Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Jobs in the Bag What Car ?

Jobs in the Bag What Car ?

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jobs in the Bag What Car ?

Originally Posted by Fish n Chips 56
Hi Cheers.

Shooting Brake, Estate Car or Wagon its the same thing.
OK. I think the popular term in the UK right now is the Estate Car.
Shooting brake is an old term.
Wagon is American term.
In my view
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

cheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond reputecheers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Cheers.

I understand your point about warming up, infact I prefer petrol myself, its far cheaper than Diesel in America right now.
I had a Diesel Oldsmobile and I liked it. Once when I was driving long distance I got up one morning and the diesel fuel had turned into a gel so the car wouldn't start. I had it towed to a garage and they waited for it to liquidify as the temperature warmed. I never hear of that happening now so I wonder if they have changed the composition of the fuel?
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Fish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond reputeFish n Chips 56 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheers
I had a Diesel Oldsmobile and I liked it. Once when I was driving long distance I got up one morning and the diesel fuel had turned into a gel so the car wouldn't start. I had it towed to a garage and they waited for it to liquidify as the temperature warmed. I never hear of that happening now so I wonder if they have changed the composition of the fuel?
They may have changed, it I dont know, it was common to have semi trucks stuck in winter when I lived in Wyoming, Welding trucks would come along and thaw out the lines.

We always used Heet in our gas powered cars to stop water from freezing in our petrol tanks.

I remember the Diesel Oldsmobiles as I worked for Chevy, Olds, Cadillac dealer in those days...
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

happyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond reputehappyglow has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that diesel is a lot better able to cope with low temps now - certainly the ones likely to be experienced in the UK.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:42 am
BE Forum Addict

They may have changed, it I dont know, it was common to have semi trucks stuck in winter when I lived in Wyoming, Welding trucks would come along and thaw out the lines.

We always used Heet in our gas powered cars to stop water from freezing in our petrol tanks.

I remember the Diesel Oldsmobiles as I worked for Chevy, Olds, Cadillac dealer in those days...
I think they got a bad rap! How long has GM been making diesel??
Old Mar 4th 2013, 4:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Yep, I read that, plus:

Diesel cars cost more to buy
Repairs cost more

There are a couple of interesting articles that show the "tipping point" beyond which you recoup the higher cost of a diesel. You really need to drive a lot of miles and keep the car for about 5 years.

They are better for towing though, and more durable engines, and I think if you particularly want a diesel you should get one regardless of price. My next car I am considering buying a diesel engined car just to try it out (I usually buy cars 5-8 years old, < £5k).

If the OP is interested in a mini-MPV/multi-use car, I was looking at some review videos on YouTube for the Fiat Qubo - looks like an interesting car ... ideal for anyone who wants room for carrying stuff. Citroen Berlingo Multispace is a similar car/van hybrid, but looks a bit like Postman Pat's van ... I don't mind the look of them too much but notice many of the taxis in Glasgow are Berlingos.
Yes thanks for that suggestion. The diesel debate is an interesting one. Last time I was in the UK for any length of time I used to drive around in a Peugoet 205 diesel. It was a great car and lasted for years. But I am researching myself whether diesel would be a better option or not, jury is still out for me. I don't need a big car but would like economical like everyone else. I like to hike/climb a lot and will be revisiting all the old favourites in Snowdonia, The Lakes and possibly even Scotland - Glencoe etc in the next few years so will need economy. Definietly leaning toward the Skoda's and Hyundais of the world. Quite shocked actually at how much Toyota's and Honda's cost in the UK. I also have in mind if I get a smaller car I can indulge in a toy - motorbike for myself - purely for fun - no commuting.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Yes thanks for that suggestion. The diesel debate is an interesting one. Last time I was in the UK for any length of time I used to drive around in a Peugoet 205 diesel. It was a great car and lasted for years. But I am researching myself whether diesel would be a better option or not, jury is still out for me. I don't need a big car but would like economical like everyone else. I like to hike/climb a lot and will be revisiting all the old favourites in Snowdonia, The Lakes and possibly even Scotland - Glencoe etc in the next few years so will need economy. Definietly leaning toward the Skoda's and Hyundais of the world. Quite shocked actually at how much Toyota's and Honda's cost in the UK. I also have in mind if I get a smaller car I can indulge in a toy - motorbike for myself - purely for fun - no commuting.
vikingsail
I found the 2 Skoda diesels we own are very economical and have lots of torque which are found better than petrol engines when we driven in steep terrain such as the hills around the lakes. I travel at least 18 000 miles a year and found diesel cars really robust and reliable. We have a Fabia estate and Octavia Scout which have good load capacity and can easily carry camping equipment etc for a family of 4.
To get your money of of a diesel car you need to drive a lot and expect to keep the cars for a good few years. Our Fabia diesel is 10 years old and the body work/engine is in good condition and the mileage was clocked 175K last week. I understand the VW TDI engines have been known to clock 300K+, with the record being held at 562K in a Diesel Jetta.

