Just over a year

Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:47 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Just over a year

Hi everyone and a Merry Christmas! It's been just over a year since my family and I left the beautiful Vancouver Island to the sunny (or quite often grey) area of Cheshire. It's been the fastest and craziest of years but packed with fun and laughter with old friends. I don't really know where to start but I'll try for those interested!

Home (or lack thereof)

Still homeless......still at my poor, suffering Mother's a year on! We are however in the process of buying a home so there is light at the end of her tunnel and she may get her home back one of these days.

We have found this part of the relocation process the most challenging by far but we are so lucky that we had my Mum's to live in so we could save a little more for a deposit. It has been stressful at times but having her support with the kids, being regularly fed delicious home cooked meals and no real financial worries has been incredible.

We are so looking forward to completing on our cottage in the New Year. We hoped to be in by Christmas but the torturous process of house buying in the UK is alive and well. We've bought an 1830 stone cottage that is very pretty and spacious. Our mortgage will be large but the house has an annexe and we'll rent that out for a few years so we can pay more off our mortgage earlier.

Jobs

This was surprisingly easy for me as a teacher. I lucked out when a job came up in a great school. It is a maternity post but the Head had a word in my ear on the last day to ask me to hold fire on job applications elsewhere as they will be making me permanent. I'm so excited and relieved. The school is fantastic, the kids are a delight to teach and I am SO enjoying teaching back in the UK. No one seemed to care what I did on the island. I now have a million reports, deadlines, shows to produce etc but I love it. On the island I could do what I wanted which left me bored and unsatisfied. It was like everything in Canada, once the novelty of no one overseeing what I was doing wore off I missed it! I feel like a professional again, very stressed at times but rising to a challenge.

My husband is in IT and stayed at home for the first 6 months. This was the best thing we did and totally by accident. He applied for system admin jobs but no luck so he jetted off on some IT courses in India and when he returned and started applying for development jobs the phone never stopped ringing (and recruitment agencies are still contacting him)! IT is thriving here so those with development skills need not worry! He loves his job and he too is feeling stimulated again and is finally working with like minded guys his own age at last. He leaves and returns from work much happier than I've ever seen him.

The kids - My little boy is SO, SO happy at school after a difficult start. He was way behind the others as he began reception having never done phonics and started int he Jan rather than the Feb. He struggled but now has the best of buddies and has a party or play date every week. Our little girl in 1 and she spends 3 days with Nana and 2 days in a nursery which she loves.

The dog - She has a dog walker/trainer who takes her out a couple of times a week and is happy. She's a little neurotic with other dogs but we're working on her. Apparently she has fear aggression! She is under going therapy and every time I pick up her poo I think about how much it cost to get her here!!! I'm so glad we did bring her really!!!!

So, life is very good. I miss the wildlife on the island and the stunning scenery but I am so happy to be back. I look forward to so many weekends of getting together with old friends and time making new chums. People are so, so friendly here. I laugh every day and love the Brits dearly.

Life is good!!!
Old Dec 18th 2011, 5:09 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just over a year

WOW has it been a year already!?
I remember your posts before leaving Vancouver. Time sure has flown by!

I'm glad you are (mostly) all settled. Your new home sounds amazing.

Does your husband travel to London for his work?

Hope to be following you in 18 months
Old Dec 18th 2011, 5:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

it's lovely to hear posts like this from returning expats. wish you all the best..
Old Dec 18th 2011, 5:39 pm
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Lorry1
WOW has it been a year already!?
I remember your posts before leaving Vancouver. Time sure has flown by!

I'm glad you are (mostly) all settled. Your new home sounds amazing.

Does your husband travel to London for his work?

Hope to be following you in 18 months
I know, it's just flown by. Bonkers! And hubby works in Wilmslow in Cheshire. I work in Manchester so we both have commutes of about 30mins on a good day. Work let him drop the kids off so he misses nightmare traffic. I however leave at 7am which can be a bit 'early Shirly' in the depths of winter but it means I'm not nudging my way inch by inch...I hate that. And the house is lovely but it's all a little scary! I've just learned that our dog walker will be moving into the annexe so I'm very, very happy about that!

Best wishes and a very Happy Christmas. How are you coping in your padded cell?
Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:50 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
I know, it's just flown by. Bonkers! And hubby works in Wilmslow in Cheshire. I work in Manchester so we both have commutes of about 30mins on a good day. Work let him drop the kids off so he misses nightmare traffic. I however leave at 7am which can be a bit 'early Shirly' in the depths of winter but it means I'm not nudging my way inch by inch...I hate that. And the house is lovely but it's all a little scary! I've just learned that our dog walker will be moving into the annexe so I'm very, very happy about that!

Best wishes and a very Happy Christmas. How are you coping in your padded cell?
It's a good job it's padded, that's all I'm saying!
I'm actually Halifax, NS so the total opposite side to where you were.

