Just got back!

Old Feb 11th 2019, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just got back!

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I would try a different Barclays branch. There are times when the services on offer can be affected by the people working at that branch. Sometimes a branch employee will tell you a service can't be offered for xyz reason, then you go to a different branch and suddenly it's not an issue. There are a few UK banks in the states and the possibility for you to join one of them online in the states could be an option for you. Maybe that way you could get the account in the States and you then will have an established history with that lending institution.
Also have you thought about adding your name to a utility bill account of your partner's or another family member if that person has one? If that is legal that could be a remedy. People do it all the time in the States.
Agreed - this is my rule of 3. Whenever I am denied anything by private, govt institutions e.g., banks, call centres I always call twice more. Invariably you get the right answer or confirmation via 2 out of 3.
Old Feb 11th 2019, 7:36 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
….. There are a few UK banks in the states and the possibility for you to join one of them online …..
Very few indeed, and in fact I can only think of three - HSBC, Citizens (which I think is still under ownership of RBS), and Santander which is Spanish, but also has branches in the UK). The problem with your theory is that all three of those are actually US banks formed under US law (all operate in the US as "… NA" (National Association) banks, and have nothing much to do with branches with similar names in other countries other than that they are under common ownership. The best HSBC in the US can do is to open an account in the UK (or other country) for you, but HSBC seems to be geared increasingly to the wealthy or very wealthy and charge fees accordingly).

The idea that you could walk into a Citizens Bank branch and ask them to open an account with RBS in the UK is simply not going to work, and I suspect that many of the branch staff at Citizens aren't even aware that their majority shareholder is RBS.
Old Feb 12th 2019, 10:19 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you have previously been a customer of a UK bank then it’s worth approaching them as you are usually on their system still even with a closed account and they can reactivate your account and just update your address.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 5:55 am
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all so much for your replies. My partner called the council and we are going for a meeting so that I can go the council tax route. Also on the utility part of it for heating he uses oil so if he added me to his oil account would that count as a utility bill? I will see if there is a Lloyd’s bank in Yorkshire and see what they have to offer. So thank you so much for all your help and I will let you know my progress on the Bank status.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:02 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fstanfield
.... Also on the utility part of it for heating he uses oil so if he added me to his oil account would that count as a utility bill? …
Maybe, maybe not, but I lean towards "not".

A "utility bill" would usually mean water, electricity, or gas, or probably phone (land line). I am sceptical that internet/ cable phone would count.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 3:42 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Maybe, maybe not, but I lean towards "not".

A "utility bill" would usually mean water, electricity, or gas, or probably phone (land line). I am sceptical that internet/ cable phone would count.
It usually doesn’t.
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 6:39 pm
fstanfield

fiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond reputefiona stanfield has a reputation beyond repute

I am a dual citizen UK/ USA. I moved back to the UK in December 2018 but I am going to the USA for 3 weeks in May. My question is when I am booking my flight to the US which passport number do I use? Also when I get to the airport which passport do I use when I leave the UK? Also on the way back which passport do I use to check in at the US airport? I know that once I get to the UK I go through immigration with my British passport.
Thank You!
Old Apr 22nd 2019, 6:56 pm

Originally Posted by fstanfield
I am a dual citizen UK/ USA. I moved back to the UK in December 2018 but I am going to the USA for 3 weeks in May. My question is when I am booking my flight to the US which passport number do I use? Also when I get to the airport which passport do I use when I leave the UK? ….

Under US law you are required to enter the US using your US passport, and if you try to depart the UK using your UK passport the airline will require you to have an ESTA (otherwise they won't let you board the aircraft) which you aren't eligible for if you have a US passport, so you pretty much have to use your US passport for the flight if you are a dual US/UK citizen.
….. Also on the way back which passport do I use to check in at the US airport? I know that once I get to the UK I go through immigration with my British passport....
You can use either of your passports when entering the UK, though it might lead to an odd record in the UK passport system if you are a British citizen living in the UK and enter on your US passport, because it would show you as an overstay after six months.

Last edited by Pulaski; Apr 22nd 2019 at 6:59 pm.