Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Just too quiet in here ....

Wikiposts

Just too quiet in here ....

Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:31 am
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Just too quiet in here ....

Right that's it where is everyone???

It's sooooooooooooo quiet in here nowadays..I know Janeyray will be busy packing etc ...

HP will be upto her eyes in nappies..!!and its contents !!

Jat..sorry mate I know your around hunny and I will email you soon..

Guitardoc?? Merlot?? where are you??I know out enjoying yourselves being back home....eating pickled onion crisps somewhere up north eh Merlot !!

Mike I know your about...come on tell us some more good stuff about being home...please !!

Glad I got that out so come on lets get chatting again soon!!Pleaseeeeeeeee

Pants
Old Apr 20th 2004, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

angelica will become famous soon enoughangelica will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just too quiet in here ....

Originally posted by Pants

It's sooooooooooooo quiet in here nowadays..I know Janeyray will be busy packing etc ...

HP will be upto her eyes in nappies..!!and its contents !!

Jat..sorry mate I know your around hunny and I will email you soon..

Guitardoc?? Merlot?? where are you??I know out enjoying yourselves being back home....eating pickled onion crisps somewhere up north eh Merlot !!

Mike I know your about...come on tell us some more good stuff about being home...please !!

Glad I got that out so come on lets get chatting again soon!!Pleaseeeeeeeee

Pants
Hi Pants, my excuse is that its been really busy in our house over the last fortnight: the kids were off school for Easter, Im getting used to this lovely cheap broadband thingy, our container arrived (yipee!!) & I was determined to get rid of the boxes asap, my mother came to stay & missed us so much while we were away she stayed a week to make up for lost time!!

Good stuff about being home, well the bad stuff might be a bit quicker: ermmmmmmmmmmm oh yes house prices are a sore point just now, no way can we afford a house right now but the rented house we have is lovely so we will stay put until we win the lottery. Its hard work at night deciding what to watch on telly as there is so much choice. OH & Ive put on weight AARGH since Ive been back as there is so much food (and wine) which tastes bloody gorgeous !!!

Seriously tho it is still a wonderful thing to be back (6 weeks on) & I dont miss Australia for anything. Its a good feeling

Angelica
Old Apr 20th 2004, 2:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Pants
Always out to please...

How about, almost everything that I've encountered back in the UK, I prefer to Oz. Eg the people. What is this boll***s about the Brits being unfriendly? Generally, I've found them to be friendlier, less superficial, more amusing and more interesting than the Aussies in Oz.

Most food tastes so much better here. It makes a great change to have real bacon, instead of fat with a bit of meat on it. I've changed my mind about Oz apples being better than those you get here - just discovered Empire apples in Waitrose - delicious!

The weather has been good - some rain, but mainly mild. Great for taking walks - through woods and across commons. Then off to the pub for a swift half..

My biggest concern is that reading the Sunday papers here takes up most of the day. Back in Oz, I could demolish the papers in 10 minutes and that included time to make a coffee!

Which reminds me, if only I could find a decent flat white....
Old Apr 20th 2004, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi to all you returnees!

In similar situation, been here in Canda for 2 years and now thinking about returning. Was just wondering did you get all your furniture sent over and then back again or did you sell stuff? An expensive hobby isn't moving back and forth!!!!!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:23 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Pants
Here I am...!!!

But not packing!!! I should be I know! We settle in less than five weeks and I have so many loose ends to tie up!!!

Phone the gas, electric etc etc etc..

Madly trying to sell the cars and not much time to do it in!!! My mind is buzzing at the moment!!! Also trying to organise our return flights and where we are going etc!!

Nightmare!!!!:scared: but a good one!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 12:16 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

im here - but i agree it has been a bit boring

i leave work 4 weeks on friday - leave mel 4 weeks on monday.. will move out of flat in 3 weeks and stay with friend....

will travel through oz - end up in perth and spend 2 weeks there and will be back in uk at end of june!

started packing boxes... sold all my stuff..

going through the nervous stage at the moment - i guess thats naturall - realising that im leaving lots of good friends here....

cant wait to leave work - its doing my head in!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:00 pm
Live the moment

Pants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond reputePants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by angelica
Hi Pants, my excuse is that its been really busy in our house over the last fortnight: the kids were off school for Easter, Im getting used to this lovely cheap broadband thingy, our container arrived (yipee!!) & I was determined to get rid of the boxes asap, my mother came to stay & missed us so much while we were away she stayed a week to make up for lost time!!

