Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

I've never been to Australia

I've never been to Australia

Old Nov 16th 2011, 3:44 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I've never been to Australia

Originally Posted by md95065
Given that essentially all cathedrals through the 19th century and even beyond were constructed out of stone that was cut and shaped by hand that really doesn't seem that remarkable in the annals of cathedral construction ...
Well, brick was a favourite material for 19th century & 20th century churches. Guildford Cathedral (completed 1966) is brick, as is St. Andrew's Cathedral (Victoria, British Columbia) which I believe was built in the 1890s .. just to name a couple of examples. So I'm not sure about your assertion about stone..?
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:03 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

No interest in the place what so ever, though both my brother and sister were born there and my folks used to live there for a few years, donkeys back. Not in Perth though.

Saying that, I also didn't have any interest in moving to the US either, it just sort of happened.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Well, brick was a favourite material for 19th century & 20th century churches.
My original remark was ...
through the 19th century and even beyond
... so, yes, by the 20th century brick was being used for cathedrals such as the ones you mention, but stone was also still used for some major edifices such as Liverpool, St John the Divine in New York and Grace in San Francisco.

Certainly lots of 19th century churches were built in brick but I am having a hard time thinking of another 19th century cathedral built that way unless you count Westminster which wasn't started until 1895.

My real point was that, given the amazing feats of construction which have produced cathedrals over the last 600 years or so we shouldn't really be too surprised or amazed by the effort that went into building the one in Perth.

Now the guys who built Chartres really had their work cut out for them
Old Nov 16th 2011, 5:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

the 19th century and even beyond ...
for 19th century & 20th century churches.
Isn't "the 19th century and beyond" the same thing as "the 19th & 20th century" ? (leaving aside the first decade of the 21st century.)
Old Nov 16th 2011, 9:52 pm
Account Closed

Squirrel is an unknown quantity at this point

As the song goes, "Hobart Tasmania, that's my wonderful town."

OT but how come the Aussies won't let any other country have platypus's for their zoos? I'd have thought that given it is the most unique mammal in the world, it would be important to have several breeding colonies around the world so that if an endemic disease like the one Tasmanian Devils are getting (the facial tumour one) decimated the Oz population, we could save this amazing species. I know they might not do long journeys very well but I'm sure they could get a few to New Zealand.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:06 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Wait, wait, wait. Robin, before anyone wastes their time talking to you about Australia.....what visa are you going to use to get in to Australia. It's just that well....lots of people see Skippy and think, "right I'm off to Oz". Sort your visa out and then come back and ask questions.
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:32 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1chumly

Not quite sure about Sheila though. I wonder what Bruce is like?!
The Sheilas tend to be much like the Bruces (but not vice-versa).

In my experience
Old Nov 16th 2011, 10:35 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
I'd like to visit Australia, but I have no desire to live there, especially Perth.

I was waiting for one of you guys to suggest a poll similar to the 'is Houston shit or not' poll we had, except it should be 'is Perth boring or not'?
I take exception to that. I think that having a poll to determine whether a place that most of us have never been resembles excrement (or not), typifies all that is wrong with BE and it is both harsh and shark-worthy.

People should be banned for things like that, or at least chastised heavily by people whose IQ is less than their post count.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:05 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

I have.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't "the 19th century and beyond" the same thing as "the 19th & 20th century" ? (leaving aside the first decade of the 21st century.)
No - the "the 19th century and beyond" might only extend as far as 1901 ...
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:51 am
Heading for Poppyland

No - the "the 19th century and beyond" might only extend as far as 1901 ...
OK, fair enough!
Old Nov 17th 2011, 1:57 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Wait, wait, wait. Robin, before anyone wastes their time talking to you about Australia.....what visa are you going to use to get in to Australia. It's just that well....lots of people see Skippy and think, "right I'm off to Oz". Sort your visa out and then come back and ask questions.
Yes you are right. Is there a search function?
Old Nov 17th 2011, 11:34 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are right. Is there a search function?
There is. You may struggle finding any threads about Perth though, doesn't get mentioned very often.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 11:37 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
There is. You may struggle finding any threads about Perth though, doesn't get mentioned very often.
Old Nov 17th 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by DeadVim
The Sheilas tend to be much like the Bruces (but not vice-versa).

In my experience
Having never been to Australia I have no idea but I think I would steer clear of this particular Sheila. I just wonder if her husband is long-suffering or if he is just the same.

Last edited by 1chumly; Nov 17th 2011 at 12:40 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.