Jitters

Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:20 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jitters

Originally Posted by SarahInTX
All I know is that when I moved to the US, I was 30 years younger, and was going on an adventure. We came here with no money and a couple of suitcases, but with every confidence and no trepidation. We were planning to be here only two years (ex-hub's post doc), but we ended up staying here.

Now, when I think about going back, I'm older and (in some ways) wiser. I'm more fearful of the possibilities and uncertainties (will I get a job; will I be able to afford the bills?) I'm "comfortable" with what I've got in the US, and I don't know what I'll face in the UK.

Going back, for me, presents a lot more unknowns than when I came here -- even though it SHOULD be the other way around, surely!? -- because when I came here I didn't even think about them.

Sarah in TX
I would feel just like you Sarah...I think its just a normal thing you go through anyway when you 'grow up'...its made harder by moving around...
Time was my biggest worry was would I have a few pounds for petrol in the car so us girls could take the kids out for a picnic...I must of had bigger worries...but being young you don't think beyond next week....now I'm always thinking ahead....I hate the words 'what if.'..
Old Jul 20th 2007, 1:47 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kath & Graham
Now we are really going back to the UK I feel a bit jittery !! I know what we are going back to and why, but then sometimes Im driving round looking at things thinking "Do I really wanna go home?". I know I do, but why is this?

Does anyone else feel like it, is it normal? I keep thinking cos the whole thing is dragging out with selling this bloody house its taking forever!!!, dont get me wrong I know deep down I wanna go home, but leaving my daughter here and the few good friends I have made, makes me sad....All very stressful and I know it wont change here, we cant seem to move forward with our lives. A couple we've known for years everything has dropped into place for them, and a few other couples we know, I feel very resentful that it hasnt happened for us, people keep saying wait a few more years but really I cant see it happening. My OH has a really brill job here, but the wages are low, we never get anytime together (hes always working), nothing has changed in fact its even harder here than it was in UK...BUT I still feel sad......Why??

A fed up Kath

Don't be fed up Kath - it's all perfectly normal and things do settle down.

It's bad enough moving across town - moving across the world no matter how much you want it is bound to bring on unexpected feelings.

Once you are home I'm sure that things will all fall into place for you.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 2:06 am
Forum Regular

lil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nicelil_ol_wine_drinker_me is just really nice

Now we are really going back to the UK I feel a bit jittery !! I know what we are going back to and why, but then sometimes Im driving round looking at things thinking "Do I really wanna go home?". I know I do, but why is this?

Does anyone else feel like it, is it normal? I keep thinking cos the whole thing is dragging out with selling this bloody house its taking forever!!!, dont get me wrong I know deep down I wanna go home, but leaving my daughter here and the few good friends I have made, makes me sad....All very stressful and I know it wont change here, we cant seem to move forward with our lives. A couple we've known for years everything has dropped into place for them, and a few other couples we know, I feel very resentful that it hasnt happened for us, people keep saying wait a few more years but really I cant see it happening. My OH has a really brill job here, but the wages are low, we never get anytime together (hes always working), nothing has changed in fact its even harder here than it was in UK...BUT I still feel sad......Why??

A fed up Kath
Oh Kath, I feel like a hamster trapped on a bloody wheel, running like mad one way then turning round & running the other, I think it is normal to feel sad that things havent turned out as planned, though take note some folk will put on a happy smiley face and tell you to your face they love it here & life is great, sometimes they tell you too often & I wonder if they are trying to convince themselves or us! I have friends who love it here & have found their place in life, I am happy for them & will love receiving pics from them and xmas cards with kangaroos on for years to come.

Look on the bright side, if you change your mind when you get there you can get back & try not to stress.
Old Jul 21st 2007, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - it makes me feel oo much happier to know we are all feeling the same (thank God)..
Old Jul 21st 2007, 11:13 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I still have the colly-wobbles, despite all that it has taken for me to be able to leave this place. I hated BC from day 1 and really don't like it now (bet it would beat Perth on the boredom scale)....but....leaving Canada again is so final. I am/was a ping ponger, and the last stretch out here has been twelve looooong years. My kids are Canadian in their ways so I wonder if I am doing the right thing for them, then look at the eldest two and realise that of course I am. I think. When my house sale fell through at the last minute a while back, I felt relieved, which really confused me. OK, head for the Guinness and a deep thinking session tonight...
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 6:23 am

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

A fed up Kath

Hi you two, just popped in to say hi, and hope you are getting things sorted,
you have some nice posts on here and you are bound to feel mixed feelings. Im sure if you listen to your heart you are doing the right thing for you,its so natural to feel sad.You will look back at your experiances and think did we really do all that.Keep strong and a great sense of humour
Old Jul 27th 2007, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

gettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant futuregettingthere has a brilliant future

its normal to have some jitters I moved back 10 years ago and then earlier in the year nearly left again. Without a long drawn out story I am staying in the UK and today had the house to myself and thought how damn lucky I am , OK the weathers awful but I have true friends here and family and a job and a home, currently am living on very little money after a few ups and downs but know what its do able. Cant see me leaving again, the schools are good here despite what some people think and there are career/job opportunities if prepared to work for it, the biggest negative is house prices have rocketed. I wish you well and remember that its all only a plane flight away.

Good luck and welcome home
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:08 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kath

I can relate a little to how you feel, although my return has turned out to be a lot more speedy than i thought it would be so i havent had that long period of dwelling on it.
I do keep looking at things and places thinking this will be the last time i see it etc. But in all honesty, i am now at the point where i just want to get out of here and get home.

Hubby will be here till December on his own and we have just moved him into a one bedroom unit to save on costs, so that has also kept us busy and taken my mind off what i am about to do!!!

It is very scary moving back, but as osmeone else said, when we came over here, we had no past experience and still did it. Surely going back to somewhere we are already familiar with must be easier??! Well, i am hoping so anyhow.

Big hugs to you.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hi Kath

I can relate a little to how you feel, although my return has turned out to be a lot more speedy than i thought it would be so i havent had that long period of dwelling on it.
I do keep looking at things and places thinking this will be the last time i see it etc. But in all honesty, i am now at the point where i just want to get out of here and get home.

Hubby will be here till December on his own and we have just moved him into a one bedroom unit to save on costs, so that has also kept us busy and taken my mind off what i am about to do!!!

It is very scary moving back, but as osmeone else said, when we came over here, we had no past experience and still did it. Surely going back to somewhere we are already familiar with must be easier??! Well, i am hoping so anyhow.

Big hugs to you.
Thanks and safe jounrey back to UK for you, keep us posted !!!

Kath