Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Just another cursed expat!

Just another cursed expat!

Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:07 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just another cursed expat!

Thank you all for the words of advise and I will certainly take them into consideration as me and my OH decide what to do. Regarding whether my wife would go back to Scotland again, she has said she would do it for me, but I can't help but feeling guilty that part of her may not want to go. In terms of giving Seattle a try and maybe being swayed by events elsewhere in the US, I am not convinced that is the case, because the attitudes for example regarding guns still seems to somewhat prevail even here in Seattle. So even though the scenery and politicians have changed from the mid-west, the same disconnect I have with US ideologies still seems to linger even here. I have often wondered what makes some expats make it work here in the US and others just can't seem to connect.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:56 am
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HighlandPenguin
Thank you all for the words of advise and I will certainly take them into consideration as me and my OH decide what to do. Regarding whether my wife would go back to Scotland again, she has said she would do it for me, but I can't help but feeling guilty that part of her may not want to go. In terms of giving Seattle a try and maybe being swayed by events elsewhere in the US, I am not convinced that is the case, because the attitudes for example regarding guns still seems to somewhat prevail even here in Seattle. So even though the scenery and politicians have changed from the mid-west, the same disconnect I have with US ideologies still seems to linger even here. I have often wondered what makes some expats make it work here in the US and others just can't seem to connect.
I often wonder that myself. I wonder if it is as simple as those that make a go of it are coming from circumstances worse than what they are coming too? For me it was never like that. The US was a complete choice for me, a bad one it turns out but still a voluntary choice. I left something far better out of curiosity and an anticipation of adventure. In other words I was not leaving to get away from anything, or to 'better' myself etc. I don't think I have necessarily suffered being here - just realized that for me the choices and future are better in the UK. Guns is just another example of that - right now in So. CA we have a severely angered ex policeman running around taking revenge on former colleagues - the local plods (LAPD) have managed to act like true Keystone Cops and have sadly shot two completely innocent people who were in no way connected with the incident. Yet everyone just carries on with life as if it is just another day. I miss the sense of community for good or bad which pervades the UK on a society scale. The recent reaction to Starbucks or Tesco's whichever side you support just would never happen here - and frankly I think that is sad.

Last edited by vikingsail; Feb 9th 2013 at 5:59 am.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:15 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
we hear about them and know that the dragons exist over in Eastern Washington, but it is rare for us to come up face to face with them.
What dragons in Eastern Washington Just looked under my bed and out in the yard and everywhere, don't see any

But you could be right. My brother decided a few months after he graduated from WSU that he was out of here and off to Hawaii. He loves it back there and swears he will never return. Never gave any reasons though
Old Feb 9th 2013, 4:36 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desdemona
What dragons in Eastern Washington Just looked under my bed and out in the yard and everywhere, don't see any

But you could be right. My brother decided a few months after he graduated from WSU that he was out of here and off to Hawaii. He loves it back there and swears he will never return. Never gave any reasons though
I chose my words carefully, I used dragons, because it is the scary land beyond the mountains that I do not really know very much about, and visit little, but hear odd things about.

This displays the general division in WA
http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/s...s=53&year=2012
Old Feb 9th 2013, 5:18 pm
Banned

Desdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond reputeDesdemona has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
I chose my words carefully, I used dragons, because it is the scary land beyond the mountains that I do not really know very much about, and visit little, but hear odd things about.

This displays the general division in WA
http://uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/s...s=53&year=2012
I think I see what you are getting at. And in that sense it could be scary for any foreigner. Seattle is also more cosmopolitan. Here the people tend to be more secular. Except that I have family here, I would not care for the place any more than my brother did. Also the politics are overwhelmingly consertive and we're more liberal but we would not dare to talk about it openly.
The odd thigs you have heard are probably very true!
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

