Jetpets

Old Nov 8th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

pukka pom will become famous soon enoughpukka pom will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Jetpets

We are shipping 3 parrots with Dogtainers from Brisbane, I started the process with Jetpets but found them unhelpful in a very complicated process, soooo much paperwork, would be easier to ship a pack of wolves!! Jetpets told me I had to fly with them on either a Quantas or Malaysian flight, Dogtainers are currently looking into it for me. Gemma at dogainers has so far been brilliant and very helpful.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 3:05 am
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

Be warned if using air canada - they do not have their own cargo receiving point for animals and use a third party company meaning you will be stung with extra charges when you land (I was quoted at £350 or so).

British Airways is going to do our pet transport. I am arranging the transport of three cats myself and it's surprisingly easy so far *touches wood* They have been extremely helpful and accommodating thus far.

Also when I called Air canada I was told to "ignore the embargo stuff" as that no longer applied...?! Slightly sketchy...
Old Nov 9th 2010, 7:23 am
Just Joined

postman62 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just used Air Canada to fly my dog back to the UK from Canada 3 weeks ago and really couldn't fault the service they provided. The cargo company they use is James Cargo, who were brilliant and got in touch with me as soon as I booked the flight and were only too happy to answer any questions I had. The extra 310 pounds I paid on top of the price of the flight was for the DEFRA fee when she arrived in Heathrow. I would definitely recommend Air Canada and wouldn't hesitate to use them again if I ever returned to Canada (which I definitely won't be!!!!!!!)
Old Nov 10th 2010, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

HurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud ofHurricaneHayles has much to be proud of

The DEFRA fee is included in the price of BA and they are infinitely cheaper ($1500 quoted for all three cats compared to nearly $2000 with Air Canada not including the fee when collected).

All I am saying is shop around and see what is on offer. Money is often a big factor when moving back... I have no complaints with Air Canada - we moved our cats here using them and they were very good on the whole but with my moving back experience to date, BA have by far been the most helpful, cheapest and most willing to go that extra mile for us.
Old Nov 10th 2010, 10:49 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

I have just been able to get back on line and with a borrowed computer I can contribute to this thread.
I will however once time is permitting start a new thread on our experiences.
Briefly I have recently returned with 9 dogs from Canada,via Toronto to Heathrow. The cats and parrots fly shortly with the spouse.
Any parrot does unfortunately have to fly accompanied, and I agree the paperwork is horrendous, but what can you do, but comply
O>K> we flew the dogs with B>A as much cheaper than Air Canada...however on the last 4 dogs to fly the flight was cancelled Essentially what happened was OH drove to Toronto, about 2 and a half hours drive, presented at cargo, which is an open ended affair, having no contained areas to present your dogs. A picture is required by the side of the carrier box to ensure the dog meets the IATA regulations. Dogs have bolted in the past but no lessons clearly learnt from it as the procedure remains the same and in exactly the same conditions.
Anyhow OH drove back to our home in Canada only to get a phone call some 10 minutes after arrival that he had to return as the flight had been cancelled So he drives back to Toronto, and is advised to present the dogs the following day.
The next day one of the dogs, who is an old dog and dysplastic cannot walk, so my OH phones BA at Toronto to advise one of the dogs cannot fly, as indeed she is unfit to fly. He was advised at this point that as a fit to fly by a vet had been received, if the dog did not fly then the whole shipment, ie our other 3 dogs could not fly ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE We then would the have to be recharged for the entire 'shipment'! OH now presented with a sophies choice scenario, and decided that indeed he had no choice but to fly her, and so regrettably she was flown She presented at Heathrow unable to walk unaided and was assisted to walk with a blanket supported under her belly. The cost of euthanasia I was informed was £220 as opposed to $65 in Canada.
I am currently aattempting to liase with BA customer relations in chicago....attempting is the correct word in as clearly a change in their policy needs to occur. Apparently paperwork takes precedence over welfare
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:51 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welsh Heart
We will be returning to the UK mid next year with our 2 year old labrador who weighs about 35Kgs. We are still at the early stages of looking in to pet shipping and am wondering if anyone has moved a dog recently and who you used and what type of dog/price etc.

Our vet who is administering the rabies shot tells us we must use Qantas and must fly into Heathrow, is this accurate?