Hudd
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

If the Superb was that good, it makes the Fabia and Octavia look even better. the Superb is only available as a saloon (or hatchback, can't recall) and is somewhat of a bland/budget version of the other Skodas (has received some pretty bland reviews for that reason - decent performance, decent price, decent kit, all-around decent car, i.e., relatively unexciting).

Mind you, I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who said all of that so what do you expect?
Just a wee bump for the following reasons:

First what did you decide to get? Are you going for the Skodas?

Second, I had a "duh" moment - the Superb isn't the budget car (in fact it's the top-end family car!) - it was the new Rapide that I was thinking of. Apparently very reliable but bland, bland, bland.

And last, Skoda has another VAT-free offer going, worth taking a look:

http://www.skoda.co.uk/finance/finance-offers/no-vat
Old Mar 28th 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the link I am certainly going to look at Skoda's not sure yet. I saw on another thread someone said nearly 70mpg for a VW Polo, I am going to check that out. Certain irony there as when I left the UK it was a VW Polo I was driving
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:57 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vikingsail
Thanks for the link I am certainly going to look at Skoda's not sure yet. I saw on another thread someone said nearly 70mpg for a VW Polo, I am going to check that out. Certain irony there as when I left the UK it was a VW Polo I was driving
Skoda Fabia Greenline does over 80 mpg combined and is so low on emmissions it is road tax free.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:00 am
Forum Regular

huddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura abouthuddm has a spectacular aura about

Skoda Fabia Greenline does over 80 mpg combined and is so low on emmissions it is road tax free.
Dunroving

The best I have achieved out of my 1.9 TDI Fabia is 74 mpg and that is for a 10 year old car. I currently gets 60-64 mpg on my 30 mile drive to work. I would expect the new TDI's to be more efficient and expect in a new Fabia get 10 mpg more than I currently car. We are considering buying a new TDI Fabia the 1.6 TDI.

Hudd
Old Mar 29th 2013, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by huddm
Dunroving

The best I have achieved out of my 1.9 TDI Fabia is 74 mpg and that is for a 10 year old car. I currently gets 60-64 mpg on my 30 mile drive to work. I would expect the new TDI's to be more efficient and expect in a new Fabia get 10 mpg more than I currently car. We are considering buying a new TDI Fabia the 1.6 TDI.

Hudd
70+ is unbelievable mileage! My car in the US gets 21 mpg. Is 70+ typical of UK cars?
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:02 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by windsong
70+ is unbelievable mileage! My car in the US gets 21 mpg. Is 70+ typical of UK cars?
No - mixed use mileage is typically about 40-50mpg for a small to mid-sized petrol engine and 50-60 mpg for a small to mid-sized diesel. Also, note that independent tests usually show true mileage is about 80-90 % of the manufacturers' advertised mileage.

Bear in mind also that a UK gallon is larger than a US gallon so UK cars appear to have a slightly higher mpg for that reason.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

No - mixed use mileage is typically about 40-50mpg for a small to mid-sized petrol engine and 50-60 mpg for a small to mid-sized diesel. Also, note that independent tests usually show true mileage is about 80-90 % of the manufacturers' advertised mileage.

Bear in mind also that a UK gallon is larger than a US gallon so UK cars appear to have a slightly higher mpg for that reason.
Gosh, I completely forgot about the difference in gallon size. That also makes the petrol a little less expensive in the UK when trying to compare gallons to gallons
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

My journey is not a stop start journey like you get if you lived in a built up urban area(city). I would agree with you that I would expect to see around the 50-60 mpg in city/highway driving. Living in SE Kent the roads/motorway are not that busy, so that why I can sometimes get over 65 mpg on a good day.

hudd

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.