It's True!

Old Feb 25th 2004, 9:39 am
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

LOL. I love these kind of threads.

My favorite one...
A fellow mum volenteering at our local school was talking about a Russian adult student she has in her evening high school diploma class.
She said " I was shocked to find out that he speaks another language. I asked him to say something in his own language, and it was all gobbledegook to me, couldn't understand any of it. So, I guess they really must talk in a different language. I just thought they spoke english with a funny accent."
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:14 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

I was told the other day that my Irish accent was brilliant !!

"I'am from Nottingham, the middle of England"I explained (!)

I do find it strange that I know where most cities are and I'am not the best person at Geography! but most Aussie (I've spoken to) seem to have no idea where London is in relation to other cities in the UK?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:43 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

jat is an unknown quantity at this point

ive had - 'have you been on a plane before'
Old Feb 25th 2004, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Aussie men seem to love the idea of being seen as rough, tough blokes that spend their working day in the country; when the reality is most live in cities/towns and work in offices and factories.

But the myth still lives - just witness the car adverts where a man's virility is tied to the toughness of his ute, or the size of his roo bars (a "must have" for the weekly trip to the supermarket ).

On my first trip in to a Sydney car lot, I remember looking with horror at this huge, V8, supercharged monstrosity. The Aussie 2nd-hand car salesman swaggered over to me, looked me up and down and in a gruff voice said:

"The thing is - are you man enough for a car like this?"

So I answered "Obviously not!"

And he was speechless...
Old Feb 25th 2004, 12:01 pm
jat
BE Enthusiast

recently i helped friends move into their new house (they were overseas at time) and the removalist guys came in.....

one of the windows was open and needed locking (old style house) and i didnt want to leave it open whilst nobody was there....

so i asked him if he could help me close it as it was really hard to move...

he said 'streeewwwwwwwwth mate its out by a country mile' - i swear to god i had to leave the room for laughing... needless to say he couldnt budge the window - so i got up done it mself in the end!
Old Feb 25th 2004, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Alexandra is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
LOL. I love these kind of threads.

My favorite one...
A fellow mum volenteering at our local school was talking about a Russian adult student she has in her evening high school diploma class.
She said " I was shocked to find out that he speaks another language. I asked him to say something in his own language, and it was all gobbledegook to me, couldn't understand any of it. So, I guess they really must talk in a different language. I just thought they spoke english with a funny accent."

I find it hilarious because I am Russian. It was quite hysterical in Canada when people would ask us where we are from. We'd say that we moved from UK, but I am originally Russian and my husband is originally Iranian. Then there'll be a long silence and then a question: how did you two manage to meet then? OK, on a long stretch, maybe, I don't know.... travelling? Some of us do travel you know. And then they'd say: did you travel out of Russia? Did you go on a plane?
Old Feb 25th 2004, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I can assure you that it is not just OZ. Since spending 8 months in the last year and a half in the US I have been asked/experienced:-

1.Do they teach American as a language in school?

2.Do y'all have lakes in England?

3.Whilst eating at a restaurant in Tennessee I was asked by the waitress (in a kind of hush hush manner) whether I had "heard anything" about the death of Princess Di. This women really thought that I used to occupy my homeland with ten or so others, the Royal Family and their servants.

4. I have seen an advert on a travel show which stated one of the most wonderful parts of England was Wales!

The conclusion-You are not alone in OZ!
Old Feb 26th 2004, 10:23 am
jat
BE Enthusiast

last night i was talking to a friend and i suggested that she go to london for a couple of years to work... she turned to me and says 'the british pound is worth jack shit these days' - !!!!!!!!