That's great about the dog walker, at least it's someone you know.

I hope the next 18 months passes by as quick as the last year did then because it really didn't seem that long ago you left!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 10:51 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

The house sounds gorgeous and thanks for the great update. It's nice to hear such positive news!
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:02 pm
Lost in Space

It's a good job it's padded, that's all I'm saying!
I'm actually Halifax, NS so the total opposite side to where you were.

That's great about the dog walker, at least it's someone you know.

I hope the next 18 months passes by as quick as the last year did then because it really didn't seem that long ago you left!
Halifax, Nova Scotia - beautiful autumns - lots of maple trees...that's all I know.....A tad dull is it? I liked some of the architecture I remember. My hubby's head office was in Halifax and there was some talk of moving out there but it didn't work out. I was terrified of moving to another part of Canada as I was told I was in the best place and I was SO miserable! It was IMP which apparently lots of Brits work for in Halifax.

So you leave in a year? I hope it flies for you. The last year flew for us. We did everything we could before leaving and traveled for a little while. Don't know. It's hard once you're in 'move mode' to enjoy anything.

I wish you all the very best and hang in there. It's really great over here! A tad grey at times but grey!!!! XXX
Old Dec 19th 2011, 8:04 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
The house sounds gorgeous and thanks for the great update. It's nice to hear such positive news!
It's been rough at times but everything seems good right now. Hubby struggles with the fast pace and weather some days but he's more social than I've ever known him so I think he's quietly happy. When we're in our home we'll be delirious!
Old Dec 20th 2011, 2:59 pm
The Brit is back

Halifax, Nova Scotia - beautiful autumns - lots of maple trees...that's all I know.....A tad dull is it? I liked some of the architecture I remember. My hubby's head office was in Halifax and there was some talk of moving out there but it didn't work out. I was terrified of moving to another part of Canada as I was told I was in the best place and I was SO miserable! It was IMP which apparently lots of Brits work for in Halifax.

So you leave in a year? I hope it flies for you. The last year flew for us. We did everything we could before leaving and traveled for a little while. Don't know. It's hard once you're in 'move mode' to enjoy anything.

I wish you all the very best and hang in there. It's really great over here! A tad grey at times but grey!!!! XXX

Yes it is a bit dull I find North America & Canada much of a muchness. Same big box stores and strip malls wherever you go. Whenever I see a new build I get excited wondering if it's going to be a decent clothes shop or something...but it's always just a Lawton, or Shoppers, or Sobeys.
I don't like the fact you have to drive from one store to the next and park each time in the big trading estates. I love walking along high streets or in shopping malls.

I just take each day at a time, but yes once your mind is made up you just kind of live in limbo. I'm here in body but not in mind.

I remember you travelling before returning home. We are hoping to return with the dog on the QM2 so the extent of our travelling will be down to New York
I must admit I would love to see more of Canada before we leave, Banff & Lake Louise in particular, but time & money restricts us. We'll have to come visit later in life

Grey, yes. That is a downside but I think I now prefer that to freezing cold and snow up to your knees
Old Dec 20th 2011, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Brigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud ofBrigette has much to be proud of

Your post is quite uplifting! Glad to hear things are working out. I'm very encouraged by your post. I can't wait to move. I took the first step this morning and sent my passport application to DC. So excited!
Old Dec 24th 2011, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone and a Merry Christmas! It's been just over a year since my family and I left the beautiful Vancouver Island to the sunny (or quite often grey) area of Cheshire. It's been the fastest and craziest of years but packed with fun and laughter with old friends. I don't really know where to start but I'll try for those interested!

Home (or lack thereof)

Still homeless......still at my poor, suffering Mother's a year on! We are however in the process of buying a home so there is light at the end of her tunnel and she may get her home back one of these days.

We have found this part of the relocation process the most challenging by far but we are so lucky that we had my Mum's to live in so we could save a little more for a deposit. It has been stressful at times but having her support with the kids, being regularly fed delicious home cooked meals and no real financial worries has been incredible.

We are so looking forward to completing on our cottage in the New Year. We hoped to be in by Christmas but the torturous process of house buying in the UK is alive and well. We've bought an 1830 stone cottage that is very pretty and spacious. Our mortgage will be large but the house has an annexe and we'll rent that out for a few years so we can pay more off our mortgage earlier.

Jobs

This was surprisingly easy for me as a teacher. I lucked out when a job came up in a great school. It is a maternity post but the Head had a word in my ear on the last day to ask me to hold fire on job applications elsewhere as they will be making me permanent. I'm so excited and relieved. The school is fantastic, the kids are a delight to teach and I am SO enjoying teaching back in the UK. No one seemed to care what I did on the island. I now have a million reports, deadlines, shows to produce etc but I love it. On the island I could do what I wanted which left me bored and unsatisfied. It was like everything in Canada, once the novelty of no one overseeing what I was doing wore off I missed it! I feel like a professional again, very stressed at times but rising to a challenge.

