Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Keeping my UK bank account

Keeping my UK bank account

Old Jul 8th 2018, 10:05 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping my UK bank account

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Thanks love, and very sorry to hear that bloody dog's been hanging around. You've had a pretty crap time of it this year - I'll keep my fingers crossed that the dog's ready to move on.

Sounds like you have a premier account with RBS - I did look into that but similar to others, they want £25,000 - £50,000 invested with them. We won't be returning to the UK to live so I don't want to tie up funds there. It wouldn't be a huge problem not having a UK account if we didn't have rent payments going into it. Just gives me the pip that we're registered for tax self-assessment with HMRC and obviously pay tax on the rental income, but we can't maintain a UK bank account to facilitate that without a huge palaver!

All the last minute admin stuff for the move is giving me the shites, TBH. It was easier to move here than it is to leave!
Thanks love, I'm hoping his tail starts wagging and he decides to run after a large, heavy stick and not return!
Ours is just a bog-standard current account, wish we had the funds for a premier account. Things have obviously changed since we left.
Good that you have managed to find a solution now. Does seem to be too much red tape in the UK.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

Interestingly we've just done the reverse with NAB. We needed to update our mobile on our Australian account so we could do transfers from that account to family etc and we just contacted our banker via email and she changed to our UK one. Would NEVER happen here like that.
Old Jul 10th 2018, 9:49 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

It's odd to me that my husband, 16 years out of the UK, still has trouble with the bigger banks there - to the point that he's previously had to have a video call with one of them to prove who he is. (Don't ask me how that proves it, I have no idea.) Me, I've been with the shitty little Yorkshire Bank for about 35 years now and no problem. I spoke to them when we were leaving and they bent over backwards to keep me.

The address on my account is my Australian one (and previously Singapore - though they did initially insist on sending mail to "Singapore, Hong Kong") and I have money going in and out all the time. I do everything online but still have a working debit card I use as a back-up when I go to the UK.

Any bank that can't work it out for you is not worth staying with.
Old Jul 11th 2018, 8:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Michali. I'd still be able to get the rent payments deposited into my account, and to use online banking for some things - the issue with my bank is that some of the things I need to do while in my online account generate a text message with a code as an extra security measure, and I need to enter that code before I can continue. My bank will only text or call a UK phone number. Not sure if that's a new thing or just applies to some banks.
I have the same with my UK bank account - they know we’re in Canada but have to text a code if I want to transfer more than a certain amount or set up a new payment. I have some call credit on my skype account so I call them on those infrequent occasions to get it sorted.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:51 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

14 years in and I still have my UK accounts using my mother's address and an email address that doesn't identify where I am.

It only seems to be "wrong" to open an account when not UK resident but okay to maintain an already existing one. But some people have encountered problems and there was a recent thread - Barclaycard, I think - where they appear to be tightening up, but still accepting a UK address.

I've not had any problems with phone contact, but I don't have a mobile phone so that's out of the question anyway. That thing you describe in your first post...what would happen if they couldn't text you a code? A card reader maybe?
Old Jul 14th 2018, 6:37 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
That thing you describe in your first post...what would happen if they couldn't text you a code? A card reader maybe?
I asked them about that - I thought they may have something like the security device my Aussie bank gave me before we moved over here. Whenever I need to do something in my online account that would normally require the bank to text me a code, I press the button on the device and it generates a 'one time' code. Brilliant, but unfortunately not available from my UK bank.

So the short answer is, if the UK bank couldn't text me a code, I wouldn't be able to operate the account as I need to. Absolutely no way around it apparently, and don't worry I asked, and asked and.......
Old Jul 14th 2018, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I've not had any problems with phone contact, but I don't have a mobile phone so that's out of the question anyway. That thing you describe in your first post...what would happen if they couldn't text you a code? A card reader maybe?
For a good few years while living in the USA my UK bank had a physical device they issued to provide an authorisation code. They still have that device available for folks without a smart phone but for those that own a smart phone you can use their app for the 2nd level of verification. Most stuff you can do through a regular log in and password, including paying bills to those folks you have previously set up as payees, otherwise 2nd level verification through the device or app is needed.
Old Jul 14th 2018, 12:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by durham_lad
For a good few years while living in the USA my UK bank had a physical device they issued to provide an authorisation code. ...
Yep, the card reader. Got sent to me somewhere around 2010. I had to use it every time I made a bill payment but after a while they said it was no longer needed - presumably as it was every month - but I think it's still needed to set up a new bill.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 1:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Banks still do give out the devices that provide an authorisation code. My husband doesn't have a smart phone so can't run an app - he recently received one of these devices to access our joint account. Mind you, that was firstdirect who are still good on customer service.

If you do have to look at getting a new account, I would recommend firstdirect. They didn't turn a hair when I lived in the US for three years, operated the account as normal and happy to have my US address associated with the account. Usually when I call them I provide my postcode as part of the authentication but as I was out of the UK they provided another code for me to use instead. Worked perfectly fine. The smartphone app generated code that let me log on and do all online banking as usual.

The only fly in the ointment has been assuring the HSBC/firstdirect backroom guys that FATCA no longer applies to me as I have returned to the UK and have no US ties. But I blame US government overreach for that, not the bank!
Old Sep 12th 2018, 12:56 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Back in Oz and have had no problems to date using my UK Halifax account. But when I logged on yesterday I had a message, before I could continue to my account details I had to confirm where I was physically living right now, which country/countries I was resident for tax purposes, etc. Maybe my recent HMRC tax return triggered that.
Anyway, I was truthful with all the questions, I advised that I was now resident in Australia, provided my ATO tax file number etc, but left my brother in law's UK address as my contact address. No idea what they'll make of all that but I'm sure I'll find out very soon
Old Sep 25th 2018, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

I suppose the only time it may become an issue is if someone returns to the UK and let’s say had to apply for credit or a mortgage,. Don’t they ask where you’ve lived for the last 3 years? and if your bank account and credit cards have a relatives address then I don’t know if that would complicate things etc.... what do you others think ?
Old Sep 25th 2018, 3:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Holly, that's a very useful tip about Callcentric. I think I've resolved the issue now - I purchased a sim only from Vodaphone UK, which comes with something called 'roam further'. In a nutshell, it means that I get a UK phone number that people in the UK can call or text at local charges for them, and no charge to me. Just had to pass a credit check, and set up the monthly fee of £11 as a direct debit from my bank account.

So that's something else out the way. HMRC tax return and selling the car are this week's jobs.
If you had signed up with togglemobile you could have had both a UK and Australian phone number on the same SIM card.
https://account.togglemobile.co.uk/login.aspx?lang=en