Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Kiwi moving back to Uk - advice

Wikiposts

Kiwi moving back to Uk - advice

Old May 6th 2013, 3:43 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kiwi moving back to Uk - advice

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
We decided to go to a totally new area and so headed for North Yorkshire. I love it every day. I am so glad to be home.
Good Luck
It's stories like yours that convince me that it can be done, i.e. a successful return home to the UK. Not necessarily to the county they were living in before they left.

OK, some return to the UK and can't settle, but it seems some can.
Old May 6th 2013, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SUPERCAD
I didnt even touch on Schools lets just say we thought it sadly lacking.

Funny that we had trouble with Torbay High School got quite nasty at one point. I see you were in Torbay, same School maybe?
No, a school nearby, Intermediate and high school. I don't often mention the schooling which was our single biggest reason for leaving as some people think its great.
As someone whos kids did schooling for quite some time in the UK before going to NZ I was really not happy.
Old May 6th 2013, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
It's stories like yours that convince me that it can be done, i.e. a successful return home to the UK. Not necessarily to the county they were living in before they left.

OK, some return to the UK and can't settle, but it seems some can.
Hi Snap shot.

It did seem much harder coming home. As I said though I realized I didn't want to live there forever so it was just a case of when.
We were very lucky with my husbands work which made it easier. I hate flying and really had to block the thought of flying all that way out of my mind.
I closed everything down in NZ sorted everything out and when I got on the plane all my fear lifted as I just felt yay Im going home!
I do think it is a bit easier to go somewhere totally new. We really are in a lovely area which we picked off a map after watching Location.

Groceries are definitely cheaper here, utilities also as you have so much more choice.

I started to feel retired in NZ, I just wanted to find some life again.
Old May 6th 2013, 8:37 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799

I realized I didn't want to live there forever so it was just a case of when.

I closed everything down in NZ sorted everything out and when I got on the plane all my fear lifted as I just felt yay Im going home!

I do think it is a bit easier to go somewhere totally new. We really are in a lovely area which we picked off a map after watching Location.

I started to feel retired in NZ, I just wanted to find some life again.
Hi Space cake, I've edited what I've quoted from you, I agree with so much of what you've written. I can relate to what you've said and how you feel.
Old May 10th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

I moved back in February but have found the cost of living worse I live in Oxfordshire and have noticed even the cheapest petrol is 7-8p dearer a litre, housing is pricey and food is as expensive as NZ more choice yes but local supermarkets seem to pack meat at one weight one price which proves costly. Going out for a cafe / pub is more expensive than NZ in my opinion also days out we looked at going to Warwick castle last weekend because we are a family of 3 we do not warrant the family ticket so the price for entry was £82 if we took another person it would of gone to £85. The local Lido wanted £12 that is 2 spectators and one swimmer, Khandallah pool used to be just $1! as we live so rural we can not get the deals on electricity, phone, or internet or TV although I would hardly call Chipping Norton rural! public services here are cash starved so certainly the local roads around us are in a shocking state,
I thought NZ schools were behind but I have been proved wrong our 12 year is ahead in every area other than French and German which is hardly surprising, he has won prizes for his knowledge of world geography and History all through the experience of living abroad in essence it depends on you lifestyle and where you base youselves.
good luck only you can make the judgement and it depends on where and what you want from life
Old May 10th 2013, 4:02 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk
Warwick castle last weekend because we are a family of 3 we do not warrant the family ticket so the price for entry was £82 if we took another person it would of gone to £85.
Try family membership of the National Trust then for a similar sum you can visit as many times as you like.

Hope you are not planning on ping-ponging again? It can't be that bad surely?
Old May 10th 2013, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Almo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud ofAlmo has much to be proud of

Janey do you think you'll head back to NZ?
Old May 11th 2013, 9:13 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Try family membership of the National Trust then for a similar sum you can visit as many times as you like.

Hope you are not planning on ping-ponging again? It can't be that bad surely?
Warwick castle is privately owned and nothing to do with National Trust...
Old May 11th 2013, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Warwick castle is privately owned and nothing to do with National Trust...
I know duh. I am suggesting National Trust membership as an alternative duh.
Old May 11th 2013, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

SUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to beholdSUPERCAD is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by janeyk
I moved back in February but have found the cost of living worse I live in Oxfordshire and have noticed even the cheapest petrol is 7-8p dearer a litre, housing is pricey and food is as expensive as NZ more choice yes but local supermarkets seem to pack meat at one weight one price which proves costly. Going out for a cafe / pub is more expensive than NZ in my opinion also days out we looked at going to Warwick castle last weekend because we are a family of 3 we do not warrant the family ticket so the price for entry was £82 if we took another person it would of gone to £85. The local Lido wanted £12 that is 2 spectators and one swimmer, Khandallah pool used to be just $1! as we live so rural we can not get the deals on electricity, phone, or internet or TV although I would hardly call Chipping Norton rural! public services here are cash starved so certainly the local roads around us are in a shocking state,
I thought NZ schools were behind but I have been proved wrong our 12 year is ahead in every area other than French and German which is hardly surprising, he has won prizes for his knowledge of world geography and History all through the experience of living abroad in essence it depends on you lifestyle and where you base youselves.
good luck only you can make the judgement and it depends on where and what you want from life
This goes completely against what i experienced while i was there. this is an interesting site that allows you to compare different cities in the world to live

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living...n&city2=Oxford