Just back from a visit

Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

mick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nice
Default Just back from a visit

Hi, I just got back from a way to short 10 days visit to the UK. As soon as i stepped off the plane back in the UK I felt this was home that i was back were I belong, it was like slipping on an old pair of slippers. I know i was on a mini vacation and it wont be like that all the time but it was so good to spend time with my mom didn't realize just how much i miss her, then to be able to pop round my brothers and have a cuppa with him was so good too.
Over here i can be out working in the front yard and no one says "hi how you doing" but back home everyone of the neighbors stopped and had a little chat when they walk past.
going back has just reinforced my feelings that i need to go home, just wish my OH who is a US citizen had the same feelings or could even understand the homesickness i feel, so now im 45 and looking at making another huge life changing decision, am i getting to old to make another move, or maybe I'm just scared of loosing all the material things I have over here and having to start all over again, I really dont know.
The trip back was wonderful but now i'm left feeling more confused and more isolated than before I went back, BTW this isnt my first trip back I have been back like 5 time in the last couple of years but each time the feelings to return get stronger just don know why i can't make the jump and go for it I know I'm going to do it soon of that I'm sure.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 10:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just back from a visit

Originally Posted by mick65
Hi, I just got back from a way to short 10 days visit to the UK. As soon as i stepped off the plane back in the UK I felt this was home that i was back were I belong, it was like slipping on an old pair of slippers. I know i was on a mini vacation and it wont be like that all the time but it was so good to spend time with my mom didn't realize just how much i miss her, then to be able to pop round my brothers and have a cuppa with him was so good too.
Over here i can be out working in the front yard and no one says "hi how you doing" but back home everyone of the neighbors stopped and had a little chat when they walk past.
going back has just reinforced my feelings that i need to go home, just wish my OH who is a US citizen had the same feelings or could even understand the homesickness i feel, so now im 45 and looking at making another huge life changing decision, am i getting to old to make another move, or maybe I'm just scared of loosing all the material things I have over here and having to start all over again, I really dont know.
The trip back was wonderful but now i'm left feeling more confused and more isolated than before I went back, BTW this isnt my first trip back I have been back like 5 time in the last couple of years but each time the feelings to return get stronger just don know why i can't make the jump and go for it I know I'm going to do it soon of that I'm sure.
Hi Mick

You are right those feelings will only get stronger, at least they do for some.

I have been back 8 weeks after 30 years in Australia and I am 57, so there's hope for a youngster like you yet!!

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

mick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nicemick65 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Mick

I have been back 8 weeks after 30 years in Australia and I am 57, so there's hope for a youngster like you yet!!

Hi,
Are you happy you moved back?
What was it like making the move back and starting over again?
Is it what you expected?
sorry for the questions lol
I'm sure it wont be long before i make the leap over the pond and come back home
Old Apr 28th 2011, 11:27 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Are you happy you moved back?
What was it like making the move back and starting over again?
Is it what you expected?
sorry for the questions lol
I'm sure it wont be long before i make the leap over the pond and come back home

SCARY SCARY SCARY LOL!!

I got a car last week, moving into my own flat next week, but still looking for a job.

Have had about 6 interviews, so I suppose that's not too bad. If you go to the over 50's thread you will see LOTS have done it, the latest is Don who has moved back from Thailand with his wife and he is 82!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I think for us after we had our first visit home (after 7 years in Aus) we came back to Aus feeling unsettled....we did have a feeling before we left for our first visit home of not having any real connection to Aus although we had a lovely home...good jobs and life was good but something was missing we just did not know what...we knew Aus still did not feel like home...after our visit we got on with our lives and really gave everything to make Aus home...moved,built a new home went on holidays then 3 years later returned to the UK for another visit....and even after all that time we just did not want to return to Aus, we did and once again got on with it but one day was just said lets go home....so after 12 years we returned last year and even with all the stress etc a move brings it has been worth it...even with the coldest winter on record we had last winter did not make us wobble...and it has now more than made up for it with the glorious Spring we are currently having...worts and all though for us England is home and there in for us makes the difference and we are no spring chickens either lol...being on the wrong side of 40...gulp.....good luck
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi

I think for us after we had our first visit home (after 7 years in Aus) we came back to Aus feeling unsettled....we did have a feeling before we left for our first visit home of not having any real connection to Aus although we had a lovely home...good jobs and life was good but something was missing we just did not know what...we knew Aus still did not feel like home...after our visit we got on with our lives and really gave everything to make Aus home...moved,built a new home went on holidays then 3 years later returned to the UK for another visit....and even after all that time we just did not want to return to Aus, we did and once again got on with it but one day was just said lets go home....so after 12 years we returned last year and even with all the stress etc a move brings it has been worth it...even with the coldest winter on record we had last winter did not make us wobble...and it has now more than made up for it with the glorious Spring we are currently having...worts and all though for us England is home and there in for us makes the difference and we are no spring chickens either lol...being on the wrong side of 40...gulp.....good luck

I've been back in the US for 5 days now and I'm really not settling back here, I'm going to throw my self into life here and see what happens but i know deep down were i belong. My wife is a US citizen and just doesn't understand the homesickness or the not belonging thing she tells me i have my family here now, but I have family and feel that i belong back home.
I love England the good and the bad I'm a different person the moment the pilot says "welcome to London Heathrow" I know I'm back were I feel right
Its not going to be long before i return I know I wont be here for ever
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Hi Mick

I went to Canada in 1987 and, in those days, in my opinion, life was much better then than what is was when I left in 2010. But, this is true everywhere. There are very few places left that are worth living that are cheap. There are always pros and cons. With Globalisation, our economies have synchronised and we all go up together and all go down together with a few exceptions of course. The bottom line is that it is best to live where you are happy.
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:53 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I've been back in the US for 5 days now and I'm really not settling back here, I'm going to throw my self into life here and see what happens but i know deep down were i belong. My wife is a US citizen and just doesn't understand the homesickness or the not belonging thing she tells me i have my family here now, but I have family and feel that i belong back home.
I love England the good and the bad I'm a different person the moment the pilot says "welcome to London Heathrow" I know I'm back were I feel right
Its not going to be long before i return I know I wont be here for ever
She really doesn't understand and that is a hurtful thing to say, just because you have family here doesn't mean you can write off everyone who is in UK and all your memories and feelings. She sounds like she feels threatened by your homesickness and is scared you will try to move her to UK.