Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Just as cheap for us to live in UK

Just as cheap for us to live in UK

Old May 17th 2008, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice
Default Re: Just as cheap for us to live in UK

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Hmm just been doing some sums to convince myself we are better off here but... here are the results.

Scenario 1: Stay in Aus and move to house in more urban area-not a posh or pretty area, quite grungy/ethnic actually and buy a small 2 bed house-again nothing posh just a grotty doer upper 'shack'. After all costs & without doing any works on the house our mortgage per month would be approx $1500.

Scenario 2: Back to UK and move to a 2 bed garden flat in Twickenham (where we came from) or Brighton (which we love). After all moving back & other costs our mortgage per month would be approx 700GBP.

This is of course based on current exchange & interest rates i.e. if we went back now.

It really does bug me that we are no better off here!! If we were at least I would feel more able to accept and work thru the homesickness.

ps as regards other costs I have found some things are cheaper here and others in UK so all swings & roundabouts there

Oh, and we earned twice as much in UK too.

So in fact better in UK
Has it ever occured to you that there is more to life than trying to climb, comparing where you can appear to be more prosperous, where you buck travels further-which country offers you a better standard of living-where you can buy a better house?
You claim to be cultured, but the truth is you lack overall historical perspective-you are right, you just so happened to arrive in Australia at a brief juncture in time when the two countries might have a more or less parity in terms of living standards-but for the overwhelming majority of Australia's history-Australia was a way, way better better bet-and a ticket to a good life-remember one hundred years ago Australia had a life-expectancy of modern proportions-about the only place that did.
Illiterate Migrants that came here in the 50's are property milionares today etc.
Do you expect Australians to start deserting the place because today you can get the same life in the UK?
Also you probably are starting to get rose-tinted glasses re the UK-it aint all that cultured-and Melbourne in my view (and i'm from London) creams any UK city.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:34 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hippyboy1
Melbourne in my view (and i'm from London) creams any UK city.

Please tell me your not serious.
Old May 17th 2008, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Also you probably are starting to get rose-tinted glasses re the UK-it aint all that cultured-and Melbourne in my view (and i'm from London) creams any UK city.
That's got to be a joke, right?!
Old May 17th 2008, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JoolsB;6360546] Would swap my 3 bed house here for my old 1 bed London flat in a jiffy!

I know where your coming from. We wont be better off, we will have a smaller house and car but it's where we want to be. Simple as.
Old May 17th 2008, 2:05 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Has it ever occured to you that there is more to life than trying to climb, comparing where you can appear to be more prosperous, where you buck travels further-which country offers you a better standard of living-where you can buy a better house?
You claim to be cultured, but the truth is you lack overall historical perspective-you are right, you just so happened to arrive in Australia at a brief juncture in time when the two countries might have a more or less parity in terms of living standards-but for the overwhelming majority of Australia's history-Australia was a way, way better better bet-and a ticket to a good life-remember one hundred years ago Australia had a life-expectancy of modern proportions-about the only place that did.
Illiterate Migrants that came here in the 50's are property milionares today etc.
Do you expect Australians to start deserting the place because today you can get the same life in the UK?
I wasn't trying to climb by coming back to Aus-just have a little more space so visitors didn't have to sleep in the sitting room & relax a bit more. My point is I have more space but to get it I had to move miles out so OH is now an hour & a half drive from work (10 mins in UK) so working day is longer & we are still stressing about money as no better off. So if the only things we wanted to improve are no better then why not be stressed in a country where we have family, friends and feel more at home in every way?
Makes sense to me Nothing personal against Melbourne-I just happen to prefer London as is vice versa for you! I dont want a better house-I want a worse house!
Old May 17th 2008, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Do you think that most people base their decisions to emigrate on materialistic things, like better house, more disposable income etc?
But once you get there, those soon become the norm and then it is other factors like culture, and people that contribute to how much you enjoy living there.
Old May 17th 2008, 11:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Hey Kath(shitty bum)

How was the hol? Bring back memories of Perth...or was it good!
It was a great holiday ta, much more exciting than Perth, but must say it cost us a fortune for one week!!! once out there the euro is sky high and everyone we talked to agreed, no cheapie drinks or meals out, cost us about 60 euros for 4 with just one drink each. Beautiful place tho, would consider moving there if we had the money and where millionaires to buy summin, typical place was about 700,000 euros!!!

Hows your lot?, keepin missing you on line!!!

Kath
Old May 17th 2008, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Back in Scotland after two dreadful years in Brisbane.
maka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of lightmaka paka is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by achanginglife
Do you think that most people base their decisions to emigrate on materialistic things, like better house, more disposable income etc?
But once you get there, those soon become the norm and then it is other factors like culture, and people that contribute to how much you enjoy living there.
So true.

When people say "your mad to leave because the standard of living is better here" they mean material things.For us money is secondary to happiness.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:21 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
It has to be. Surely

I guess it just proves that we are all different and love different things hey?
Old May 17th 2008, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

hippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nicehippyboy1 is just really nice

Come on, like you never met anyone that doesnt like London-a grimey, sooty, crowded mega-city.
Melbourne is gorgeous, pleasant, vibrant and surrounded by awesome natural areas.
However I totally realise and respect the fact that you don't see things as I do-we all have different tastes.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Come on, like you never met anyone that doesnt like London-a grimey, sooty, crowded mega-city.
Melbourne is gorgeous, pleasant, vibrant and surrounded by awesome natural areas.
However I totally realise and respect the fact that you don't see things as I do-we all have different tastes.
"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

Just as well we all like different things, I agree. I am even one of the few who would take Canberra over Melbourne any day of the week! But neither (nor Sydney) even come close to London for me.
Old May 18th 2008, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

"Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

Just as well we all like different things, I agree. I am even one of the few who would take Canberra over Melbourne any day of the week! But neither (nor Sydney) even come close to London for me.
Londoners bandy that quote around like it was spoken by God himself-I would never suggest London is boring-but people have been leaving London by their free will for centuries-obviously some would rather be elsewhere.
Old May 18th 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

milly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to allmilly123 is a name known to all

You can take your tint,s of now ,
Old May 20th 2008, 3:00 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Hmm just been doing some sums to convince myself we are better off here but... here are the results.

Scenario 1: Stay in Aus and move to house in more urban area-not a posh or pretty area, quite grungy/ethnic actually and buy a small 2 bed house-again nothing posh just a grotty doer upper 'shack'. After all costs & without doing any works on the house our mortgage per month would be approx $1500.

Scenario 2: Back to UK and move to a 2 bed garden flat in Twickenham (where we came from) or Brighton (which we love). After all moving back & other costs our mortgage per month would be approx 700GBP.

This is of course based on current exchange & interest rates i.e. if we went back now.

It really does bug me that we are no better off here!! If we were at least I would feel more able to accept and work thru the homesickness.

ps as regards other costs I have found some things are cheaper here and others in UK so all swings & roundabouts there

Oh, and we earned twice as much in UK too.

So in fact better in UK
Lifes not just about money. Shame the weather in the UK is cold and damp whereas in Australia its beatiful and warm. Also Australia has fantastic beaches.
Old May 20th 2008, 3:17 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BAY
Lifes not just about money. Shame the weather in the UK is cold and damp whereas in Australia its beatiful and warm. Also Australia has fantastic beaches.
Agreed-but I'm still less happy here than I was in UK despite the weather and beach 5 mins down road.

I don't mind UK weather-I came back here (I am Australian by the way) for the perceived more relaxed lifestyle not the weather and I am not getting that.

BTW I notice you are in UK-did you go back and are now wishing you hadn't?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.