We have now been here almost two months and if I had the money I would be on a plane tomorrow back to Scotland. My almost 10 years living here in the US has culminated in my feeling a deep disconnect with the country. This became more apparent to me after the spate of shootings running up to the Sandy Hook massacre. Surely I am not the only British Expat who is disgusted with the obsession of guns and the 2nd amendment in this country? I am shocked at how desensitized most Americans are to the gun violence in the US. I am further disturbed by the many that truly believe the 2nd amendment gives them the right to protect themselves against a “tyrannical government”. It has dawned on me that this so-called protection against a government is the very source of why so many Americans don’t trust the Federal Government or anything federally mandated like God forbid, universal healthcare. Between these alien ideologies to me, lack of employee rights compared to the UK and a need to be closer to my family, I am driven to feel the need to leave the States. Are these thoughts of mine out of place and am I mad for yet again wanting to ping-pong back across the Atlantic to the UK? I so wish I had come to this realization when I was in the UK, as it would have saved a lot of time and energy. Needless to say my OH is tired of all the moving and I don’t blame her as we need to settle down, especially if we decide to have kids. But that is just it too. If we are to have kids, I would much rather have them raised in the UK. Then I wonder if a move to the UK would have my OH feeling the same way about the UK as I do about the US. Please let me know if I am loosing the plot and if I have rose tinted glasses on or if I should try to see if Seattle will improve with time? Although I somehow think after 10 years living in different parts of the US, that I should know by now whether I like the place or not.
This all really strikes a cord with me. In fact most of your points could be coming from me, except for the fact that I am American, born and bred (and feel very much non American at the same time), I've lived in the Seattle area 3.5 years now (although by 3 months in I knew it wasn't the place for us- the feeling has never wavered), I do have kids and fear for them every single day. I am so extremely against this gun mentality that I, like you, just don't understand how a human could think that way.

Honestly, I would say leave if the feeling is strong enough. Do what you can to make it happen. My husband was happy when we moved here, of course he was also happy to stay in Colorado when we moved from there, he was also sick of moving around and at 3 months when I was sure I did not want to stay here anymore he was my biggest battle. So I told myself I will give it 6 months and if the feeling still did not change, we would work on moving. Here we are 3 and a half years later and just now starting to work on actually moving. I regret (and get mad) that it took so stupidly long, so my advice is if the feeling is strong enough then you know what you need to do.
Old Feb 9th 2013, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Beccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the roughBeccarose is a jewel in the rough

Truth is it's not just expats. There are Americans (myself included) who can't seem to fit in either. I suspect that's true with all countries and cultures, there are those that seem to stick out and who can't quite understand the local ideologies and ways of thinking. Truth is eventhough I grew up in the US and have always lived here (minus a little time in Sweden) I still can't seem to make it work. I disagree with too much and have felt for a very long time that I just don't belong here.
If your wife is willing to make the move back, then I don't think you should feel a need to feel guilty over it. If it's not working, it's not working and she sees that enough to want to try something that may work. You're lucky in that regard.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 2:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beccarose
Truth is it's not just expats. There are Americans (myself included) who can't seem to fit in either. I suspect that's true with all countries and cultures, there are those that seem to stick out and who can't quite understand the local ideologies and ways of thinking. Truth is eventhough I grew up in the US and have always lived here (minus a little time in Sweden) I still can't seem to make it work. I disagree with too much and have felt for a very long time that I just don't belong here.
If your wife is willing to make the move back, then I don't think you should feel a need to feel guilty over it. If it's not working, it's not working and she sees that enough to want to try something that may work. You're lucky in that regard.
My DD, who is now 21 and has lived here all her life, has been feeling this way for the last couple of years. We were hoping that she would come with us to the UK, but she has set her sights on something grander: once she gets her nursing degree in 2 years, she is applying to join Doctors without Borders. Regardless of what she ends up doing, we are hoping that she will permanently pack up sticks in the US though and make the UK her home base. We plan on being there in 3-4 years, so she has time to decide.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

mandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nicemandianna is just really nice

I too agree with you in the 2nd amendment. I just dont get the whole gun thing at all. I can't wait to leave I have been in upstate NY for 6 years an have never really fitted in. I always had friends in Scotland and then I came here and no one really bothers with you. I miss so much about being home especially how friendly everyone is I can go out all day here and no one will talk to me. Back in Scotland wee grannies chat to you people in shops talk to you etc. I used to think the culture was very homely before I got here and it is quite the opposite in my experience. I find people plesant enough but it all feels too artificial and there is no depth to any of my relationships here.

