KKB's questions about Richmond-upon-Thames & surrounding areas

KKB's questions about Richmond-upon-Thames & surrounding areas

Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:09 am
KKB
Forum Regular

KKB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default KKB's questions about Richmond-upon-Thames & surrounding areas

Hello!
We are a family of four (DH & I are in our 40's and our boys are 9 & 6). My husband and boys were issued the family visa and we are now planning our move to London. I am writing this post seeking advice on good areas to consider for renting a house in the 4 boroughs we have identified in London. These are (1) Richmond-Upon-Thames (2) Kingston-upon-Thames (3) Merton (4) Wandsworth. Key factors to consider are
- outstanding/good primary state schools
- safe area/low crime rate
- proximity to public transport to Central London (for work)
These are top of mind
Thank you in advance for any advice/inputs.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 8:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best relocation areas in the UK?

Originally Posted by KKB
Hello!
We are a family of four (DH & I are in our 40's and our boys are 9 & 6). My husband and boys were issued the family visa and we are now planning our move to London. I am writing this post seeking advice on good areas to consider for renting a house in the 4 boroughs we have identified in London. These are (1) Richmond-Upon-Thames (2) Kingston-upon-Thames (3) Merton (4) Wandsworth. Key factors to consider are
- outstanding/good primary state schools
- safe area/low crime rate
- proximity to public transport to Central London (for work)
These are top of mind
Thank you in advance for any advice/inputs.
I'll move your post in to a thread of your own, you'll get more responses that way and the OP's thread won't be taken over by questions unrelated to his own.

All are nice areas, but all of the things you mention (plus lower crime figures) could be found in cheaper areas too, so any other criteria?

Last edited by christmasoompa; Dec 19th 2019 at 8:34 am.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 10:25 am
KKB
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I'll move your post in to a thread of your own, you'll get more responses that way and the OP's thread won't be taken over by questions unrelated to his own.

All are nice areas, but all of the things you mention (plus lower crime figures) could be found in cheaper areas too, so any other criteria?
Thank you christmasoompa
Well, the only other criteria was to be close to family (my brother is in Wandsworth) and friends (in Rynes Park) in the initial phase of our move - atleast till the our kids finish the current school year.
However, I would love to learn about other areas you could suggest. Cheapers areas are always of interest. Thank you once again!
Old Dec 19th 2019, 10:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KKB
Well, the only other criteria was to be close to family (my brother is in Wandsworth) and friends (in Rynes Park) in the initial phase of our move - atleast till the our kids finish the current school year.
However, I would love to learn about other areas you could suggest. Cheapers areas are always of interest. Thank you once again!
Ah, that makes sense, if you have family there already it would probably be helpful to settle near to them. Anywhere further out of London will be cheaper, and commuting is often just as quick as from places like Richmond (example - we live in Berkshire and fast trains are only 27 minutes to Paddington). But if you have a support network near to those areas, probably a good place to aim for to help make the transition easier.

Best of luck.
Old Dec 19th 2019, 10:57 am
KKB
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Ah, that makes sense, if you have family there already it would probably be helpful to settle near to them. Anywhere further out of London will be cheaper, and commuting is often just as quick as from places like Richmond (example - we live in Berkshire and fast trains are only 27 minutes to Paddington). But if you have a support network near to those areas, probably a good place to aim for to help make the transition easier.

Best of luck.
Thank you!
Now we are looking for advice on the good ares within these boroughs. We were hoping to identify where to live based on the school we get into , however, I have learnt that it has to work the other way round.