Roll on landing back in the UK next summer.
I also think Emirates take pets...Aus via Dubai......
Old Nov 17th 2010, 5:44 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sunshine Girl
I have just been able to get back on line and with a borrowed computer I can contribute to this thread.
I will however once time is permitting start a new thread on our experiences.
Briefly I have recently returned with 9 dogs from Canada,via Toronto to Heathrow. The cats and parrots fly shortly with the spouse.
Any parrot does unfortunately have to fly accompanied, and I agree the paperwork is horrendous, but what can you do, but comply
O>K> we flew the dogs with B>A as much cheaper than Air Canada...however on the last 4 dogs to fly the flight was cancelled Essentially what happened was OH drove to Toronto, about 2 and a half hours drive, presented at cargo, which is an open ended affair, having no contained areas to present your dogs. A picture is required by the side of the carrier box to ensure the dog meets the IATA regulations. Dogs have bolted in the past but no lessons clearly learnt from it as the procedure remains the same and in exactly the same conditions.
Anyhow OH drove back to our home in Canada only to get a phone call some 10 minutes after arrival that he had to return as the flight had been cancelled So he drives back to Toronto, and is advised to present the dogs the following day.
The next day one of the dogs, who is an old dog and dysplastic cannot walk, so my OH phones BA at Toronto to advise one of the dogs cannot fly, as indeed she is unfit to fly. He was advised at this point that as a fit to fly by a vet had been received, if the dog did not fly then the whole shipment, ie our other 3 dogs could not fly ABSOLUTELY UNBELIEVABLE We then would the have to be recharged for the entire 'shipment'! OH now presented with a sophies choice scenario, and decided that indeed he had no choice but to fly her, and so regrettably she was flown She presented at Heathrow unable to walk unaided and was assisted to walk with a blanket supported under her belly. The cost of euthanasia I was informed was £220 as opposed to $65 in Canada.
I am currently aattempting to liase with BA customer relations in chicago....attempting is the correct word in as clearly a change in their policy needs to occur. Apparently paperwork takes precedence over welfare
How awful - how old was your dog?
Old Nov 18th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

jazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond reputejazzys has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone tell me the procedure as far as injections is concerned for shipping a dog from brisbane to the uk.

She's had her first rabies shot, does she need anymore?

I know she has to have blood taken but are the results of the blood tests the thing that determines whether she needs a rabies booster or not?

Just wondering if the vet is trying to pull the wool over our eyes

Jazzys
Old Nov 18th 2010, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

a normal rabies vaccination is valid for three years (check expiry date on the vet records), no need for another one before that expires unless...(see below)

once vaccinated (and of course microchipped before that) you have to wait about 30 days before your vet takes a blood sample which has to be sent to a UK DEFRA approved laboratory for the rabies titre test. If the vaccination is shown to be effective then your six-month wait before being able to enter UK begins from the date the blood sample was taken by the vet. Sometimes the vaccination does not work and so you go back to step one; new vaccination is given, 30-day wit etc.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zednought
I'm assuming that you're taking your dog back under the PETS scheme. If this is the case there are only certain routes and carriers you can use. DEFRA controls where and who these are, you can find the list here. This document is pretty up to date and was last revised on 14 October 2010.

Based on this list and assuming, for example, you are departing from Sydney and destined for Gatwick the only airline you can use currently is Emirates Skycargo.
I see there are no flights into Edinburgh. I could go to Heathrow and get the pets up to Scotland (if that's where I end up - could be Somerset). Can you take pets on the train in Britain? I have two little dogs and two cats.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 4:40 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I see there are no flights into Edinburgh. I could go to Heathrow and get the pets up to Scotland (if that's where I end up - could be Somerset). Can you take pets on the train in Britain? I have two little dogs and two cats.
Where are you coming from and why Edinburgh? just curious - may do the same soon!
Old Nov 28th 2010, 5:21 am
Greetings Traveller

JustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to allJustBecause is a name known to all

Originally Posted by john5655
a normal rabies vaccination is valid for three years (check expiry date on the vet records), no need for another one before that expires unless...
Hmm, is this for dogs only? We were asvised to have an annual rabies for our cats.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

cats and dogs are the same (I brought my dog and two cats to UK six weeks ago)

but I understand there are some one-year vaccines

why bother with that, insist on three-year vaccines

but then again, once in the UK you may not need to travel again with a cat, more likely with a dog (holidays in Europe etc) so the three-year rabies vaccination may not be an issue

Last edited by john5655; Nov 28th 2010 at 11:26 am.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Where are you coming from and why Edinburgh? just curious - may do the same soon!
I am giving myself two years of researching and planning. I will be going alone and back to the UK where I have no family, but it's home. I need to save hard and go well prepared.

If I win the lottery (ha! ha!), it will be within six months or as long as it takes me to prepare the pets, make all arrangements, find somewhere to live over there and wrap things up here.