Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Joining the Ranks of the Uninsured

Joining the Ranks of the Uninsured

Old Apr 30th 2013, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Joining the Ranks of the Uninsured

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
COBRA is whatever the total cost (employer + employee) is of your employer-provided insurance, plus 3%. So the more gold-plated your insurance is, the higher the COBRA cost for it.

The one good thing about COBRA is you have 60 days to decide whether to take it. Soo... it does give you a little bit of breathing room to find something else in the knowledge that if a significant expenditure does occur during that 60 day time period, you can sign up retroactively and get the expense covered. So number 1 task for the OP is to find the cost for both of them be covered.
+1 ...

You can sign up today, and be fully covered, without having to pay anything for 60 days; and then - if hubby gets another job with coverage in, say, 2 months, you can cancel without paying anything. I've done that between jobs a few times. And if sh!t happens, and you need it, the $450 you would then be forced to pay would be peanuts in comparison to what it would otherwise cost - so no downside.

There is one piece of Cobra I don't understand ... if hubby signed up for coverage for himself only, can he only continue that 'self' coverage through Cobra, or can he - after being laid off - up the coverage to 'self+spouse' ? I have a notion that you can only continue with Cobra what you started before the 'event' ... but I don't know.

Best of luck to you ... what's the opportunity in Scotland?
Old Apr 30th 2013, 2:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
There is one piece of Cobra I don't understand ... if hubby signed up for coverage for himself only, can he only continue that 'self' coverage through Cobra, or can he - after being laid off - up the coverage to 'self+spouse' ? I have a notion that you can only continue with Cobra what you started before the 'event' ... but I don't know.
You can only continue with the participants that were enrolled at the time COBRA came into play, or a subset of those participants.
Old Apr 30th 2013, 6:09 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear this!

Good luck to your OH on the job hunt!
Old May 1st 2013, 5:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Best of luck to you ... what's the opportunity in Scotland?
There is no job opportunity yet in Scotland, but he is working on that angle. However, we need to make sure we have enough money to make the move. We weren't planning on moving until towards the end of the year (late Fall) to give us enough funds to pay a few things off, and pay for the move..now we aren't sure if we are going to be able to hit that financial goal before the date we had in mind. If we can't hit that date deadline, then it means me starting all over again with a new visa under a new set of rules that may make it quite a bit more difficult for us to even move (UKBA has really tightened up the rules for Brits bringing back foreign spouses). So we are under a bit of a time crunch that's just adding additional stress to an already fairly tense situation.

He's had a few bites here in Seattle, so we're hoping something will pull through quickly.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes everyone, including the PMs. As much as I know I've had some differing views from some of you over the years, it's amazes me how much this board feels like a makeshift family. Most of you understand me, and know more about me than my own family; which says a lot about what I can share/not share with them.
Old May 1st 2013, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluegrass Lass
There is no job opportunity yet in Scotland, but he is working on that angle. However, we need to make sure we have enough money to make the move. We weren't planning on moving until towards the end of the year (late Fall) to give us enough funds to pay a few things off, and pay for the move..now we aren't sure if we are going to be able to hit that financial goal before the date we had in mind. If we can't hit that date deadline, then it means me starting all over again with a new visa under a new set of rules that may make it quite a bit more difficult for us to even move (UKBA has really tightened up the rules for Brits bringing back foreign spouses). So we are under a bit of a time crunch that's just adding additional stress to an already fairly tense situation.

He's had a few bites here in Seattle, so we're hoping something will pull through quickly.

Again, thanks for all the well wishes everyone, including the PMs. As much as I know I've had some differing views from some of you over the years, it's amazes me how much this board feels like a makeshift family. Most of you understand me, and know more about me than my own family; which says a lot about what I can share/not share with them.
OMG Bluegrass, after all you've already been through I would be moving heaven and earth to get back to Scotland instead of trying to patch up another situation gone wrong here. I am hoping for the best for you to find a solution soon
Old May 1st 2013, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
OMG Bluegrass, after all you've already been through I would be moving heaven and earth to get back to Scotland instead of trying to patch up another situation gone wrong here. I am hoping for the best for you to find a solution soon
Yes, I think Bluegrass should definitely try to get in with the old visa. Can husband's family put you up?
Old Jun 1st 2013, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd come back and update my thread. OH landed a job yesterday. He starts next Wed. He'll be getting a better salary and better benefits than the job that laid him off. Of course the situation has gotten more complicated in that he has an interview with Amazon in Edinburgh on Monday & 2 other potential interviews with UK companies too (just wish they all hadn't taken a month to get back to him). So if one of those jobs pans out, we still might be able to squeeze in a move back this year before my current visa expires. Otherwise a move back will be pushed out til next year, and will mean a new visa process for me (under the new rules).

We've also managed to get out of our current overpriced flat, and have found another one to move into that puts us closer to work and will save us around $500/mo in rent.

