Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Lancaster,Garstang or the lake district

Wikiposts

Lancaster,Garstang or the lake district

Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice
Default Lancaster,Garstang or the lake district

We have been in Alberta for almost 10yrs,and have never really felt like we could retire here.It has never really felt like its HOME!
So we have finally made our minds up to move back. We want to move to a nice area ( country side,not city),so we are thinking of Lancaster (out skirts),Garstang or the lake district...Windermere
does anyone have any experiances with any of these places?
many thanks
Old Jan 11th 2011, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lancaster,Garstang or the lake district

this is my turf... i lived in Preston for many years and hence my alias 'Fulwood".. Garstang from what I remember is a lovely place - it may have grown in years since I left but it will never be a city - lovely village kind of feel. I love Lancaster and always have.. I like the history and think it's locale is superb. Well what can one say about Lake District not already been said.. I personally don't think you can go wrong in either of these places.. if you need to work though and depending on what you do Lancaster MIGHT provide more opportunites but yet again not huge thriving metropolis.. good luck..
Old Jan 11th 2011, 3:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

We went on holiday to Heysham the village is lovely, and close to the sea
Old Jan 11th 2011, 7:59 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
We have been in Alberta for almost 10yrs,and have never really felt like we could retire here.It has never really felt like its HOME!
So we have finally made our minds up to move back. We want to move to a nice area ( country side,not city),so we are thinking of Lancaster (out skirts),Garstang or the lake district...Windermere
does anyone have any experiances with any of these places?
many thanks

I don't know Garstang and have only spent one day in Lancaster, though thought it seemed like a decent place.

Now The Lake District is somewhere very close to my heart and I spent 6 months living in Bowness on Windermere from May 2009 until November 2009. The only drawback (besides the rain ) is the employment situation. There didn't seem to be an awful lot of jobs around, and a lot of it was seasonal, it depends on how you are fixed that way I suppose.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:16 am
Just Joined

ibuk2010 is an unknown quantity at this point

I grew up just out side Carnforth, 7 miles north of Lancaster. If you like the lancaster area and you want country side I would consider this area or maybe Kendal. You are within easy distance to supermarkets, motorways and countryside.
Old Jan 15th 2011, 5:20 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

I have friends in Halton and its a beautiful little village with good access to Morecombe and Lancaster.....if we do end up having to go back to the UK, and we don't then that's where we would go.
good luck
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatcat65
I have friends in Halton and its a beautiful little village with good access to Morecombe and Lancaster.....if we do end up having to go back to the UK, and we don't then that's where we would go.
good luck
Oh i will check that out when we go back on a research trip...thanks ! my friends from Cochrane just went back to the UK about 6 months ago too...they are loving it and are pleased they made the decision to go home
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

i also know carnforth, arnside and silverdale really well. lovely parts of country..
Old Jan 15th 2011, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fulwood
i also know carnforth, arnside and silverdale really well. lovely parts of country..
is there much to do for kids there ?
Old Jan 15th 2011, 9:45 am
BE Forum Addict

I spent most holidays for over a decade in Silverdale. We are now talking about the 70s. It is small village with couple of pubs, schools etc. We were always kept busy as there were 50 of us, we went for long walks over every hill and through every dale. We were kept busy. When you ask is there a lot to do what do you mean exactly?
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:24 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibuk2010
I grew up just out side Carnforth, 7 miles north of Lancaster. If you like the lancaster area and you want country side I would consider this area or maybe Kendal. You are within easy distance to supermarkets, motorways and countryside.
My part of the world too, I grew up outside Carnforth and went to school in Carnforth. Kirby Lonsdale would be my place of choice if I was ever to move back.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
is there much to do for kids there ?
Small places with limited public transport but very pretty. Nearest high schools would be Carnforth or Lancaster (via train or bus). How old are your children?
Old Jan 18th 2011, 9:09 am
Just Joined

expatdon is an unknown quantity at this point

Grange over Sands should be on your list. Good public transport routes to Morcambe and Lancaster but quiet and sheltered being tucked away at the top of Morcambe Bay.