I guess one good thing about us all being so homesick is that you don't take things back home for granted. You appreciate things much more when your gone. So when I do get back I totally absorb myself into my whole culture and become a tourist in my own home I also have great respect for the NHS all its faults it rocks in my book. But man I sure do miss a good chippy and having real food. I hate all the junk in the food here.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 3:48 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mandianna
I too agree with you in the 2nd amendment. I just dont get the whole gun thing at all. I can't wait to leave I have been in upstate NY for 6 years an have never really fitted in. I always had friends in Scotland and then I came here and no one really bothers with you. I miss so much about being home especially how friendly everyone is I can go out all day here and no one will talk to me. Back in Scotland wee grannies chat to you people in shops talk to you etc. I used to think the culture was very homely before I got here and it is quite the opposite in my experience. I find people plesant enough but it all feels too artificial and there is no depth to any of my relationships here.

I guess one good thing about us all being so homesick is that you don't take things back home for granted. You appreciate things much more when your gone. So when I do get back I totally absorb myself into my whole culture and become a tourist in my own home I also have great respect for the NHS all its faults it rocks in my book. But man I sure do miss a good chippy and having real food. I hate all the junk in the food here.
A feeling of genuine sadness seems to pervade this thread. But you know what, I have begun relate to and also begun to understand some of the feelings expressed here. I was not born here nor raised here nor my brother or even my husband. The only reason I remain here is that I still have family left here. I know this should be enough but since my brother left this state to move to Hawaii (He is happy and content there for the first time in the years he spent here going to school and College) and although I miss him terribly, I wish him well. As for me and hubby we're still here because my father needs us (He's American). But we too are seriously considering moving as we have never really fitted in here. Neither of us attended school in the US. So we have no real friends and have never really fitted in. We have no real deep connection to this country except through my father and also the fact that we both work in the family business belonging to my father, and once he is gone which I hope won't be for many years, we are seriously thinking of moving to where we really feel we belong and that isn't here in the US
Old Feb 12th 2013, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomikev
I used to think so too, by at least with the tories you know they are going to fleece you and they make no attempt to hide the fact that they are all Margo Ledbetters and are lap dogs to the aristocracy, With labour you get fleeced just as badly while they pretend to be for the working man, and that is hypocrisy, and the older I get the higher that word goes on my list of disgusting character traits.
Have to agree with you on this....
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I flipping hope not or England will never get a non-Tory Government again.
Opinion polls currently show a majority wants to stay in the Union.
I am still re-acquainting myself with what is going on over there so forgive me if this is a silly question. If Scotland gets its independence from the UK and becomes a separate country, will Scotland at that point still be part of the EU?
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:04 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I am still re-acquainting myself with what is going on over there so forgive me if this is a silly question. If Scotland gets its independence from the UK and becomes a separate country, will Scotland at that point still be part of the EU?
The last I heard, Salmond said 'yes'; the EU said 'no'.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 6:17 am
Expert ping ponger

HighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond reputeHighlandPenguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
The SNP would like to retain EU membership for Scotland if they gain independence. However Scotland would have to reapply for EU membership. To be honest though, current polls don't indicate wide support for Scottish independence, unless those polls shift come 2014.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you Kimilseung and Highland Penguin. From what I have read it almost sounds as though the UK would be better off out of the EU, although I am still learning about it all. For this reason, I thought that if Scotland was to achieve independence, it would kill two birds with one stone Of course, I'd much prefer to keep the UK as it is now - all one country - because that is how I remember it. However, I have seen a lot of promotion for Scotland's independence over the Internet and it really made me wonder how things stood.

Thanks again!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.