But the happiness of these accomplishments has been tempered by the sudden death of my grandfather last evening. Esp since we can't afford for me to take time off and can't afford a ticket back to KY for the funeral. It's definitely made us do some evaluating and soul searching about what we want and where we really want to be. The curse of moving away from family..

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Jun 1st 2013 at 5:04 am.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 4:59 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Well, congrats on the job and apartment situation, and condolences on your grandfather. Those sort of things really do hit hard when you're away from the family, especially if you have no way to get back. Its something a lot of folk on here have been through, but it doesn't make it any easier to know that you're not the only ones. But just know that there are folk out here that feel for you, and are thinking of you.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 1:58 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Condolences, Bluegrass Lass -- it's so hard not to be around family when you've suffered a loss.

Happy that things are looking up on the job front -- hopefully it's better to be spoiled for choice than to have none.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:33 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for your loss Bluegrass.

At least the crisis is over on the income/employment front. Living on the edge is no fun at all - got the t shirt, etc. etc. Things are beginning to look up for you, you will be ok now.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 2:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Just thought I'd come back and update my thread. OH landed a job yesterday. He starts next Wed. He'll be getting a better salary and better benefits than the job that laid him off. Of course the situation has gotten more complicated in that he has an interview with Amazon in Edinburgh on Monday & 2 other potential interviews with UK companies too (just wish they all hadn't taken a month to get back to him). So if one of those jobs pans out, we still might be able to squeeze in a move back this year before my current visa expires. Otherwise a move back will be pushed out til next year, and will mean a new visa process for me (under the new rules).

We've also managed to get out of our current overpriced flat, and have found another one to move into that puts us closer to work and will save us around $500/mo in rent.

But the happiness of these accomplishments has been tempered by the sudden death of my grandfather last evening. Esp since we can't afford for me to take time off and can't afford a ticket back to KY for the funeral. It's definitely made us do some evaluating and soul searching about what we want and where we really want to be. The curse of moving away from family..
Some good news and some sad. Sorry to hear the sad news, I'm sure everyone that matters will understand your situation. You can find a way to grieve your grandfathers death yourself, maybe framing a nice picture of the two of you from years gone by that will bring back happy memories?

Well done on the job and apartment and good luck to OH on his new interviews
Old Jun 1st 2013, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how you were getting on. Sorry to hear about your grandfather, but glad to hear things are brighter on other fronts.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 1:23 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, that's good news about the jobs, but I'm very sorry to hear about your grandfather. When it rains, it pours, right?

My own grandfather passed away in 2009, when I was eight months pregnant. I couldn't afford to get on a plane to see him when he was very ill, but I thought he'd make it until after my baby was born. Turns out he couldn't... and then I gave birth two weeks after his death anyway - five weeks premature. It was very stressful and very sad, and I completely understand *that part* of what you're going through right now. I'm so sorry.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Some good news and some sad. Sorry to hear the sad news, I'm sure everyone that matters will understand your situation. You can find a way to grieve your grandfathers death yourself, maybe framing a nice picture of the two of you from years gone by that will bring back happy memories?

Well done on the job and apartment and good luck to OH on his new interviews

Yes, thankfully my family understands the situation. It's not just the money trying to get back, it's also trying to get that time away from work - it's a very important time (end of fiscal year) and we contractors are quite busy..and with no PTO or other bennies, it really just isn't possible to take a few days off.

I do have a few photos of my Papa I've been looking through. Unfortunately he didn't like photos of him taken, so I don't have too many to chose from.

We just wish we didn't feel so confused about where to live. I think we want to get back near family, but moving back to the midwest just doesn't have appeal, although the cost of living back there does. And the cost & logistics of moving back to Scotland right now just feels a bit daunting. OH is worried I won't be happy there and that I'm making a huge sacrifice for him. And I can't alleviate his fears since I worry about being happy there too..but I'm willing to give it a go again and see how it works out.
Old Jun 2nd 2013, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, thankfully my family understands the situation. It's not just the money trying to get back, it's also trying to get that time away from work - it's a very important time (end of fiscal year) and we contractors are quite busy..and with no PTO or other bennies, it really just isn't possible to take a few days off.

I do have a few photos of my Papa I've been looking through. Unfortunately he didn't like photos of him taken, so I don't have too many to chose from.

We just wish we didn't feel so confused about where to live. I think we want to get back near family, but moving back to the midwest just doesn't have appeal, although the cost of living back there does. And the cost & logistics of moving back to Scotland right now just feels a bit daunting. OH is worried I won't be happy there and that I'm making a huge sacrifice for him. And I can't alleviate his fears since I worry about being happy there too..but I'm willing to give it a go again and see how it works out.
With a bit of planning, you can get inexpensive flights back to the midwest from Seattle; you could make it a regular habit if you wanted to (once your job/income situation stabilizes). You can do likewise from the UK, of course, but the planning burden will be higher and the costs also. If you now have a reasonable job situation on the horizon, I would let that pan out and see how you feel. This is assuming you actually LIKE where you are, of course, from a 'people', 'friends', etc perspective.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.