Reload this Page >

Just as cheap for us to live in UK

Just as cheap for us to live in UK

Old May 15th 2008, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Just as cheap for us to live in UK

Originally Posted by quoll
Must be something in the air Margaret - it's bad for me at the moment too - the upside is that I have lost weight and can fit my wedding ring on. Dunno what it is, just that feeling of not belonging.

Your right there is something in the air, my ever, upbeat teen, has been crying tonight coz she's homesick, not like her at all, think she might be picking up on my mood
Old May 15th 2008, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

The more and more I look at this and consider the situation I see that my wife and I won't be better off in the UK.

However, what's stopping me going back is whenever there is a recession the field I work in get's hit hard and as the industry is small in the UK there aren't that many different companies to try. Whereas here in the US there are companies all over.

When the market starts an upswing, my wife and I will have a good sit down and ask if that's the time for us to move. We will be back in the UK, it's just a question of when.

It's never an easy decision and most likely for a lot of people there are a lot of reasons to go back or stay where you are. You really have to do it with your eyes open, as it's a difficult decision to live with no matter what you decide.

All the best,
Old May 16th 2008, 5:01 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
Your right there is something in the air, my ever, upbeat teen, has been crying tonight coz she's homesick, not like her at all, think she might be picking up on my mood
Maybe it's because it's UK springtime and we are heading into winter? The inbuilt "season radar" is working overtime.

Have already decided not to bother much with xmas this year-40 degrees, no M&S & god-children 12,000 miles away-whats the point!?

Sorry that's really negative
Old May 16th 2008, 5:06 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JoolsB
Maybe it's because it's UK springtime and we are heading into winter? The inbuilt "season radar" is working overtime.

Have already decided not to bother much with xmas this year-40 degrees, no M&S & god-children 12,000 miles away-whats the point!?

Sorry that's really negative

Can't STAND Xmas in Oz - not even festive, you can't even take the kids out to see the Xmas lights - what ones you can find!!!
Old May 16th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Best
Can't STAND Xmas in Oz - not even festive, you can't even take the kids out to see the Xmas lights - what ones you can find!!!
I agree, I find it a total non-event. Doesn't seem like christmas at all and it's not the same without all the family. However, there are quite a few houses around here that go to town with the lights so the kids do get to enjoy that.
Old May 16th 2008, 5:11 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I figured

So remind me again why we are all here?
Old May 16th 2008, 5:13 am

MrsB is an unknown quantity at this point

That's what I figured

So remind me again why we are all here?
Well..........I for one am quite happy to stick my hand up and say I thought the grass was greener!!!! You have to try it, it's all a life experience isn't it just?
Old May 16th 2008, 7:13 am
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm just been doing some sums to convince myself we are better off here but... here are the results.

Scenario 1: Stay in Aus and move to house in more urban area-not a posh or pretty area, quite grungy/ethnic actually and buy a small 2 bed house-again nothing posh just a grotty doer upper 'shack'. After all costs & without doing any works on the house our mortgage per month would be approx $1500.

Scenario 2: Back to UK and move to a 2 bed garden flat in Twickenham (where we came from) or Brighton (which we love). After all moving back & other costs our mortgage per month would be approx 700GBP.

This is of course based on current exchange & interest rates i.e. if we went back now.

It really does bug me that we are no better off here!! If we were at least I would feel more able to accept and work thru the homesickness.

ps as regards other costs I have found some things are cheaper here and others in UK so all swings & roundabouts there

Oh, and we earned twice as much in UK too.

So in fact better in UK
We too found that we were far better off financially in the UK. I was furious a couple of weeks ago when GMTV were again showing their regular "Its better in Oz" feature. They featured a midwife who had moved there just 3 months ago and the presenter actually quoted that the cost of living in Melbourne is 40% cheaper than London :curse: I was that livid that I wrote to the the producer. I did get a nice reply saying that they were going to consider doing a feature along the lines of "the grass isn't always greener".

It really infuriates me that shows like this can influence people's decisions to emigrate.
Old May 16th 2008, 7:27 am
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by LouiseD
We too found that we were far better off financially in the UK. I was furious a couple of weeks ago when GMTV were again showing their regular "Its better in Oz" feature. They featured a midwife who had moved there just 3 months ago and the presenter actually quoted that the cost of living in Melbourne is 40% cheaper than London :curse: I was that livid that I wrote to the the producer. I did get a nice reply saying that they were going to consider doing a feature along the lines of "the grass isn't always greener".

It really infuriates me that shows like this can influence people's decisions to emigrate.
40%!- based on stats from 1998 rather than 2008 no doubt

The only things we find cheaper here are our weekly groceries (but only cos there's not much in the supermarkets I want to buy) & the petrol.

