Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

just to say I am going home too - so hello!

just to say I am going home too - so hello!

Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:17 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: just to say I am going home too - so hello!

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Hello!

Some of you will know me from the Canada forum..... I am the shy, quiet one

Anway here's the score: going backs asap to get the kids (4 and 6) settled in to school and me in to Uni, think hub has an interview in Carlisle next week.....

Never been to Carlisle, know nothing about it other than basic googles.

Would like to know if you give me any advice or direction from your own experiences of moving back. Will only have been here for 10 mths, legally have to bring everything back and still have to put the house on the market too......And that's all really, so any info would be great.

I hope you are all well this spring evening
Mrs M xx
Just wanted to say good luck to you and hope all goes well. My husban and I got married (we eloped) to Gretna Green and we had our "meal" in Carlise, a couple of parents from my sons Football team lived there and they say great improvements have been made to the Town centre (it was very nice when we were there though 18 years ago) the countryside around is fabulous and you very ofen get snow each winter on the hills.....Scotland is not far and neither is Hadrians Wall etc.....
Good luck and all the best
Old Apr 4th 2008, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

geeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond reputegeeandtee has a reputation beyond repute

I have a real soft spot for Carlisle, our son was born there!. The countryside is amazing, some beautiful little villages (and pubs) up there and, I bet house prices aren't too bad either.
I hope everything works out for you, I do miss that soft Cumbrian rain...but not the hard, sideways rain.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tajnjet
They have spent alot of money building flood defenses since the floods of Jan 2005. This (see attached pic) should hopefully be a thing of the past. I wouldn't think twice about buying one of the houses that was flooded. In fact, thats one of the areas I'm looking at to live when I return in June.
That's good to know. I thought I saw reports that some houses werent habitable even reasonably recently. I know the Gloucester floods have had a similarly devastating impact with houses being out of commission for months and months. Mother nature sure knows how to slap us around.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

lived for years just up the road. Would highly reccomend libing in one of the villages just outside carlise. Ther are loads of beautiful places and all within a couple of miles of Carisle. Bonus ids the lakes are less than half an hour away and there are the borders/ hadrians wall etc etc etc all on your doorstep. You are also on the M6 and near A66 or A69 so can get to airports or just about anywhere really easily. Wouldn't reccomend living in Carlisle itself ( although there are some nice suburbs) it's just with traffisc it's as close to love in one of the nearby idylic villages and have the best of both worlds
Old Apr 4th 2008, 11:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olias
lived for years just up the road. Would highly reccomend libing in one of the villages just outside carlise. Ther are loads of beautiful places and all within a couple of miles of Carisle. Bonus ids the lakes are less than half an hour away and there are the borders/ hadrians wall etc etc etc all on your doorstep. You are also on the M6 and near A66 or A69 so can get to airports or just about anywhere really easily. Wouldn't reccomend living in Carlisle itself ( although there are some nice suburbs) it's just with traffisc it's as close to love in one of the nearby idylic villages and have the best of both worlds
Mmm, I always had a soft spot for Lanercost but it is probably a tad far out if you work in Carlisle.
Old Apr 4th 2008, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Miggins
Hello!

Some of you will know me from the Canada forum..... I am the shy, quiet one

Anway here's the score: going backs asap to get the kids (4 and 6) settled in to school and me in to Uni, think hub has an interview in Carlisle next week.....

Never been to Carlisle, know nothing about it other than basic googles.

Would like to know if you give me any advice or direction from your own experiences of moving back. Will only have been here for 10 mths, legally have to bring everything back and still have to put the house on the market too......And that's all really, so any info would be great.

I hope you are all well this spring evening
Mrs M xx
Hi
I remember you from the Canada thread "shy" uumm?

Anyway, a few thoughts I could share with you.

Schools, I had a big problem with, catchment areas and all the good schools being over subscribed - I was lucky enough to get a place formy 5 yr old at a good small village primary, my 3yr old back into his old pre-school, but only part-time. My 16 yr has had the biggest problems, school wouldnt take him back, saying he had missed too much - now waiting til Sept for the new college term.

Make sure that your laywer get all necesary forms signed before you leave or you could be taxed upto 25% form the sale of your property (fighting that one now!) :curse:
Plus, early redemption penalties on the mortgage! :curse:
Tax of sale of a used car!
Cost for documents being couriered to and from the UK relating to the house sale.
By the time our laywer has finished I dont know if we will have anything left!!!!!!!!!

We are currently living a very small 3bed semi (6 of us) which is expensive, electrics are failing and the landlord evasive!
On the upside, we both have jobs and the bank balance is nearly balanced.

Hopefully we will get enough back from the sale in Canada for a deposit on a house, so we are keenly watching the housing market, but what we now can afford is way smaller than we had before, even with us both working.

Hubby, is happy now we are back, if not a little guilty about our financial situation.

BUT, I really wish you good luck and hope you can all get settle fast.
Old Apr 5th 2008, 2:40 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point

So are you saying Mags had you have been there to get all the paperwork signed properly you wouldn't be worrying about the 25% tax?

My solicitor and accountant both said it's principal residence so we should be able to sell and keep any profit (bit worried now) what province were you in?

Decided if I can't get the right schools I will home school until I do, no point in mess them around any more poor little sods........

And the car taxed????? Bloody hell I didn't know that!

Anyway how long were you here and do you mind me asking why you have headed back?

Nice to hear from you though

Mrs Miggins xxx