British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Jobs in the Bag What Car ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/jobs-bag-what-car-788437/)

vikingsail Feb 23rd 2013 4:43 pm

Jobs in the Bag What Car ?

Yes that right got a job now I need to consider a car. Jeremy Clarkson types need not apply. I long ago dispensed with the need to travel fast - as a friend who used to fly Marine jets (F1-11's) but drove a battered family wagon full of kids around town used to say - if I feel the need for speed I go to work and press a button to travel more than 100mph:rofl:

So what car? On recent visits I have been taken by the little Hyundai's, I think the i20. I have driven them quite a lot in the UK? My price range as well. Not a particular fan of the F. Focus but I know it is a practical choice. I could go crazy and buy myself a little Bimmer since I drive an old 18 year one here and yes it has served me well for 18 years! Besides I think my next BMW willl be a toy with 2 wheels. I really am conscious of petrol mpg.

Please advise :)

lf1 Feb 23rd 2013 4:48 pm

Re: Jobs in the Bag What Car ?

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 10564170)
Yes that right got a job now I need to consider a car. Jeremy Clarkson types need not apply. I long ago dispensed with the need to travel fast - as a friend who used to fly Marine jets (F1-11's) but drove a battered family wagon full of kids around town used to say - if I feel the need for speed I go to work and press a button to travel more than 100mph:rofl:

So what car? On recent visits I have been taken by the little Hyundai's, I think the i20. I have driven them quite a lot in the UK? My price range as well. Not a particular fan of the F. Focus but I know it is a practical choice. I could go crazy and buy myself a little Bimmer since I drive an old 18 year one here and yes it has served me well for 18 years! Besides I think my next BMW willl be a toy with 2 wheels. I really am conscious of petrol mpg.

Here you go, this link should keep you out of trouble for a while

http://www.whatcar.com/

Happy shopping. Sorry I can't give you an informed personal opinion, but I don't know too much about cars.:)

dunroving Feb 23rd 2013 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 10564170)

Youo could do a lot worse than the Skoda Fabia; Kia Cee'd gets good reviews.

Check car insurance group, MPG, and road tax on any car you're interested in by pulling it up on Auto Trader. I was surprisd at what a difference there is between cars you might think are similar - also, within the same make and model, you can find big differences between the various trim levels and engine types. When I was looking for a "new" car, I put an Excel spreadsheet together to help me compare the many cars I was interested in, at a glance.

Are you looking for a "car" (saloon, hatchback, estate)? Or maybe a mini-people carrier? If the latter, a Citroen C3 Picasso might suit your needs, or a Nissan Note. Engine-wise, a good balance between power, efficiency (MPG) and emmisisons (think low road tax) would be something like a 1.6 diesel (TDI).

huddm Feb 23rd 2013 8:08 pm

Please advise :)[/QUOTE]

Hi

My Dad has a Hyundai i20, which he found he had to replace a oil seal associated with the gearbox. He said it was good value, but not sure on its reliability.

My father in-law has a Focus Ghia, which he had from new. He spent quite a bit on repairs in the last 5 years.

We have 2 Skoda's. I brought my wife a Fabia 1.9 TDI estate 7 years ago. We so far have put 175K miles it it. It averages 60 mpg. Running and repair costs are very low. I am using it a commuter car at present and then I give it to my 17 year old when he passes his test. We would consider a new Fabia next year.

We also have an Octavia Scout (4x4) which came fully loaded for £23K. It still manages close to 50 mpg on a run.

Hudd

Homeiswheretheheartis Feb 23rd 2013 8:40 pm

Double check the road tax on any car you get. Cars that emit 119g/km of CO2 have road tax of £35 per or you can pay over £200 for others.

Mummy in the foothills Feb 23rd 2013 9:30 pm

Dh is a mechanic and says stay away from ford focus (in US anyway on going trouble)
His #1 choice is Toyota
followed closely by Honda then Hyundai (in UK)
Although he does like our sons Vauxhall Corsa.

vikingsail Feb 23rd 2013 9:53 pm

Thanks for the input so far. Yes Skoda was another possibility I was thinking of just the price tag is not what I want to be at. But I suppose a one or two year old as long as not a former taxi. I like the 60mpg and I am tall 6' 4" so the extra size would help.

dunroving Feb 23rd 2013 9:58 pm

As a former Subaru driver (it faded away last January, which is why I bought the Skoda), I'd say stay away from them unless you like paying big repair bills. It was enjoyable to drive (great transmission) and saved me in two snowstorms, but every time I had to take it to the garage, my heart sank.