Clothes more expensive-no Primark or TK Maxx for bargains. Wine just as expensive (unless you like drinking wee) in both pubs & shops. Books more expensive, magazines the same.

If its so much better in Oz why doesn't Fiona Phillips move out here!
Old May 16th 2008, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

tillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to beholdtillysmum is a splendid one to behold

LouiseD have you notice GMTV are running and 'advert' on front page of BE requesting people in Melbourne to contact them if they are thinking of going back to UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 16th 2008, 7:37 am
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by tillysmum
LouiseD have you notice GMTV are running and 'advert' on front page of BE requesting people in Melbourne to contact them if they are thinking of going back to UK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I cant really contact them as OH isn't thinking of going back-it's just me! Also a bit humiliating-it's bad enough people you know hearing you weep & moan without half the UK being in on it to. Tho I would like to give wannabe migrants some home truths

(sorry i know this was to louised but thought id put mine in!)
Old May 16th 2008, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Jandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really niceJandysi is just really nice

Hey there everyone!

I agree........with nearly eveything ( cos I have started this post and realised how tired I am!!! cos it's Perth and nearly 9pm an its the done thing to just go to bed.......) aaaaannyway, I have been reading the posts about wanting to just begger off back to England and how its as cheap over there.

Well, it's not as cheap house size for house size where we are from, but in terms of being happy in the house we could get.......I think i could manage that and swap all this heartache and general feeling of day to day loneliness and lostness. I did believe that maybe being a stay at home Mum in a bigger house here in oz might be ok. That maybe i needed a life change. But i was very very wrong.

Our rent is high, our mortgage when house built will be higher than we've ever paid in out lives and our income is about half that it used to be. so joy of joy, i am here with not a spare cent to spend on enjoyment. I realise how fortunate we were.

except for paying for parking at the beach - we had all the same benefits where we were, plus more spare money. bummer. now i can't go back to my old job, as it's a bit of an obscure one and they're cutting back and hubby is in financial services (that might be tricky at these times............) it seems staying might be best for a bit. Oh dear god - i dont know how to get through the next year or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wanna go home.

Janine
Old May 16th 2008, 9:36 pm
South Yarra Sheila

Originally Posted by Jandysi
Hey there everyone!

I agree........with nearly eveything ( cos I have started this post and realised how tired I am!!! cos it's Perth and nearly 9pm an its the done thing to just go to bed.......) aaaaannyway, I have been reading the posts about wanting to just begger off back to England and how its as cheap over there.

Well, it's not as cheap house size for house size where we are from, but in terms of being happy in the house we could get.......I think i could manage that and swap all this heartache and general feeling of day to day loneliness and lostness. I did believe that maybe being a stay at home Mum in a bigger house here in oz might be ok. That maybe i needed a life change. But i was very very wrong.

Our rent is high, our mortgage when house built will be higher than we've ever paid in out lives and our income is about half that it used to be. so joy of joy, i am here with not a spare cent to spend on enjoyment. I realise how fortunate we were.

except for paying for parking at the beach - we had all the same benefits where we were, plus more spare money. bummer. now i can't go back to my old job, as it's a bit of an obscure one and they're cutting back and hubby is in financial services (that might be tricky at these times............) it seems staying might be best for a bit. Oh dear god - i dont know how to get through the next year or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just wanna go home.

Janine
Hi Janine

Lots of hugs & understanding to you! Seems a whole bunch of us are in the same boat eh. The lure of a bigger & better house is certainly a strong one but I for one have realised that a smaller property somewhere that feels like 'home' is worth a whole lot more. Would swap my 3 bed house here for my old 1 bed London flat in a jiffy!

Perhaps there's something you could re-train in by correspondence course if your old job is not an option in UK anymore?-maybe book keeping + account software packages? Book keepers always seem to be in work (it's what I'm thinking of doing).

Take care & keep strong!
Jools
Old May 16th 2008, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute

Xmas what Xmas blink and youve missed it.

I cannot and will not do xmas again in a country where the grinch nicked it

Even my kids dont think xmas is great here. Plus how expensive and toys and even stocking fillers for the kids.
Old May 16th 2008, 11:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jandysi
Hey there everyone!

Janine
G'day Janine - at least in here, you will definitely get people who understand! Have you thought of doing some voluntary work even if you cant get into your niche area? It can get you out of the house and hopefully increase your social circle a bit. It's a b*mmer when almost anything you want to do costs money and you dont have any! {{{{hugs}}}} hope it gets better!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.