Just found this...

Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:03 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just found this...

I just discovered the home page on this web site. Never venture into that bit!

Have a look at this peeps. This person is obviously an intelligent, articulate person who has a vast knowledge of life in Oz. She sums my feeling up beautifully!

So Glad To Be Home
Written by Joanna Chumas
Monday, 08 January 2007
I have just returned from a two-year stint in the Middle East, in Dubai, to be more specific. Before that I lived in Australia for 17 years. I would like to share with you my experiences.

On Australia…
Australia is a strange place. I lived in Melbourne. I know every nook and cranny, every method and manner of doing business, every intricacy, the cultural norms, the dinner party conversations, the history of it all. I lived it, tasted it, listened to it, experienced it. If anyone ever asks whether I liked it there, I say it was okay, it was an experience, but I never once felt like I belonged there. Belonging comes from within, it also comes from your roots, your childhood experiences, from knowing that you have a place in the world, a synergy that flows through you. I never felt that in Melbourne. I felt like the proverbial fish out of water. I am not into sports, I am not into lying on the beach, I am not into nightclubs. In that sense, I could never have fitted in, and I didn’t.

The geography and the isolation of the place from the rest of the world were too much for me. Australia consists of basically two cities, Melbourne and Sydney. The other cities, Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra and Perth are second rate metropolises, and are viewed as such. There is NOTHING in between, except vast suburbs and rural communities, which inspire fear and loathing in anyone who has been bought up being able to travel easily and often through the cities of Europe and the UK.

I lived with this feeling of displacement itching under my skin, like a permanent infection. I was “stuck” because of family ties, unable to leave, but I was aching to leave, because of the lack of culture, the superficiality of the people, the copycat Europe mentality, in that anything imported from Europe, immediately got an over-inflated kudos. Anything “new”, or “old or “happening” or embarrassingly different was hailed as a testimony to Australia’s premier spot of the global stage.

I’m a Euro-Brit, at heart. I love the UK, and I love Europe. It is in my blood. Australia never sat well with me, because it has to justify its existence with every move it makes. There is no inner crisis to spur on political demonstrations or teenage angst to fire up creativity. People are sold the “lifestyle”, as though sun, sea, a café, the Sunday newspapers, and a little shopping are enough to keep people in line.

There is no fire in the belly of Australia. A friend of mine – a Brit who is living in Melbourne summed up Australia perfectly (for me) recently in an email when he said, “Australia is essentially a suburb, full of suburban people, with suburban mentalities.” I couldn’t have put it better myself.

http://britishexpats.com/articles/mo...ad-to-be-home/

Last edited by Sue; Feb 14th 2007 at 1:03 pm. Reason: URL to article added
Old Feb 14th 2007, 5:24 am
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Just found this...

Originally Posted by TraceyW

Have a look at this peeps. This person is obviously an intelligent, articulate person who has a vast knowledge of life in Oz. She sums my feeling up beautifully!

So Glad To Be Home
Written by Joanna Chumas
Monday, 08 January 2007
I have just returned from a two-year stint in the Middle East, in Dubai, to be more specific. Before that I lived in Australia for 17 years. I would like to share with you my experiences.

On Australia…
Australia is a strange place. I lived in Melbourne. I know every nook and cranny, every method and manner of doing business, every intricacy, the cultural norms, the dinner party conversations, the history of it all. I lived it, tasted it, listened to it, experienced it. If anyone ever asks whether I liked it there, I say it was okay, it was an experience, but I never once felt like I belonged there. Belonging comes from within, it also comes from your roots, your childhood experiences, from knowing that you have a place in the world, a synergy that flows through you. I never felt that in Melbourne. I felt like the proverbial fish out of water. I am not into sports, I am not into lying on the beach, I am not into nightclubs. In that sense, I could never have fitted in, and I didn’t.

The geography and the isolation of the place from the rest of the world were too much for me. Australia consists of basically two cities, Melbourne and Sydney. The other cities, Adelaide, Brisbane, Canberra and Perth are second rate metropolises, and are viewed as such. There is NOTHING in between, except vast suburbs and rural communities, which inspire fear and loathing in anyone who has been bought up being able to travel easily and often through the cities of Europe and the UK.

I lived with this feeling of displacement itching under my skin, like a permanent infection. I was “stuck” because of family ties, unable to leave, but I was aching to leave, because of the lack of culture, the superficiality of the people, the copycat Europe mentality, in that anything imported from Europe, immediately got an over-inflated kudos. Anything “new”, or “old or “happening” or embarrassingly different was hailed as a testimony to Australia’s premier spot of the global stage.