Another vote also for Toyotas and Hondas for great reliability.

If you are looking to buy new, Skoda seems to have regular 20% off/VAT-free sales. You can get a really nicely kitted out Skoda Fabia estate (1.6 TDi, 105 BHP) for about £12k.

vikingsail Feb 23rd 2013 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving (Post 10564652)
As a former Subaru driver (it faded away last January, which is why I bought the Skoda), I'd say stay away from them unless you like paying big repair bills. It was enjoyable to drive (great transmission) and saved me in two snowstorms, but every time I had to take it to the garage, my heart sank.

Another vote also for Toyotas and Hondas for great reliability.

If you are looking to buy new, Skoda seems to have regular 20% off/VAT-free sales. You can get a really nicely kitted out Skoda Fabia estate (1.6 TDi, 105 BHP) for about £12k.

Now that is more my price range. I just could not stomach paying 23K for a car 12K I can rationalize to myself if I going to get longevity. Thanks for the tip I will definitely put it in my pocket.

dunroving Feb 23rd 2013 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 10564643)
Thanks for the input so far. Yes Skoda was another possibility I was thinking of just the price tag is not what I want to be at. But I suppose a one or two year old as long as not a former taxi. I like the 60mpg and I am tall 6' 4" so the extra size would help.

Skodas are relatively inexpensive compared to, say Volkswagen and many of their other competitors. Sign up for email alerts of their special sales.

dunroving Feb 23rd 2013 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by vikingsail (Post 10564654)
Now that is more my price range. I just could not stomach paying 23K for a car 12K I can rationalize to myself if I going to get longevity. Thanks for the tip I will definitely put it in my pocket.

I almost bought a brand new Skoda Fabia Estate, Scout trim, 1.6 TDi, heated seats, various extras, and it was around £12k ... but then I found out it would take weeks to come in (up to 16 weeks actually). I couldn't wait that long because my Scooby had a loose weheel bearing (means your wheel could fall off any day) and I just didn't want to spend more money on it just for a few weeks. So I bought a 2004 1.4 petrol Fabia hatchback. Not exactly my style, but my little "Fabby" does me fine for now, and the 40+ mpg is double what I was gettng from the Scooby.

Also, Motorpoint are very good for picking up nearly new cars at knockdown prices - but they don't seem to have many units of certain cars.

happyglow Feb 23rd 2013 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills (Post 10564622)
Dh is a mechanic and says stay away from ford focus (in US anyway on going trouble)
His #1 choice is Toyota
followed closely by Honda then Hyundai (in UK)
Although he does like our sons Vauxhall Corsa.

I <3 Toyota. In a lifetime of motoring, so far, touch wood, they have never once let me down, however old and abused.

I'll be going car shopping in April when I get back to the UK, and I'll eat my fluffy dice ;) if it isn't a Toyota. Something like a few-years-old corolla hatchback would do nicely for me n pooch, preferably cheap enough that I can just bung it on the credit card, park it anywhere and not worry about it :thumbup:

Mummy in the foothills Feb 23rd 2013 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by happyglow (Post 10564671)
I <3 Toyota. In a lifetime of motoring, so far, touch wood, they have never once let me down, however old and abused.

I'll be going car shopping in April when I get back to the UK, and I'll eat my fluffy dice ;) if it isn't a Toyota. Something like a few-years-old corolla hatchback would do nicely for me n pooch, preferably cheap enough that I can just bung it on the credit card, park it anywhere and not worry about it :thumbup:

Sounds very much like us, we'll get something older and he maintains them so no problem. I miss my old Toyota Corolla Ds was hit while driving it and it was totaled. :(

Karrie72 Feb 24th 2013 1:57 am

Possibly a stupid question but do you really need a car? I can't wait to ditch my when I go back and walk, bike, use buses etc.
Congratulations on the job btw, that's fantastic. Where will you be living?

quoll Feb 24th 2013 6:12 am

Well done on the job!

I'm very happy with my Astra diesel 1.9 sport - it didnt cost an arm and a leg either but has done a lot of miles.

My dad is over the moon with his Mercedes A200 which was a bit cheaper but has done fewer miles - both under £5k.

I was hoping for a Fiesta when I came over as I had had one in Aus but the Astra said "buy me" and Im glad I did.