Jobs going begging

Old Mar 14th 2011, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Jobs going begging

hi i work 3 nights a week at a nursing home in morayshire.pay is s***e and i usually come home at 8 am,have a cuppa etc in bed at 8.30.if not working next day get up at 12mday and by 9pm feeling terrible.need to stay up to 11ish so i can sleep through the night.(usually clean to stay awake)!!!it upsets your whole body clock,eating etc.(not good for the old hanky panky either)!!!

only get paid an extra 50p and hour but at least you get your hours out of the way quicker.
pi**ing me off big time this week as my roster has been changed yet again,my shifts are crap.just have to think of my pay cheque at end of month i suppose eh
Old Mar 14th 2011, 12:48 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's nothing to do with banks:

http://www.dj-driver-training.co.uk/4.html
I didn't think it was. LOL! But it was fun to speculate.

Bev
Old Mar 14th 2011, 3:31 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Considering the article is from The Sun, I wouldn't be so certain on that. They, along with certain other tabloids, are known for being a bit economical with the full story. No real difference to the likes of the Daily Mail that often gets mentioned on here.
I like the way you think

Whenever I hear one of these stories my antennae go up. They're written just to cause outrage and get people talking. The Sun isn't worth the paper it's printed on IMHO.

I have a theory that if all the tabloids in the UK went away, the country's happiness level would leap up. All that outrage and resentment would vanish because no one would hear about the immigrant family who refused well-paying jobs just so they could lounge on a recliner while white Brits dropped grapes into their mouths.

What, you didn't hear that one? I was outraged I tell you!!
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:20 am
Account Closed

Margaret3 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
hi i work 3 nights a week at a nursing home in morayshire.pay is s***e and i usually come home at 8 am,have a cuppa etc in bed at 8.30.if not working next day get up at 12mday and by 9pm feeling terrible.need to stay up to 11ish so i can sleep through the night.(usually clean to stay awake)!!!it upsets your whole body clock,eating etc.(not good for the old hanky panky either)!!!

only get paid an extra 50p and hour but at least you get your hours out of the way quicker.
pi**ing me off big time this week as my roster has been changed yet again,my shifts are crap.just have to think of my pay cheque at end of month i suppose eh
been there and done that, you have my total sympathy
Old Mar 15th 2011, 1:49 am
Just Joined

MickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Margaret3
As a nurse i often have to work nightshift, but if someone told me i had to do it permenantly then i think i would shoot myself!

I totally agree with dunroving statement, but i can see why no one would be clambering to do nights.

There are also a few studies around proving permenant night shift is definately bad for you health, and i would agree totally, after nights i usually get a migrane, feel like crap for about two days, and then low and behold its time to go back to work on nigts
I was a Liaison Nurse until a couple of years ago, but didn't get the grading appropriate for the work involved so I opted to do permanent nights (3 per week). No one else wanted to do it.....

Now life is sweet - I'm in charge and don't need to get involved in politics and squabbles over nothing important. The money is good and the time off is sooooo much better than 9-5 Mon-Fri + callouts, and the work is easier.

As for being detrimental to health: I do a few things that are much more injurious (although much more fun) Anyway, I'll get plenty of sleep when I'm dead.......
Old Mar 15th 2011, 2:54 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MickeyTong
I was a Liaison Nurse until a couple of years ago, but didn't get the grading appropriate for the work involved so I opted to do permanent nights (3 per week). No one else wanted to do it.....

Now life is sweet - I'm in charge and don't need to get involved in politics and squabbles over nothing important. The money is good and the time off is sooooo much better than 9-5 Mon-Fri + callouts, and the work is easier.

As for being detrimental to health: I do a few things that are much more injurious (although much more fun) Anyway, I'll get plenty of sleep when I'm dead.......
Sounds like why Dh loved nights, he never saw any of the bosses, could work at his own pace and no one bothered him.
Now we have compromised, he works 4 10hr shifts and is home in bed by 3am, so he can at least seem quite normal on his 3 days off a week
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
I wonder where they have been advertising it then, weird. Somethings not right with that story, I bet they haven't tried to find UK people very hard, just a few ads locally.
Being The Sun it may well be another beat up of folk on benefits,meanwhile the company actually wants to employ East European folk,for their own reasons, cost and perhaps loyality reasons,as well as to why they are enticing Slovaks to UK.

