British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Which Kindle (or similar) to Buy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/kindle-similar-buy-836232/)

windsong Jun 11th 2014 4:57 pm

Which Kindle (or similar) to Buy

I am considering buying a Kindle. I didn't realize these were not expensive. It would be a way I can carry my books in my purse! But which model should I buy?? I have never used one of these things before! I just hope it is gentler on the eyes than reading a book on a computer screen.

I see that you can read textbooks on a Kindle. If this is the case, I might indulge in one and leave some of my hard copy books behind when I move. I'd save on shipping, too.

Suggestions?

Editha Jun 11th 2014 5:09 pm

Re: Which Kindle (or similar) to Buy

I gave up on Kindle after mine broke down when it was just out of warranty. I use the Kindle app on an iPad mini instead. It is more expensive, but I don't use a smart phone, and the iPad mini has connectivity, which makes it useful when travelling.

I wouldn't recommend e-books as textbooks. You can't annotate them. I'd prefer a hard copy.

windsong Jun 11th 2014 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11298194)
I gave up on Kindle after mine broke down when it was just out of warranty. I use the Kindle app on an iPad mini instead. It is more expensive, but I don't use a smart phone, and the iPad mini has connectivity, which makes it useful when travelling.

I wouldn't recommend e-books as textbooks. You can't annotate them. I'd prefer a hard copy.

Thanks, Editha. I wondered about anotations. I do that a lot with my textbooks, as well as use Post-It flags to flag certain pages, along with sticky notes. :eek:

Editha Jun 11th 2014 5:26 pm

I wasn't being completely accurate saying you can't annotate. There is a keyboard and you can annotate with that. But, it is much more time consuming, and more difficult to find the place again.

windsong Jun 11th 2014 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Editha (Post 11298232)
I wasn't being completely accurate saying you can't annotate. There is a keyboard and you can annotate with that. But, it is much more time consuming, and more difficult to find the place again.

I think that's why I have stuck to hard copies so far - the ability to annotate and "easily" find the place again. Besides, I am not sure how good the view would on a Kindle screen for a a double page viewed flat. Sometimes it is good to have that view.

Maybe I will try to find a Kindle app for my computer, a Macbook Pro. I could use it for some books but not others.

lf1 Jun 11th 2014 5:57 pm

I gave OH the most recent version of Kindle at Christmas. Much to his surprise, he loves it, especially when travelling. I have the Kindle app on my iPad, so we can share books. Even although I use iBooks and the Kindle app, I will still consider getting a Kindle in the future as you can read outdoors without the glare from a tablet screen.

windsong Jun 11th 2014 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 11298282)
I gave OH the most recent version of Kindle at Christmas. Much to his surprise, he loves it, especially when travelling. I have the Kindle app on my iPad, so we can share books. Even although I use iBooks and the Kindle app, I will still consider getting a Kindle in the future as you can read outdoors without the glare from a tablet screen.

Trouble is, I don't read much fiction at all. It's all non-fiction - and mainly books that teach. Sometimes I have to go from one page in the book to another for reference or even flip between diagrams on the same page. I am not sure how good it would be for this.

It certainly would be great for fiction, though - entertainment reading. I might still get one as it would be good for outdoors, as you suggest.

What is iBooks? Is it Apple's version of eBooks?

Editha Jun 11th 2014 6:04 pm

Yes. They have their own shop. I use it on the iPad, but only for books they stock which I can't get for the Kindle.

lf1 Jun 11th 2014 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by windsong (Post 11298289)
Trouble is, I don't read much fiction at all. It's all non-fiction - and mainly books that teach. Sometimes I have to go from one page in the book to another for reference or even flip between diagrams on the same page. I am not sure how good it would be for this.

It certainly would be great for fiction, though - entertainment reading. I might still get one as it would be good for outdoors, as you suggest.

I am in the process of re-designing my garden, so I have been downloading some books to my iPad on that subject. The iPad wins for that as it captures the coloured photography very well. For novels, the Kindle gets my vote.

lgabriel73 Jun 11th 2014 6:15 pm

I use an iPad and you can download the kindle app onto it so you can tag things, highlight etc. I had Kindle before and would never by another one.

windsong Jun 11th 2014 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by lf1 (Post 11298304)
I am in the process of re-designing my garden, so I have been downloading some books to my iPad on that subject. The iPad wins for that as it captures the coloured photography very well. For novels, the Kindle gets my vote.

Originally Posted by lgabriel73 (Post 11298311)
I use an iPad and you can download the kindle app onto it so you can tag things, highlight etc. I had Kindle before and would never by another one.

I think an iPad is best for me all around. :) Thanks, everyone!

Karrie72 Jun 11th 2014 7:33 pm

I have the paper white kindle which has a handy light. You don't get the glare like with the iPad kindle app and the battery lasts forever. I found the iPad to be heavy also. I did invest in an very soft, leather case which takes away some of the machine like feel of it.

Vadio Jun 12th 2014 7:19 am

I was given a Kindle Fire HDX last November. It's great for reading, but as a tablet it falls far short of the mark. I bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (8 inch) for DH a few months later, and it is FAR superior. Access to all the apps, ability to extend storage with a card, and he uses the Kindle app to read everything.

At the time, I knew so little about tablets, but knowing what I know now, I would definitely buy a 'regular' tablet and not a Kindle. I've also noticed the response time is getting longer and longer, despite doing a 'clean' on a regular basis. Plus, almost every app I downloaded I ended up removing. So many just don't work well on a Kindle.

For the money (cheaper, far cheaper over there), IMHO, buy a decent 2014 version of a brand-name tablet. I would go with Samsung Tab 4 or the new Google Nexus if I were buying now. I personally don't like Apple products and the new Microsoft surface are still too expensive for me to consider on a cost-benefit basis.

mikelincs Jun 12th 2014 7:50 am

I have a Kindle (original version) and a Nook, the Nook cost £29 and is excellent, touch screen, accepts epub books. The Knidle requires books to be in Mobi format, which are less common that epub, but you can easily convert one to the other by using the Calibre programms (free).

All are very easy to use, and are easily visible outside, in fact the kindle works better in sunlight than in artificial light, and neither has any screen glare.

moggi1964 Jun 13th 2014 1:28 am

Originally Posted by Karrie72 (Post 11298414)
I have the paper white kindle which has a handy light. You don't get the glare like with the iPad kindle app and the battery lasts forever. I found the iPad to be heavy also. I did invest in an very soft, leather case which takes away some of the machine like feel of it.

I have this and it is very good.

Always thought I would never get one then did market research for it and was offered it at the end (or $200). I took the Kindle!