It's a sad day

Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:59 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's a sad day

well some of you may know that I moved to NZ last year. I have not settled at all, in fact have only got worse since. Our circumstances have not been good. We decided to return home but only if one of us managed to secure a job. That's where my lifeline came. My old job said they would take me back but I would have to have a Skype interview first. Today I recieved the news that my bosses boss has stated that it's not company policy to Skype interview due to the nature of the job.

The deadline for interviewing is next week and so we can't possibly make it home for then. My parents are travelling at the moment so cannot get in touch with them to ask if I could fly home and stay at their home. I can't afford to fly home then back here and I have a 5 year old to consider too. Now someone else will have to fill my position.

I cannot describe how I feel. I feel trapped on the wrong side of the world. I need a friend but don't have one. I need my sister too. This was my ticket out of here. We cannot afford to return home with no jobs lined up.

I'm not on here looking for sympathy I just need to know how to pick myself back up this time. I'm at the bottom already so I can't see a way out. Any suggestions guys would be appreciated.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's a sad day

So sorry to hear this, i can only imagine how it must feel. Given you have worked for them previously and they know your abilities is it worth pushing your old boss to see if he can persuade them. maybe he could schedule a telephone interview with his boss or a conference call so that you can at least sell yourself to him? I'm a big believer in if you want something you have to make it happen. You don't have anything to lose by being assertive and at least trying. if it doesn't work then don't give up on other job prospects that may be out there. If you can use your parents address then put it on your resume and maybe try to schedule a week when you can go back and interview for positions.

Don't give up! If you want to go home you will find a way! It may be a lot of hard work but it will be worth it in the end.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 12:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I concur. Be a bit pushy, pull in any favours you can and see what happens. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:21 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks both of you. I've emailed them to ask if they can delay the final interview date some how so I could go back. There are 4 interviews in total and I only needed to go to the final one with working there before. It's worth a try at least. if the answer is no then I'll have to let it go. It's too stressful.

I'm going to put my shades on and go for a walk with my daughter. Blow the cobwebs off!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:31 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I concur. Be a bit pushy, pull in any favours you can and see what happens. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Agree.

You are already tried and tested as far as the employer goes. Policy can be flexible .
Push for it .
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently Cheshire in UK but soon to be an Expat....
dfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud ofdfrbrowne has much to be proud of

I can understand how you feel, having just moved to the US and feeling unsettled and planning my return home. Things are quite good at home at the moment and confidence is coming back, If I was in your position and with bing much further from home I would think about going home and getting a job once back if at all possible. Happiness and feeling settled is the most important.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:58 am
Looking for my marbles.

It's just getting hubby to take the plunge and go back home with no jobs lined up. I'll see if I get a reply to my email in the morning.

I will also put a plan B together tonight.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:23 am
Forum Regular

britsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond reputebritsinnz has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Pippa, I feel for you all. Someone above mentioned asking for a conference call instead, that sounds like a good idea, push it a bit as it shows your tenacity and how much you want the job, that must surely be taken into account?

Don't let the dream die, could you and the little one go first and hubby stay and work for a bit? It's not easy but it's doable. Then you could look around for work in the UK with a bit of a safety net. I know you would have 2 lots of bills, but hubby could surely find just a bolt hole for a while to cut costs. There's always a way, sometimes when we're knocked back it's tough to see the wood for the trees, or bloody cicadas at the moment, but there is always a solution. hang on in there chuck, and rub those ruby slippers together 3 times whilst repeating after me, "there's no place like home". It will happen.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:35 am
Looking for my marbles.

Originally Posted by britsinnz
Oh Pippa, I feel for you all. Someone above mentioned asking for a conference call instead, that sounds like a good idea, push it a bit as it shows your tenacity and how much you want the job, that must surely be taken into account?

Don't let the dream die, could you and the little one go first and hubby stay and work for a bit? It's not easy but it's doable. Then you could look around for work in the UK with a bit of a safety net. I know you would have 2 lots of bills, but hubby could surely find just a bolt hole for a while to cut costs. There's always a way, sometimes when we're knocked back it's tough to see the wood for the trees, or bloody cicadas at the moment, but there is always a solution. hang on in there chuck, and rub those ruby slippers together 3 times whilst repeating after me, "there's no place like home". It will happen.
Thanks for making me smile.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add some for you. I always have the mantra that there's nothing a credit card and a passport wont cure when desperation strikes so maybe a flying visit might be a possibility for an interview when push comes to shove!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 7:49 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everyone else. "Not policy" to do Skype interviews? It's not the Stone Age, and you are in NZ for goodness' sake!

If you travelled for the interview, who paays? Not you, I hope!

Not worth getting angry about it b/c that will achieve nothing, but I agree that some mediation, compromise, whatever, is needed. Particularly if you already haveatrack record with them, Skype or other teleconference should be fine.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 9:24 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Pippa, i will respond to your pm tomorrow. i am so sorry to hear of your news. i know you were counting on that.i feel like others, you must push and not give up on it. it was evident when we met how tired you are(like us) of living in NZ. you must get out of here. when i see you i will do my best to give you that determination. NZ is a long way from home and there are far more opportunities for you back there than there are here. between you, there must be a way that you can make it work by going back. you are going to have to take a big risk though, just as we are. will PM you tomorrow.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond reputeMrMuffin has a reputation beyond repute

Take a deep breath and keep pushing!! Good luck!!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 5:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to add my encouragement too. I'm so sorry you have had this set back but as everyone else has said don't take no for an answer just yet.

I would do an email full of the "totally understand that under normal circumstances the company does not do skype interviews and certainly they are not ideal but . . . . ." and fill it in with all the stuff about why you feel you are a really uniquely strong candidate for the job with so much to offer the company and how whilst not wanting to be pushy you really, really would love to find a way to at least have a preliminary interview/chat by skype blah, blah, blah you know the sort of thing. Maybe suggest a telephone/skype chat and offer to then come for an in person interview if they are impressed with the telephone/skype interview.

I'm sorry I know how stressful this must all be, hang in there and keep pushing forward.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Thanks for making me smile.
Hi,
Sorry to hear the news. Don't give up though. You will just resent being in NZ all the more.
If this position falls through definitely think about going home with your daughter and putting her in school while you job hunt. Im sure with your skills something will soon turn up. Then your hubby can join you.
Its not ideal but my husband returned home with just our son and I was left in NZ for 6 months.

Good Luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.