Wouldn't have thought folk would look to the American system as an example of a way to follow.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:43 am
Just Joined

MickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to allMickeyTong is a name known to all

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Being The Sun it may well be another beat up of folk on benefits,meanwhile the company actually wants to employ East European folk,for their own reasons, cost and perhaps loyality reasons,as well as to why they are enticing Slovaks to UK.

Wouldn't have thought folk would look to the American system as an example of a way to follow.
I'm sorry to say that are many Brits who will not work. Where I live there is high unemployment, but people don't want to work on the fish farms or fish factories which advertise vacancies. So the jobs get taken by East Europeans - at the same salary, not less. After a couple of years the East Euros are well settled here: got a mortgage, a car, and still doing the same job.
I saw a TV programme about East Anglia and the influx of Poles, etc (nearly a million) after the EU let them in. Many of them doing agricultural labouring jobs - picking vegetables: all you need is 10 minutes' training and 20 words of English. Crappy, boring work, 60 hours a week.....paying £25000 a year. Local young Brits won't do it, they'd rather stay on the dole and smoke skunk. The whole local economy would collapse if not for Polish labour.
A bit different to the American system, which uses illegal migrant labour at far below the minimum wage.
Old Mar 15th 2011, 4:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Sounds like why Dh loved nights, he never saw any of the bosses, could work at his own pace and no one bothered him.
Now we have compromised, he works 4 10hr shifts and is home in bed by 3am, so he can at least seem quite normal on his 3 days off a week
I seem quite normal, too, but if you scratch the surface you'll find a bit of weirdness that just won't go away.......

I do 3 x 13 hour shifts and, often there is a week between rotas
Sometimes I take a week's annual leave and I'm off work for nearly 3 weeks. It's the best job I've ever had......
Old Mar 15th 2011, 11:53 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

A bit different to the American system, which uses illegal migrant labour at far below the minimum wage.
Do you buy South African oranges?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ers-conditions
Old Mar 15th 2011, 3:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I seem quite normal, too, but if you scratch the surface you'll find a bit of weirdness that just won't go away.......

I do 3 x 13 hour shifts and, often there is a week between rotas
Sometimes I take a week's annual leave and I'm off work for nearly 3 weeks. It's the best job I've ever had......
OK you must be related to Dh then
Old Mar 15th 2011, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mallory
Yeah. Israeli oranges, too. And electronics made in China. And coffee, and chocolate.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:34 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
I like the way you think

Whenever I hear one of these stories my antennae go up. They're written just to cause outrage and get people talking. The Sun isn't worth the paper it's printed on IMHO.

I have a theory that if all the tabloids in the UK went away, the country's happiness level would leap up. All that outrage and resentment would vanish because no one would hear about the immigrant family who refused well-paying jobs just so they could lounge on a recliner while white Brits dropped grapes into their mouths.

What, you didn't hear that one? I was outraged I tell you!!
So true. As an ex-journo and someone who's worked for the government and had to deal with the tabloids, it's absolutely all about printing the most depressing news possible.
I'm quite glad the newspaper business is doing so badly, british papers spin doom and gloom the same way the news over here spins fearmongering.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 5:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Margaret3
As a nurse i often have to work nightshift, but if someone told me i had to do it permenantly then i think i would shoot myself!

I totally agree with dunroving statement, but i can see why no one would be clambering to do nights.

There are also a few studies around proving permenant night shift is definately bad for you health, and i would agree totally, after nights i usually get a migrane, feel like crap for about two days, and then low and behold its time to go back to work on nigts
I'll just get ready to duck the arrows but I do NOT think that someone should take any job rather than no job. Not everyone has the right physical makeup to work nights and as Margaret pointed out above, this could cause ill health which would then cost the system a lot more.
We are not robots; we are people, and though a person might well take a job that may not be their first choice, I do not think that someone should take a job that will make them absolutely miserable.
Old Apr 16th 2011, 1:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dunroving
It's also due to the UK "safety net" phenomenon. The thought of being penniless, homeless and without health care is a real motivator to take any kind of job in the US
It's time to say,if offered a job,take it or loose your dole.that's the choice