Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Which Kindle (or similar) to Buy

Which Kindle (or similar) to Buy

Old Jun 13th 2014, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Kindle (or similar) to Buy

Little late to the game but I would recommend the iPad as well... Had an iPad mini up till a few months ago-I didn't use it often enough to warrant keeping it so I sold it. But that's not to say it wouldn't be good for what you want it for, it just didn't fit my needs.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gozitanguygoinghome99xx
Little late to the game but I would recommend the iPad as well... Had an iPad mini up till a few months ago-I didn't use it often enough to warrant keeping it so I sold it. But that's not to say it wouldn't be good for what you want it for, it just didn't fit my needs.
I am a laptop person because I "create" so much on it and need the tools. However, when it comes to reading books AND having some fun, an iPad seems like the way to go. The big advantage is its portability.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

I received a Kindle paper white as a Christmas gift and I really like it. I have the Kindle app on my iPad but I find the Kindle PW much easier to read and it is much lighter, slimmer and smaller.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
I received a Kindle paper white as a Christmas gift and I really like it. I have the Kindle app on my iPad but I find the Kindle PW much easier to read and it is much lighter, slimmer and smaller.
That's great. I was wondering which model to get if indeed I get a Kindle and now I know.

Can you do anything else on the Kindle other than read books? I assume it connects to the Internet.
Old Jun 13th 2014, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
That's great. I was wondering which model to get if indeed I get a Kindle and now I know.

Can you do anything else on the Kindle other than read books? I assume it connects to the Internet.

I think you would need a Kindle FIRE to do browsing on the internet, and I can't comment on how good it is at that. (I use an iPad for mobile internet access).

The Kindle PW connects to the internet via any wireless network so you can download books and magazines etc.
Old Jun 14th 2014, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

moggi1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

You can browse the internet on the Paper White with the 'experimental browser' though I was told in market Research that it might not stay as a feature.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

Barrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really niceBarrybriggs is just really nice

I have a Kindle Fire and I'm quite pleased with it. You can connect to the internet with it as well as read books; newspapers, store documents, photos and listen to music. Also it has a color screen. Can't gaurantee how long it will last, though. But, I enjoy using it. Originally I had a plain black and white kindle which had no internet connection. Plugged it into my computer to load stuff onto it. I had it for about 3/4 years.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Which Kindle (or similar) to Buy

I have an elderly Kindle Keyboard. It works fine and is easy to download books via WiFi. It does have a rudimentary browser but connection to the internet is very slow plus it's a pain in the backside to navigate using the multi way cursor!
I have the Kindle app on my desktop , tablet & phone and they work fine.
so i'd say if you just want to read books then a kindle PW is fine but if you already have a tablet etc then just get the Kindle app as it's FREE!

I tend to use my Kindle to read in bed as its easier to hold but when it finally gives up the ghost I probably will not bother replacing it.Its biggest advantage is the battery life. with WiFi off it lasts weeks , with WiFi on , it still lasts a few days.
Old Jun 15th 2014, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I am a laptop person because I "create" so much on it and need the tools. However, when it comes to reading books AND having some fun, an iPad seems like the way to go. The big advantage is its portability.
I'm the same way.