I’m a Euro-Brit, at heart. I love the UK, and I love Europe. It is in my blood. Australia never sat well with me, because it has to justify its existence with every move it makes. There is no inner crisis to spur on political demonstrations or teenage angst to fire up creativity. People are sold the “lifestyle”, as though sun, sea, a café, the Sunday newspapers, and a little shopping are enough to keep people in line.

There is no fire in the belly of Australia. A friend of mine – a Brit who is living in Melbourne summed up Australia perfectly (for me) recently in an email when he said, “Australia is essentially a suburb, full of suburban people, with suburban mentalities.” I couldn’t have put it better myself.

here here, couldnt have put it better myself. It doesnt matter how much you fight it, if you dont fit in, its a complete waste of time. Im optimistic bout going back to england today lol, different heads every day
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:00 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

So Glad To Be Home
Written by Joanna Chumas
Monday, 08 January 2007

On Australia…

If she loves Britain and Europe so much why did she move to OZ in the first place, forced transportation ended 150 years ago.
"Australia is essentially a suburb, full of suburban people, with suburban mentalities" maybe so but aren't the majority of Brits also, don't most of them live in suburbs , or does she think its like Heartbeat everyone lives in cottages in villages in the beautiful countryside, theres no crime everyones friendly and knows one another etc.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 14th 2007 at 6:05 am.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:11 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
If she loves Britain and Europe so much why did she move to OZ in the first place, forced transportation ended 150 years ago.
"Australia is essentially a suburb, full of suburban people, with suburban mentalities" maybe so but aren't the majority of Brits also, don't most of them live in suburbs , or does she think its like Heartbeat everyone lives in cottages in villages in the beautiful countryside, theres no crime everyones friendly and knows one another etc.
Time and time again you prove your ignorance truly knows no bounds. Perhaps she should have tried Adelaide where she could have been killed and stuffed into a barrel?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:16 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FPM
Time and time again you prove your ignorance truly knows no bounds. Perhaps she should have tried Adelaide where she could have been killed and stuffed into a barrel?
's no town like snowtown.....
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:21 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FPM
Yes well they are a bit wierd in Adelaide , Adelaide people seem to have a bit of a habit of going around chopping people up, eating them and stuffing the remains in barrels of acid. Maybe the fall out from the British nuclear tests in the 50's turned them into insane mutant zombies.

Last edited by Lord Pom Percy; Feb 14th 2007 at 6:30 am.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:11 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandtooz
here here, couldnt have put it better myself. It doesnt matter how much you fight it, if you dont fit in, its a complete waste of time. Im optimistic bout going back to england today lol, different heads every day
I can relate well with what she said but I do feel that if you don't want the suburban life you can avoid it. I lived within an hour of the Melbourne CBD in a beautiful rural village. It is there, you just need to be adventurous. As for area's of nothing I have to disagree. After spending 4 weeks back packing we found a country that offers such a vast contrast of scenery. After 4 weeks we still had many area's left unexplored.
I sometimes think that some people become so depressed that they stop looking at a country with it's beauty and start seeing only the burbs. I know that many do that in the UK and it is only when you have removed yourself that you can see the positives that it has to offer!
I found that I was nearly in tears at the airport in Sydney and really questioning my move back. It wasn't until we were flying over Paris that the excitement hit. Ohh and seeing my family at the gate had me blubbering like a looney. I felt like I had just been released from prison (not that I have ever been)
Old Feb 14th 2007, 9:42 am
FPM
Banned

FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy

Maybe the fall out from the British nuclear tests in the 50's turned them into insane mutant zombies.
Must've been bloody windy that day to cover all of Oz!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:53 am
Banned

denver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to beholddenver is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by FPM
Your insults know no bounds do they?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 11:56 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FPM

Cruel....but funny!
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

jood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant futurejood has a brilliant future

So Glad To Be Home
Written by Joanna Chumas
Monday, 08 January 2007

On Australia…

So much of this could also apply to Canada and how I feel about it.......
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:17 pm
FPM
Banned

Originally Posted by denver
Your insults know no bounds do they?
Normally I don't respond to dingos if I can help it, but yourself and LPP make it so easy. It's like taking a Cherry Ripe from a puppy. Still taking money for teaching our children the benefit of your atrocious grammar and composition?
Old Feb 18th 2007, 12:35 am
Banned

Southerncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to allSoutherncross is a name known to all

