Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Keeping British Citizenship, Getting American

Keeping British Citizenship, Getting American

Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Jasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really nice
Default Keeping British Citizenship, Getting American

Hey guys,

I'm writing this on behalf of my dad. My family would like to keep our british citizenship, as traveling with a British passport is definitely very very useful, especially since we're in the middle east quite a bit. I've heard there are ways of doing this. What would everyone recommend? We've just become eligible to apply for citizenship!

thanks! IT's nice to have a supportive community there to help.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:16 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Keeping British Citizenship, Getting American

Originally Posted by Jasonv
Hey guys,

I'm writing this on behalf of my dad. My family would like to keep our british citizenship, as traveling with a British passport is definitely very very useful, especially since we're in the middle east quite a bit. I've heard there are ways of doing this. What would everyone recommend? We've just become eligible to apply for citizenship!

thanks! IT's nice to have a supportive community there to help.
Neither country requires you to give up citizenship. Just use the US passport when entering the US. Pass the beer nuts....
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:20 pm
Just Joined

Jasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really niceJasonv is just really nice

I'm pretty sure on the US application it asks you to renounce other citizenships....?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:41 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I'm pretty sure on the US application it asks you to renounce other citizenships....?
You are correct it does state that.

And when you take the oath it which states that as well!...plus the IO at the interview will ask you.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:42 pm
crg
American Expat

crg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond reputecrg has a reputation beyond repute

It does not state that you will renounce citizenship.

It asks if you renounce your allegiance. It doesn't ask you to renounce citizenship.

With the exception of India and a few other countries, a lot of developed countries (Canada, France, Israel, US) don't give a rat's behind if you collect passports like they were frikkin baseball cards.

Last edited by crg; Sep 7th 2010 at 1:44 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by crg

It asks you to renounce your allegiance. It doesn't ask you to renounce citizenship.

With the exception of India and a few other countries, most countries don't give a rat's behind if you collect passports like they were frikkin baseball cards.
Oh okay. Thanks!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 1:43 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crg

It asks you to renounce your allegiance. It doesn't ask you to renounce citizenship.

With the exception of India and a few other countries, most countries don't give a rat's behind if you collect passports like they were frikkin baseball cards.
You are the expert but I was under a different impression!!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 2:22 pm
crg
American Expat

I hate citing wikipedia, but here goes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_nationality_law

Dual nationality and dual citizenship

Since the British Nationality Act of 1948, there is in general no restriction, in United Kingdom law, on a British national being a citizen of another country as well. So, if a British national acquires another nationality, they will not automatically lose British nationality. Similarly, a person does not need to give up any other nationality when they become British.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by crg

Since the British Nationality Act of 1948, there is in general no restriction, in United Kingdom law, on a British national being a citizen of another country as well. So, if a British national acquires another nationality, they will not automatically lose British nationality. Similarly, a person does not need to give up any other nationality when they become British.
I am pleased you did but why am I always hearing "Oh you can't have dual Citizenship" the US does not recognise it!
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:23 pm
crg
American Expat

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I am pleased you did but why am I always hearing "Oh you can't have dual Citizenship" the US does not recognise it!
That's correct, the US does not recognize dual citizenship, but they also don't prohibit it.

The US recognizes two types of people.

Type 1: US citizens
Type 2: Everybody else

So if you are a US citizen that's the end of the discussion. They don't care that you may also possess another citizenship. They generally just ignore the concept of dual citizenship.

If you are an alien with more than one citizenship and seeking a benefit, you just pick one citizenship. Which citizenship do you wish to be today? If you want to be a Canadian TN, you better present the Canadian passport. If you want to be an Australian E-3, you better present the Australian passport. You can present an expired Jamaican passport with a valid visa, and a new valid Jamaican passport, but you can't present the expired Jamaican passport bearing a valid visa, and along with a valid Trinidad passport.

Last edited by crg; Sep 7th 2010 at 3:29 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:25 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Rich Wales' guide is invaluable.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Renouncing British citizenship is a bit more involved than standing up and saying you renounce it, in typical bureaucratic style there are forms to be filled in, British forms. Filling in an American form just won't do!

Last edited by sir_eccles; Sep 8th 2010 at 5:15 am. Reason: clarifying
Old Sep 8th 2010, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Who are you hearing that from? Most other Americans I've ever met have no concept of our own citizenship laws. Next time ask them to provide their source of info and see how they splutter!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:06 am

Its been mentioned many times over the years come on come shape up you have been a member as long as me young lady
Old Sep 8th 2010, 9:22 am
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a better citation from a UK government source:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/bri...alnationality/

While British Citizens don't lose British citizenship when acquiring another nationality, certain British subjects and British Protected Persons may lose their status upon naturalization in a foreign country.

Oh and btw, i love to collect passports like they were frikkin baseball cards.

Originally Posted by crg

Last edited by dreamercon; Sep 8th 2010 at 9:27 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.