My husband is in IT and stayed at home for the first 6 months. This was the best thing we did and totally by accident. He applied for system admin jobs but no luck so he jetted off on some IT courses in India and when he returned and started applying for development jobs the phone never stopped ringing (and recruitment agencies are still contacting him)! IT is thriving here so those with development skills need not worry! He loves his job and he too is feeling stimulated again and is finally working with like minded guys his own age at last. He leaves and returns from work much happier than I've ever seen him.

The kids - My little boy is SO, SO happy at school after a difficult start. He was way behind the others as he began reception having never done phonics and started int he Jan rather than the Feb. He struggled but now has the best of buddies and has a party or play date every week. Our little girl in 1 and she spends 3 days with Nana and 2 days in a nursery which she loves.

The dog - She has a dog walker/trainer who takes her out a couple of times a week and is happy. She's a little neurotic with other dogs but we're working on her. Apparently she has fear aggression! She is under going therapy and every time I pick up her poo I think about how much it cost to get her here!!! I'm so glad we did bring her really!!!!

So, life is very good. I miss the wildlife on the island and the stunning scenery but I am so happy to be back. I look forward to so many weekends of getting together with old friends and time making new chums. People are so, so friendly here. I laugh every day and love the Brits dearly.

Life is good!!!
I was wondering how you guys were getting on so thanks very much for the update. Glad to hear you are settling in and I'm sure it will be even better once you have your house.

My husband and I are still thinking about coming over to the UK for a year or two but the kids don't won't too (well my 11 year old especially). They have a great life and they both love playing hockey too much! You're were lucky you left before the kids become too intrenched into Canadian life. Although I'm not giving up (yet).
Old Dec 26th 2011, 9:32 pm
Lost in Space

Yes it is a bit dull I find North America & Canada much of a muchness. Same big box stores and strip malls wherever you go. Whenever I see a new build I get excited wondering if it's going to be a decent clothes shop or something...but it's always just a Lawton, or Shoppers, or Sobeys.
I don't like the fact you have to drive from one store to the next and park each time in the big trading estates. I love walking along high streets or in shopping malls.

I just take each day at a time, but yes once your mind is made up you just kind of live in limbo. I'm here in body but not in mind.

I remember you travelling before returning home. We are hoping to return with the dog on the QM2 so the extent of our travelling will be down to New York
I must admit I would love to see more of Canada before we leave, Banff & Lake Louise in particular, but time & money restricts us. We'll have to come visit later in life

Grey, yes. That is a downside but I think I now prefer that to freezing cold and snow up to your knees
We looked into the QM2 with the dog too. That would be amazing. Quite the way to return! I highly recommend a little traveling but it was SUCH a hassle getting things organised at each end of the trip. Selling our vehicles was crazy and stressful. I wouldn't do it again even though the trip was great fun. There's always another time as you said. I hope to repeat our trip when we're old and sans kids!!!!!

Hope you've had a wonderful xmas. Best wishes.
Old Dec 26th 2011, 9:35 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by Sazzer
I was wondering how you guys were getting on so thanks very much for the update. Glad to hear you are settling in and I'm sure it will be even better once you have your house.

My husband and I are still thinking about coming over to the UK for a year or two but the kids don't won't too (well my 11 year old especially). They have a great life and they both love playing hockey too much! You're were lucky you left before the kids become too intrenched into Canadian life. Although I'm not giving up (yet).
I was so concerned about leaving it but we just did what we needed to do. It was now or never I guess. I still feel the kids have lost out as I loved watching my little boy play on the beach, hike in the mountains and swim in the oceans and lakes. Can't really do that in the same way here. The air was so clean there too and the wildlife....no traffic...oh goodness....I'll stop before I get depressed!!!!
Old Dec 27th 2011, 12:09 pm
The Brit is back

I was so concerned about leaving it but we just did what we needed to do. It was now or never I guess. I still feel the kids have lost out as I loved watching my little boy play on the beach, hike in the mountains and swim in the oceans and lakes. Can't really do that in the same way here. The air was so clean there too and the wildlife....no traffic...oh goodness....I'll stop before I get depressed!!!!
Are you starting to have regrets about leaving Canada?
Old Dec 29th 2011, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud ofpinkkristen has much to be proud of

Home (or lack thereof)

Jobs

Life is good!!!
I have also wondered how life was treating you in the uk.
I am so pleased that you are settling into life and enjoying it
We are still living in limbo land and like lorry 1 said, living here in body, not in mind!
This is the first year we didn't get back for Xmas and whilst we made the most of Xmas day with the kids, the following few days have been really hard!
We are trying to find a sensible way back, though like others, I feel pressure to get a plan together sooner, as my eldest is turning 10 soon.

All the best for your future and keep us posted on your new house.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.