Killerhales July Update

Old Jul 3rd 2012, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default Killerhales July Update

Well, here we are, four months back, so far so good overall.

I'm working in the North West, we've bought a house in Herefordshire (about two hours from my workplace) so I'm also in the process of buying an apartment about 30 minutes walk from work. Here's one person who is grateful to the banks! My daughter's place at Bristol uni is confirmed and she is waiting to hear what accomodation she will be allocated.

My car insurance got cancelled because I couldn't provide a UK driving licence with my current (new) address on it quickly enough for the brokers (Esure) so I am now with Chaucer Direct. They were happy to accept a letter from my Australian employers saying that I had a clean record, and they didn't ask to see the licence. This hasn't got me my no claims record back, but I have got a good introductory rate. I just got my new licence and photocard the other day.

The NatWest bank has been excellent. We now have current account, savings account, offset mortgage and a credit card. No-one else would give us a credit card, we even got turned down by Tesco's!

So that's most of the practical stuff. On a more emotional level, I know my wife is very happy to be back. It came as a surprise that my daughter had to be resident for six months before she could get her L plates, so this has delayed my wife's plans to return to the workforce, as she drives my daughter to work and back every day. However, we are still in the "settling in" phase at home so there is plenty to do there for the time being.

We are living close by to one of my daughter's best friends, so she has found a way in to the local social scene. She's happy at work, but essentially is ready to start uni now, rather than October 1st.

Last practical thing is that my wife needs a bit more space for her quilting passion; so take a look at "Riverside Shepherd Huts" and you will see what we have in mind!

Apart from all that we are praying for some sunshine as it effects sales in the business I'm in, but also the back garden is getting quite squishy underfoot.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 10:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Killerhales July Update

Glad it is all working out for you. Can I ask where you are in Herefordshire as that is where we have moved to, we knew absolutely nothing about the region but absolutely love it.
Old Jul 9th 2012, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So happy for you Killerhales, well done on settling in. Didnt know about that L plate thing, did your daughter drive in Aus. If so cant she drive on that licence for a year.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 3:52 pm
Just Joined

HomeFinder is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to hear you have settled so well. My daughter has just finished her 1st year in Bristol, so if you need any info relating to student accommodation I'd be happy to help.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

tribec is an unknown quantity at this point

Please forgive this question but are you having to pay international fees for your daughter to attend Bristol, and if not, how did you get around it?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 6:54 am
Just Joined

We returned to the UK last year so, no, we pay home fees.
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tribec
Please forgive this question but are you having to pay international fees for your daughter to attend Bristol, and if not, how did you get around it?
The rule is that you have to be resident in the EU for three years prior to the start of the course. We are paying international fees. The only "way around it" that I'm aware of is that while living outside the EU you are employed on a "temporary" contract by a UK employer (not the case for us).

I know of a very wealthy banker who has been away from the UK for donkey's years but always on "temporary" contracts and who has retained a house in the UK. As a result his kids are paying home fees.

Them's the rules! I've learned to accept what I can't influence :-)
Old Jul 20th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HomeFinder
Glad to hear you have settled so well. My daughter has just finished her 1st year in Bristol, so if you need any info relating to student accommodation I'd be happy to help.
Thanks Homefinder. My daughter has applied for a place in Richmond Terrace, where did yours stay?
Old Jul 23rd 2012, 7:29 am
Just Joined

She couldn't get halls so took a private let - made such good friends with the girls she shared with that they have all just moved in to a new place for their second year.