Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It's really happening.....

It's really happening.....

Old Dec 12th 2010, 3:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's really happening.....

Originally Posted by rogerthat
If i moved from the UK which i intend to do soon i would never come back again in the last 10 or more years its gone down hill and gets worse every week.
Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Ah the cheery tones of a true Brit!

Never say never Roger. You haven't seen the alternatives yet
Thats what they all say. Crow doesn't taste too good I'm told.
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

No that is very true i haven't seen the alternatives perhaps in a few years i will think the UK is great
It wont take you that long!!!
Old Dec 12th 2010, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

If i moved from the UK which i intend to do soon i would never come back again in the last 10 or more years its gone down hill and gets worse every week.
so has every other country in the world believe me..the grass is definitely NOT greener..
Old Dec 12th 2010, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

We had exactly the same negative thoughts about the UK when we left. We had absolutely no intention of returning once we got our visa...........

After over 2 years in Australia, we realize just how much we took for granted about the UK and won't make that mistake again. It's like the old saying, "You don't know what you've got until it's gone".
Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:24 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even have a bad experience when I first moved. I left the UK thinking I would never return, and got on with my life.

At first I was really happy but as the years have gone by, I have realized that I left friends and family behind and that they are not replaceable. Yes there are people here, and yes you can befriend them, but they're not the people who grew up with you. They're not the ones who angsted with you through your teenage years. They're not the ones who were at your wedding. They're not the ones who know everything about you and love you anyway.

And then your parents start to get older, and you wish you were there to help them - and members of your family start getting sick and you're not able to visit them in hospital, and your friends' parents start dying and you're not able to get to the funerals, and it just goes on and on. The negatives starts outweighing the positives. You realize that the sunshine and the big house aren't worth much when you're lonely and you don't really fit in and you're constantly letting down the people who love you most.

That's when you start wishing you had just stayed put.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't even have a bad experience when I first moved. I left the UK thinking I would never return, and got on with my life.

At first I was really happy but as the years have gone by, I have realized that I left friends and family behind and that they are not replaceable. Yes there are people here, and yes you can befriend them, but they're not the people who grew up with you. They're not the ones who angsted with you through your teenage years. They're not the ones who were at your wedding. They're not the ones who know everything about you and love you anyway.

And then your parents start to get older, and you wish you were there to help them - and members of your family start getting sick and you're not able to visit them in hospital, and your friends' parents start dying and you're not able to get to the funerals, and it just goes on and on. The negatives starts outweighing the positives. You realize that the sunshine and the big house aren't worth much when you're lonely and you don't really fit in and you're constantly letting down the people who love you most.

I couldnt have said it better Sally, except to say that the person I left all that for turned out to be not worth anyone of them.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sally, a perfect post, says it all.
Old Dec 13th 2010, 10:10 am
aussie married to a brit!

chocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond reputechocciecake has a reputation beyond repute

yes, i remember saying "good riddance to bad rubbish" as our plane left the ground at heathrow, and 18 months later, we are heading back there...!
and i am aussie born!

there are good bits and bad bits to both places, but i am just pleased i have the right to live in both, so when one gets too annoying, i can head to the other...
australia is a huge rip off now, not good value as it once was, so we are going back to enjoy a more affordable life, in some of the lovely, but cheaper parts of the uk...
don't know how long we'll be there, but for now, it works for us!
Old Dec 13th 2010, 5:32 pm
Just Joined

rogerthat is an unknown quantity at this point

but we are not all the same for one i have no parents they both died a long time ago and i never see any family and have no friends because i am always moving around so never get home sick
Old Dec 13th 2010, 6:00 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

but we are not all the same for one i have no parents they both died a long time ago and i never see any family and have no friends because i am always moving around so never get home sick
Well then, I wish for lots of friends for you in your new life
Old Dec 14th 2010, 9:25 am
BE Forum Addict

dontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud ofdontheturner has much to be proud of

Well then, I wish for lots of friends for you in your new life
Sally, Shall you tell them or shall I? As long as they move to a country where they speak English , as otherwise, he/she will not really know whether they are real friends or not!

Oh well! Only 68 days to go ... dontheturner