Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Just been in UK 5 weeks for trip over

Wikiposts

Just been in UK 5 weeks for trip over

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:51 am
Pamela 1

Pamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura aboutPamela 1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Just been in UK 5 weeks for trip over

We have just had a terrific 5 weeks in UK down south, starting in Gloucestershire, home town, then to Suffolk, Eastbourne, Torquay went to Cornwall and back to Glos for last 2 days.

Traffic and parking was horrendous everywhere. Too many cars in such a small place, but more than one car to a family causes that these days.

Enjoyed the green countryside and lots of trees. Loved the choice of food in supermarkets. Needed a large suitcase to bring so many things back if I could have. Loved the bacon and had lots of it, not like the streaky stuff we get here. Loved Waitrose supermarket, even though more upscale and loved Marks and Spencers.

Weather was superb, just went cold in the last week, but tolerable.

After 35 years living overseas, we feel we could live there either in Eastbourne area or Hants/Dorset. Some things expensive, other things same price and other things cheaper.

Could not get back on the property ladder, but like the Residential Parks for the 50's and over for which we qualify.

TV so-so, but enjoyed some programmes.

Just don't know why the British have to swear and use vulgar language so much.

All in all it was a good trip and we will hope to get back over next year or 2009 and check it out for a much longer stay.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just been in UK 5 weeks for trip over

Originally Posted by Pamela 1
We have just had a terrific 5 weeks in UK down south, starting in Gloucestershire, home town, then to Suffolk, Eastbourne, Torquay went to Cornwall and back to Glos for last 2 days.

Traffic and parking was horrendous everywhere. Too many cars in such a small place, but more than one car to a family causes that these days.

Enjoyed the green countryside and lots of trees. Loved the choice of food in supermarkets. Needed a large suitcase to bring so many things back if I could have. Loved the bacon and had lots of it, not like the streaky stuff we get here. Loved Waitrose supermarket, even though more upscale and loved Marks and Spencers.

After 35 years living overseas, we feel we could live there either in Eastbourne area or Hants/Dorset. Some things expensive, other things same price and other things cheaper.

Could not get back on the property ladder, but like the Residential Parks for the 50's and over for which we qualify.

All in all it was a good trip and we will hope to get back over next year or 2009 and check it out for a much longer stay.
glad to see you had a great time going back home....I have been in Canada for 35 years too...and want to do the same. hoping next summer for us
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond reputeLothianlad has a reputation beyond repute

Weather is still superb and not at all cold at the minute

The swearing is because it's rife on the so-so TV. Not on TV but in the supermarket the other day a yelling screaming woman to her yelling screaming bairn she was trying to calm down: "Shut the f**k up will ya!" As soon as the bairn gets to learn to speak properly the f**k bit will be part of its standard speech.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Try living in Aus. You only have to switch breakfast radio on and they are all swearing. Bloody is not even considered a swear word over here! And don't get me started on all the erectile dsyfunction ads you see on TV and on radio LOL!!! "can't get it up?" blahblahblah - with the kids in the car! Unfortunately I swear far more now than I ever did in Uk My bad.
Old Oct 4th 2007, 5:35 pm

Hoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rabsody
Try living in Aus. You only have to switch breakfast radio on and they are all swearing. Bloody is not even considered a swear word over here! And don't get me started on all the erectile dsyfunction ads you see on TV and on radio LOL!!! "can't get it up?" blahblahblah - with the kids in the car! Unfortunately I swear far more now than I ever did in Uk My bad.
over here in NZ too.

There is one on the radio called 'ignite'. Gauranteed to cure erectile dsyfunction (in men AND women) for up to 2 years.

(Ouch)
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Its that ads here that get me for ladies "personal" use!!! especially when you just sitting down to have your tea and they come on very off putting
Old Oct 4th 2007, 7:36 pm
going home!!

mandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to beholdmandtooz is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hoyo
over here in NZ too.

There is one on the radio called 'ignite'. Gauranteed to cure erectile dsyfunction (in men AND women) for up to 2 years.

(Ouch)

yes, lol

had many a difficult chat with my 12 yr old!! she knows the birds and bees but erectile dysfunction???? too much info!!!!! pmsl.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:37 am
Who?

jumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond reputejumping doris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
Ahh yes. We get the erectile dysfunction ads here in the US. All times of day, in the middle of "family" shows etc.

They obviously don't have that problem in the UK
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:45 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Its that ads here that get me for ladies "personal" use!!! especially when you just sitting down to have your tea and they come on very off putting
we have that here too, charming i must say
Old Oct 6th 2007, 6:59 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Lived in Eastbourne most of my life so if you want to know good roads/areas in and around the town feel free to pm me.
Old Oct 6th 2007, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

So pleased that you enjoyed your holiday so much. We are going this month for 4 weeks.
Going to London for a few days then of to Stratford -upon- Avon, Chester. catching the ferry from Hollyhead to Dublin,staying in a cottage in Kilsale for a week. Can't wait soooooooooooo excited. Might even look at property if we have the time.