Originally Posted by FPM
What a convenient memory you have. You have obviously forgotten about some of your delightful citizens, like the Wests and the Moors Murderers to name just a couple. The more I read the insults on this page about Australia the more I realise why none of you feel at home here. If you display even a fraction of this negativity towards the people you meet in Australia that you display on this site, no wonder you can't make friends. I am finding it very hard to not sink down to your level and fire off some salvos about some of the problems in your home country. However, we all know that it would get me absolutely nowhere because you are all so darn comfortable in your pity pit and it only just fires you all up to send off another round of insults. I am sure we can all agree that you are entitled to not like living in Australia, I would not want to live anywhere else so I understand that. But what confounds me is that because you miss your family and friends and the familiarity of being in your home country, and being close to Europe, and the familiar shops etc, why can't you just recognise that for what it is and stop the continual criticism of Australia. We don't expect everyone to love it here, there is no place in the world that suits everyone. Surely you can all support each other without resorting to such negativity? For example, the comment about Australia being one big suburb. For goodness sake, people have to live somewhere; the only alternatives to living in a suburb is living in the country or in a city. Unless I have missed something and the UK has found a solution that I am unaware of? I suppose living in a shoe box in London or New York is some people's idea of fun, but for me, I like a bit of land with a garden and birds and butterflies. And I like having shops down the road, and a school nearby for my children and neighbours to have a chat to. And yes, I guess this is a suburb.....Bad, bad Australia!

As for the comment to Denver about her taking money to teach the UK children her atrocious grammar etc. I agree with her; your insults most definitely have no bounds. Don't worry about her trying to teach the UK kids grammar, judging from what I read on this site, she is probably flat out trying to teach them Manners 101.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:12 am
FPM
Banned

Originally Posted by Southerncross
What a convenient memory you have. You have obviously forgotten about some of your delightful citizens, like the Wests and the Moors Murderers to name just a couple. The more I read the insults on this page about Australia the more I realise why none of you feel at home here. If you display even a fraction of this negativity towards the people you meet in Australia that you display on this site, no wonder you can't make friends. I am finding it very hard to not sink down to your level and fire off some salvos about some of the problems in your home country. However, we all know that it would get me absolutely nowhere because you are all so darn comfortable in your pity pit and it only just fires you all up to send off another round of insults. I am sure we can all agree that you are entitled to not like living in Australia, I would not want to live anywhere else so I understand that. But what confounds me is that because you miss your family and friends and the familiarity of being in your home country, and being close to Europe, and the familiar shops etc, why can't you just recognise that for what it is and stop the continual criticism of Australia. We don't expect everyone to love it here, there is no place in the world that suits everyone. Surely you can all support each other without resorting to such negativity? For example, the comment about Australia being one big suburb. For goodness sake, people have to live somewhere; the only alternatives to living in a suburb is living in the country or in a city. Unless I have missed something and the UK has found a solution that I am unaware of? I suppose living in a shoe box in London or New York is some people's idea of fun, but for me, I like a bit of land with a garden and birds and butterflies. And I like having shops down the road, and a school nearby for my children and neighbours to have a chat to. And yes, I guess this is a suburb.....Bad, bad Australia!

As for the comment to Denver about her taking money to teach the UK children her atrocious grammar etc. I agree with her; your insults most definitely have no bounds. Don't worry about her trying to teach the UK kids grammar, judging from what I read on this site, she is probably flat out trying to teach them Manners 101.
Ah another dingo that equates London with the rest of Britain. Congrats, you've passed the too stupid to bark test. Now delightful citizens, hmm remind me again, lets see, you've the Wanda Beach deaths, some bodies stuffed in a barrel, the highest body count in any mass murder in the world, and who could forget Mr Bubbles day care centre, shall I go on?

When you stop sending the cavalry down here with attempts to blindly counter any negative post about Oz (this is the MOVING BACK forum, or are your reading skills as bad as Denver's spelling?) we'll probably stop replying to them.

As for rude, what can I say, been here 18yrs, I'm obviously assimilating jolly well and have become a product of my immediate environment.

As for insults, well we just watch the news and read the press and that seems to complete our erudition in how to be racist.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Paul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond reputePaul has a reputation beyond repute

If you can't conduct a civil discussion then don't bother posting. If you want to bicker like children, then do so privately.

It has been emphasized many times that this forum is for topics directly related to moving back to the UK. If you want to talk about life in Australia whether it be good or bad, then the correct forum is the Australia forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.