Lack of UK credit history

Old Jul 11th 2017, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lack of UK credit history

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Several members have mentioned that this was successful for them. I don't think the UK has social security numbers?
ahhhh this thread is clearly labelled UK Credit History I was thinking US
Old Jul 11th 2017, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

M0zza is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Don't think that is correct, if you open a bank account, then get their own credit card you should be OK especially if they can see you are getting your salary paid into their account. Mortgage ALWAYS relies on a credit check, so getting that started should be a first step, as I said offering 6 months up front is usually the best way.
Just referring to my own experience really.

Got mortgage no problem. Store and credit cards out of the question.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 5:32 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Abercrombie123
Hi everyone - firstly can I say what a great forum this is for help and advice! My family is moving back to the UK from Australia next year (I am British). When it comes to things like renting a flat, getting credit cards, getting a car loan etc - what have people found re not having a credit history in the UK? Thanks
For renting, if one of you has a job offer in writing that will cover the rent payments, you dont need to pay six months up front. I did that last year. I think the annual salary gross has to be 30 x monthly rent.
Old Jul 11th 2017, 10:45 pm
Forum Regular

Abercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond reputeAbercrombie123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a national insurance number (as I'm British) - do they expire at all I wonder?!
Old Jul 11th 2017, 10:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have a national insurance number (as I'm British) - do they expire at all I wonder?!
No.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:21 pm
Just Joined

CAH58 is an unknown quantity at this point

My hubby returned to UK ahead of me, he was struggling to get a rental that accepts pets. Eventually we found one, but somebody else turned up at the viewing and the gave him preference! She then took my husband to a 2 bed terraced, no front garden and only a yard at the back! He wasn't happy but getting desperate as it was harder than we thought getting a rental (probably harder because we have the dog). We had to pay almost £400 in 'credit checks' and application. In the end, we saw one for sale we liked, my hubby came to view it and offered to purchase. He had been to the bank and was offered a mortgage 'in principle'. The house was vacant, the owner lives 2 doors away, and we cheekily asked if we could rent it until mortgage was sorted. He agreed!
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAH58
My hubby returned to UK ahead of me, he was struggling to get a rental that accepts pets. Eventually we found one, but somebody else turned up at the viewing and the gave him preference! She then took my husband to a 2 bed terraced, no front garden and only a yard at the back! He wasn't happy but getting desperate as it was harder than we thought getting a rental (probably harder because we have the dog). We had to pay almost £400 in 'credit checks' and application. In the end, we saw one for sale we liked, my hubby came to view it and offered to purchase. He had been to the bank and was offered a mortgage 'in principle'. The house was vacant, the owner lives 2 doors away, and we cheekily asked if we could rent it until mortgage was sorted. He agreed!
Its funny. We returned last year, were looking at some of the most desirable / hard to get places in the UK - Windsor, Ascot Sunningdale. We have a dog and had no problem. In fact the only problem we had was too much choice and had arguments about which to go for. Wasn't asked for any thing additional other than the normal bond and one months rent in advance. Oh, I think we had to pay an extra £200 in bond for the dog.

Six months later we moved to Scotland and found a perfect place on line. Tiny VERY sought after village (it is picture postcard and a conservation village surrounded by stunning countryside but only 18 miles from Glasgow) again, no issue.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:39 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Great - thank you all again! So useful to hear from others who have been through the same experiences.
Before I arrived back in the UK from Canada in 2015, I opened an HSBC Canada account and, through them, an HSBC-UK account using a temporary UK address (my FIL's). My Canada credit rating was recognised by HSBC-UK and I got an HSBC Mastercard with £5000 limit before arrival.

Being retired, I paid 3 months rent upfront plus 1 month security deposit on a flat and later paid cash to buy a nicer one where, after research, we had chosen to live. I also paid cash for a "nearly new" car.

I realise that not all of this will be possible for everyone, but I recommend the HSBC bit.
Old Jul 13th 2017, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

CAH58 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
Its funny. We returned last year, were looking at some of the most desirable / hard to get places in the UK - Windsor, Ascot Sunningdale. We have a dog and had no problem. In fact the only problem we had was too much choice and had arguments about which to go for. Wasn't asked for any thing additional other than the normal bond and one months rent in advance. Oh, I think we had to pay an extra £200 in bond for the dog.

Six months later we moved to Scotland and found a perfect place on line. Tiny VERY sought after village (it is picture postcard and a conservation village surrounded by stunning countryside but only 18 miles from Glasgow) again, no issue.
It's crazy how agents vary from town to town isn't it? Almost every time I found a house online and emailed to the hubby, it had either already been taken OR didn't accept pets. Some agents charged much less for their credit checks and applications, so I suppose shop around. Luckily we found the house we want to buy and it was vacant. We put the usual bond down and 1 months rent upfront, then hopefully soon it will be ours!
Old Jul 19th 2017, 10:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

So if I understand correctly.
When one returns to the UK one has no credit rating.

HSBC is a bank which is prepared to offer a credit card alongside a bank account assuming, I suppose , one is depositing funds into it.

A pay as you go mobile is another way to kick start a rating.

1 - Would any credit rating one has in another country (Canada/NZ/Oz) be taken into consideration. When we arrived in NZ our rating int he UK counted for nothing.

2 - If one has kept a UK bank account would that help with a credit rating? I rather think there needs to be some form of activity , buying on the never never , to produce a credit rating.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
So if I understand correctly.
When one returns to the UK one has no credit rating.

HSBC is a bank which is prepared to offer a credit card alongside a bank account assuming, I suppose , one is depositing funds into it.

A pay as you go mobile is another way to kick start a rating.

1 - Would any credit rating one has in another country (Canada/NZ/Oz) be taken into consideration. When we arrived in NZ our rating int he UK counted for nothing.

2 - If one has kept a UK bank account would that help with a credit rating? I rather think there needs to be some form of activity , buying on the never never , to produce a credit rating.
Addressing the credit card issue: HSBC were not willing to extend us a credit card until 6 months of residency, despite the fact that we have Premier accounts (with credit cards) in the USA, and transferred a large sum of money into the newly opened UK account.
Old Jul 21st 2017, 9:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perth
Addressing the credit card issue: HSBC were not willing to extend us a credit card until 6 months of residency, despite the fact that we have Premier accounts (with credit cards) in the USA, and transferred a large sum of money into the newly opened UK account.
YMMV I guess.