Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Joining the Ranks of the Uninsured

Joining the Ranks of the Uninsured

Old Apr 27th 2013, 7:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Joining the Ranks of the Uninsured

Well, I wish I could report that our move out to Seattle has been great and without hiccups, but that sadly hasn't been the case. There's been a few things that we haven't like about Seattle so far, but they were minor compared to what occurred to us earlier this week. My OH was quite suddenly laid off/let go on Wednesday. This couldn't have happened at a worse time for us financially. Luckily I will finally be starting work as a contractor next week, but it's not enough for us to pay all of our bills. He will qualify for unemployment, but it will take a couple of weeks to get the checks rolling in. Between that and my checks, we should have just enough to get by. But it will be without health insurance. My contracting company offers insurance for $480/mo, but the waiting period is 90 days, and it doesn't kick in until we've paid the $10k deductible. We just can't afford to lose $480/mo, knowing we'll have to pay out the first $10k before it even kicks in. So that's one of the scariest things for us to digest right now, esp knowing I have a pretty significant pre-existing condition.

We were actually planning on moving back to Scotland by the end of the year, so now we aren't sure if that is going to be possible, unless he is lucky enough to land another job relatively quickly. If the sh!t hits the fan due to my health, we may just have to find a way to force that to happen, so we don't find ourselves bankrupt with health debt.

So keep your fingers crossed he can find another job quickly, one that includes decent & affordable insurance.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joining the Ranks of the Uninsured

Oh no! Just so sorry to hear the bad news, and all the worry it brings. for him to get another job soon and for your plans to work out.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to read your post...especially after all the comings and goings you guys have been through recently.

I hope your husband manages to secure another job soon. It must be very worrying for both of you...and stress is the last thing you need.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Apr 27th 2013 at 10:46 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
Well, I wish I could report that our move out to Seattle has been great and without hiccups, but that sadly hasn't been the case. There's been a few things that we haven't like about Seattle so far, but they were minor compared to what occurred to us earlier this week. My OH was quite suddenly laid off/let go on Wednesday. This couldn't have happened at a worse time for us financially. Luckily I will finally be starting work as a contractor next week, but it's not enough for us to pay all of our bills. He will qualify for unemployment, but it will take a couple of weeks to get the checks rolling in. Between that and my checks, we should have just enough to get by. But it will be without health insurance. My contracting company offers insurance for $480/mo, but the waiting period is 90 days, and it doesn't kick in until we've paid the $10k deductible. We just can't afford to lose $480/mo, knowing we'll have to pay out the first $10k before it even kicks in. So that's one of the scariest things for us to digest right now, esp knowing I have a pretty significant pre-existing condition.

We were actually planning on moving back to Scotland by the end of the year, so now we aren't sure if that is going to be possible, unless he is lucky enough to land another job relatively quickly. If the sh!t hits the fan due to my health, we may just have to find a way to force that to happen, so we don't find ourselves bankrupt with health debt.

So keep your fingers crossed he can find another job quickly, one that includes decent & affordable insurance.

Very sorry to hear this. This country can be very difficult, and things can go bad very quickly due to the lack of safety net and next to no employment protection. I hope he finds a job soon, and maybe the best thing is to get yourselves to Scotland by hook or by crook.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 10:55 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Hoping that your husband can find another job with health care, BluegrassLass! I had a family member who was uncovered for about a year; made all the family very nervous, but she was OK & finally found coverage.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 11:15 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

My OH was quite suddenly laid off/let go on Wednesday.
Do you know if he qualifies to continue his coverage under COBRA? Better find out fast. It does cost quite a bit but there's no lapse in coverage or waiting period and you can discontinue it when yours kicks in.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 11:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about this. Could they make it any worse - lose job and lose health coverage.

Since you have a pre-condition, if hubby does not get a job in the short term I would advise taking the coverage your contract offers. Better to be paying the 480 a month, than risking getting sick and paying out thousands.

My insurance has a 6K deductible, but, again, would rather have that high, but definitive cost than an unknown, maybe HUGE cost without the insurance.

Good luck to you.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Do you know if he qualifies to continue his coverage under COBRA? Better find out fast. It does cost quite a bit but there's no lapse in coverage or waiting period and you can discontinue it when yours kicks in.
For real. I would yell it if I could, look into COBRA. Technically you don't have to sign up for it right away, you can wait and see and then sign up but I believe you will need to back pay so it might work out worse in the long run doing that.
Old Apr 27th 2013, 11:50 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing you some good luck BG Lass. At least Seattle seems to have the best job market in the PNW, so hopefully he finds something quickly.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

cynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond reputecynthia786 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know which county you live in, but Washington State has a very good insurance program called Basic Health for low-income families. When we joined in 2008 there was no wait-list and we got on immediately. It is now closed and you have to get on the wait-list. You can register to be put on the wait-list and in the meantime, enroll in the Washington Health Program. It only covers you for $75K or $100K a year which is I know it very little, but it's better than nothing. Here's the link
http://www.washingtonhealth.hca.wa.g...acco=0#results
http://www.washingtonhealth.hca.wa.gov/benefits
The health exchanges in Washington State are open for enrollment from October 2013 and they begin operations in Jan 2014.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the well wishes everyone. We have considered COBRA. We know for just him it would be around $450, so I imagine it would double that cost to cover both of us. Considering how tight the budget is, there is just no way we could afford that kind of payment and still keep a roof over our head and food on the table. The high cost of living, and knowing there's no way out of our lease (with a pretty high rent payment) is what really is hurting us. If we could get out of the lease and find something at least $400 cheaper, we wouldn't be in such dire straits, but that isn't possible.

As it is, doing the math, we really just can't afford to lose that $480/mo, esp knowing that since there will be a 90 day waiting period, my pre-existing condition won't be covered anyway for a certain period of time. We know it's a big damn gamble to not take it though.

Our biggest hope is for hubby to get a permanent position, with benefits, as quickly as possible. He's already been in contact with several recruiters, and has found positions he's applying for, so we are hopeful something could come through soon.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 12:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your predicament BGL. Sounds like you are caught between three unattractive options: COBRA, which in my experience is horrifically expensive (that option was worthless when I was between jobs, and being uninsured was more palatable), your contract insurance which has a high deductible, and no coverage at all.

I hope your husband finds another position quickly, and that all works out for you.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 1:09 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

He's already been in contact with several recruiters, and has found positions he's applying for, so we are hopeful something could come through soon.
Fingers crossed for that!! Good Luck!
Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:10 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about all that. I love this country, I really do, but the healthcare system can turn things to sh.t so quickly.

Fingers crossed for you, lass.
Old Apr 28th 2013, 2:22 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear you're having tough times -- hope your new work turns out well and that your OH soon finds a new position. Hang in there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.