Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Job offer fallen through - any Job Seekers Allowance implications?

Wikiposts

Job offer fallen through - any Job Seekers Allowance implications?

Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

Clare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really nice
Default Job offer fallen through - any Job Seekers Allowance implications?

I've recently had a job offer from America which had been pending over the last few weeks so I'd told the job centre about it (when they asked me what I'd been doing to look for work). The problem is now the job has basically fallen through because of a misunderstanding between myself and my prospective employer. Because I drew attention to an immigration problem relating to my offer letter, the woman who would be my supervisor is hinting that she isn't happy about appointing me anymore, and is also hassling me about some unpaid work which I regret I had agreed to do (indicating that the job would probably be a nightmare)..I obviously cannot relocate to the USA in these circumstances. I am assuming the job centre people who I told about the job can't say I should have taken the job??? In other words, my benefits can't possibly be in jeopardy?? Can they?? Any thoughts on this situation would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 4:02 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer fallen through - any Job Seekers Allowance implications?

Originally Posted by Clare37
I've recently had a job offer from America which had been pending over the last few weeks so I'd told the job centre about it (when they asked me what I'd been doing to look for work). The problem is now the job has basically fallen through because of a misunderstanding between myself and my prospective employer. Because I drew attention to an immigration problem relating to my offer letter, the woman who would be my supervisor is hinting that she isn't happy about appointing me anymore, and is also hassling me about some unpaid work which I regret I had agreed to do (indicating that the job would probably be a nightmare)..I obviously cannot relocate to the USA in these circumstances. I am assuming the job centre people who I told about the job can't say I should have taken the job??? In other words, my benefits can't possibly be in jeopardy?? Can they?? Any thoughts on this situation would be much appreciated. Thanks.

I have no experience or knowledge about any kind of unemployment benefit, but as no-one seems to be answering thought I'd give my inexpert opinion and support.

It seems that the reason you didn't get the job is due to circumstances beyond your control, in which case surely you're all right. But, I expect that as with all these types of things, documentation/evidence will be important. Print off all your email communications and if there's anything that was dealt with by phone, I'd make a follow-up email to the US employer, documenting everything that has happened and asking him/her to confirm for you via email reply.
Old Sep 29th 2007, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Clare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really niceClare37 is just really nice
Default Re: Job offer fallen through - any Job Seekers Allowance implications?

Originally Posted by dunroving
I have no experience or knowledge about any kind of unemployment benefit, but as no-one seems to be answering thought I'd give my inexpert opinion and support.

It seems that the reason you didn't get the job is due to circumstances beyond your control, in which case surely you're all right. But, I expect that as with all these types of things, documentation/evidence will be important. Print off all your email communications and if there's anything that was dealt with by phone, I'd make a follow-up email to the US employer, documenting everything that has happened and asking him/her to confirm for you via email reply.
Thanks.