Good stuff about being home, well the bad stuff might be a bit quicker: ermmmmmmmmmmm oh yes house prices are a sore point just now, no way can we afford a house right now but the rented house we have is lovely so we will stay put until we win the lottery. Its hard work at night deciding what to watch on telly as there is so much choice. OH & Ive put on weight AARGH since Ive been back as there is so much food (and wine) which tastes bloody gorgeous !!!

Seriously tho it is still a wonderful thing to be back (6 weeks on) & I dont miss Australia for anything. Its a good feeling

Angelica

Ohhhh Angelica how lovely..alll those things you feel.

I'm so happy for you being home...what part are you from ??My mum told me house prices had risen again so we are definately going to rent for the first 6 months when we get home.

Was everything intact from the container??What shippers did you use?

I am hoping to lose the weight when I get home as I hardly walk anywhere here but back home I walked everywhere..or so it seemed. I have missed that so much and so has my bum !!!i bet the first few weeks when we get home will be a big pig-out time with all the family/friends..excellent I can't wait.

keep us posted

PANTS

Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:12 pm
Live the moment

Great for taking walks - through woods and across commons. Then off to the pub for a swift half..

[/QUOTE]

AWWWHHHHHH I want to do that sooooooooo much. Walk and then off to the local pub for a bevy. We used to do that on a sunday and we would be out walking the kids till they had rosey cheeks and red ears then head off to " The Fox" pub for a lovely pint and perhaps some good pub cooked meals.!!! yummy..!!

I just had a friend and her son over from the Uk for 10 days here in Sydney and she could not get over how rude most Aussies were. Mind you we were battling to get on the ferry's to Watson's Bay at the time and no-one could give a dam that we had a toddler and a buggy. It was a case of standing our ground both of us....luckily we are both tall. She is 5ft 10 and me 5ft 8. It certainly opened her eyes !!!

Waitrose....ohhh just love the fish counter in Waitrose,mind you I just love the food there fullstop.I was always able to get scrumptious monkfish and do one of my Jamie Oliver's dishes..that's one thing I know my Aussie hubby has missed !!

It's so nice to hear from the people who are back home...keep us posted and Mike you make me laugh....you just cannot help but put the wind up people's bums in the NZ and Oz forum...I've seen you !! LOL...

Keep them coming !!!

Pants
Old Apr 20th 2004, 4:18 pm
Live the moment

Originally posted by jat
im here - but i agree it has been a bit boring

i leave work 4 weeks on friday - leave mel 4 weeks on monday.. will move out of flat in 3 weeks and stay with friend....

will travel through oz - end up in perth and spend 2 weeks there and will be back in uk at end of june!

started packing boxes... sold all my stuff..

going through the nervous stage at the moment - i guess thats naturall - realising that im leaving lots of good friends here....

cant wait to leave work - its doing my head in!
Jat

Hiya Matey

sorry I will email you later this week. I got yours thanks.

All exciting stuff so yes you are bound to feel nervy too but just think about all the things to look forward too back home. !!

Our house is on the market now..yipppeeee just need someone to buy it. !! Early days yet so fingers crossed it won't be too long before I am posting a thread saying it's sold...

Well best go manage my babe..eeekkkk I can hear paper ripping !!!

Bye hun

Pants
:scared:
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Helloo

Pants, you're right, I am drowning in nappies!! ANd not sure if I'll ever be able to take a bath again after baby pooed in that too yesterday!! When does it end....!!?? Oh, but it's lovely having a bub...I want another already!

Mike, you'll have to stop by for a coffee....we ended up buying a proper espresso machine so we could recreate that little bit of Oz in our life....you just can't get decent coffee here. Just don't expect to sit on my patio and get hassled by flies, OK??!!

Well, got to do another round of change/feed/change in a mo......
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

It's so nice to hear from the people who are back home...keep us posted and Mike you make me laugh....you just cannot help but put the wind up people's bums in the NZ and Oz forum...I've seen you !!
Winding people up in the Nz & Oz forum? Moi? Never!...

It's just too tempting. Having experienced the stifling mediocrity that is Oz, for many years, I feel duty bound to provide some balance to the occasional bit of wild-eyed enthusiasm. I should know, I used to be one of those people!

Of course, it's great to see people going for their 'dream' - but, for many, that's what it will remain.

After a while, a lot of people that go to Oz realise that there is a lot more to life than a big house and pool (and the % that can afford that is rapidly diminishing). For many, there will be the gradual realisation that the people, relationships and culture they leave behind are far more important. Which is one of the reasons why so many Oz immigrants from the UK tend to have mainly UK friends.

My time in Oz taught me that those most likely to embrace Oz are those that have come from a very disadvantaged position - which many people from UK have not. So, a significant %age (40%+) UK immigrants are likely to be unhappy in the long term, even if they decide to remain.

As you know, the grass is not greener in Oz....and not just because of the lack of rain!
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:18 pm
Live the moment

Originally posted by HiddenPaw
Helloo

Pants, you're right, I am drowning in nappies!! ANd not sure if I'll ever be able to take a bath again after baby pooed in that too yesterday!! When does it end....!!?? Oh, but it's lovely having a bub...I want another already!

Mike, you'll have to stop by for a coffee....we ended up buying a proper espresso machine so we could recreate that little bit of Oz in our life....you just can't get decent coffee here. Just don't expect to sit on my patio and get hassled by flies, OK??!!

Well, got to do another round of change/feed/change in a mo......
Hi HP

Ekkkkk I know...I can recall M doing a poop in the bath and trying to fish it out.!!!and it seems that this little person who doesn't talk, walk yet takes up all your day and you end up getting dressed in the afternoon when its getting dark again !!!...love em though they bring you such happy times cherish it HP it really does goes very fast.!! Your are keen wanting another already!!We are trying for number 2 now..

take care hunny and give bubs a big squeeze from me...!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:22 pm
Badge

looks like this thread is getting busy so I'll will bugger off....

Mike : what Sunday paper do you get. I used to get the Sunday Times and a ritual was reading the Sport - Rugby, then Jeremy Clarkson - in the Car Section, followed by Clarkson Column in the News Review.

About a week later I might find the time to read the News section - on the way in on the train...

Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Hi HP

Ekkkkk I know...I can recall M doing a poop in the bath and trying to fish it out.!!!and it seems that this little person who doesn't talk, walk yet takes up all your day and you end up getting dressed in the afternoon when its getting dark again !!!...love em though they bring you such happy times cherish it HP it really does goes very fast.!! Your are keen wanting another already!!We are trying for number 2 now..

take care hunny and give bubs a big squeeze from me...!!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hmm, this one wasn't fishable....you know, a bit explosive. The only thing I fished out was Baby, as quick as I could!!!

Good luck with number 2! ( people might get confused now, what with us talking about poo!)

Is your first a little Skippy or a Pom?

BabyPaw sends hugs and burps, xx
Old Apr 20th 2004, 8:36 pm
Badge

Originally posted by MikeStanton

After a while, a lot of people that go to Oz realise that there is a lot more to life than a big house and pool (and the % that can afford that is rapidly diminishing).

My time in Oz taught me that those most likely to embrace Oz are those that have come from a very disadvantaged position !
good post Mike.

I consider myself to be ''disadvantaged'': on the UK housing ladder, and with 2 VERY skint parents who I won't get a bean off, but advantaged in skills, confidence, an allrounder, sportsman, attitude, health etc.

One thing I will say, is that many returning expat migrants like yourself and Dotty could walk back to the UK and even buy a 500K family house in a nice (v nice) area in London. That is beyond the reach of many of us. Also, when you have lived in a 1 bed or 2 bed flat all your life, believe me, a good sized home is great. Many migrants on this board have at least come from semis in the UK which they bought for peanuts and have grown up in semis. I'm living in a small villa - size of a modest semi in UK - and I love it - no clutter in the one lounge room...it has made an enormous difference to our quality of life - and we know that more is to come!!

Enjoy.

BM

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.