Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

It's our choice at the end of the day?

It's our choice at the end of the day?

Old Feb 9th 2004, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by jat
cheers mike

thanks for that - thought i was the only one - until i came across this site last week - its stopped me questioning everything ive been thinking of for the last 3 years....

im so bored in oz i could get up and go tomorrow! and i forgot to mention - how many ozzies want to live over in europe/uk! they all do. you seem to have been here a while mike - is that correct? as a chartered accountant i find the opp so limited here that i feel like im going backward.... to buy a house here would be so hard - due to stamp duty etc etc... and you also need cash to go home if needs be so even on a high salary its not all easy..

and the ozzie men - dont even start me...! they cant stand a women with a mind of her own ! they just like 'yes women' - the amount of female friends who i do not envy cause of all the crap they put up with - and they still find a feeble excuse to stay with them - sorry im rambling on and on!

when do you head back mike?
and where to?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 8:31 am
Merlot

Default Friends!?

I didn't think this affected hubby & I but looking at it I think it has.

Two of my dearest friends here in Oz have moved (One to Darwin) the other to Queensland in March. So they don't count.

I have noticed a distinct cooling off with a couple of others that we used to do a fair bit with. Not sure if that is us, them or both of us putting up distance.

I am about 6 weeks away from England and having severe Island Fever. Dotty said about doing other things that we have not done before. We are doing that but time is running TOO SLOW!!!!

I feel like I have been sitting in a Airport waiting room for the last 6 months and it is getting boring, in fact I am bored with my life here.

It is rather funny as a couple we were mates with had their Oz visa run out in June last year. They had to return to the UK (with 6 month old son) and re-apply. Their stamp has come through and they are back at the end of Feb and so excited. I can't be excited for them but really try. They think we are mad as they have spent the last 8 motnhs in the UK and hated it. This is a classic example of people being so very different! They love the outdoor/sunshine life, I love outdoor/rain life!

Merlot

Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Friends!?

Originally posted by Merlot
I didn't think this affected hubby & I but looking at it I think it has.

Two of my dearest friends here in Oz have moved (One to Darwin) the other to Queensland in March. So they don't count.

I have noticed a distinct cooling off with a couple of others that we used to do a fair bit with. Not sure if that is us, them or both of us putting up distance.

I am about 6 weeks away from England and having severe Island Fever. Dotty said about doing other things that we have not done before. We are doing that but time is running TOO SLOW!!!!

I feel like I have been sitting in a Airport waiting room for the last 6 months and it is getting boring, in fact I am bored with my life here.

It is rather funny as a couple we were mates with had their Oz visa run out in June last year. They had to return to the UK (with 6 month old son) and re-apply. Their stamp has come through and they are back at the end of Feb and so excited. I can't be excited for them but really try. They think we are mad as they have spent the last 8 motnhs in the UK and hated it. This is a classic example of people being so very different! They love the outdoor/sunshine life, I love outdoor/rain life!

Merlot
Hey Merlot, 6 weeks will fly by, well compared to me there is no
way we will be out of here by July the earliest! Too complicated.

We set along the plan to enjoy our last 6 months being aussies, troulble is it has just hilighted how bored we are here Beach, blah, BBQs to thank friends blah, Plaza, thats the piddly excuse for shops here and now I cant even buy anthing cause its just more to pack. Looked up a thread on what to do in Brisbane and it struck us we had done all of that years ago. Even doing stuff we hate, just so we can say we did it I just want to go NOW, its murder
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:07 am
Merlot

Originally posted by dotty
Hey Merlot, 6 weeks will fly by, well compared to me there is no
way we will be out of here by July the earliest! Too complicated.

We set along the plan to enjoy our last 6 months being aussies, troulble is it has just hilighted how bored we are here Beach, blah, BBQs to thank friends blah, Plaza, thats the piddly excuse for shops here and now I cant even buy anthing cause its just more to pack. Looked up a thread on what to do in Brisbane and it struck us we had done all of that years ago. Even doing stuff we hate, just so we can say we did it I just want to go NOW, its murder
Oh so true, you always hit the nail on the head!!!

Yep, shops, it used to be a past time of mine as bugger all else to do (as piddly as they are, agree there too).

And yes like you unable to buy anything as more to pack - ekk! Get me out of here !!!!

I can't wait to go to Lewis's, M&S, Next, la de da ....... Merlot

:scared:

Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Merlot
Oh so true, you always hit the nail on the head!!!

Yep, shops, it used to be a past time of mine as bugger all else to do (as piddly as they are, agree there too).

And yes like you unable to buy anything as more to pack - ekk! Get me out of here !!!!

I can't wait to go to Lewis's, M&S, Next, la de da ....... Merlot

:scared:
Next is brill, and there is a new shop Zara, really more going out stuff, but so OMG compared to the made in china short and Tshirt fashion.. Top shop, all the nick nack stuff like bags and earings, just seeing people making an effort not looking like they fell out of an rag bag. My husband is concerned tho thinks I will turn compulsive.

Buy shoes in OZ tho, they were quite expensive in the UK especially leather ones
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:33 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Next is brill, and there is a new shop Zara, really more going out stuff, but so OMG compared to the made in china short and Tshirt fashion.. Top shop, all the nick nack stuff like bags and earings, just seeing people making an effort not looking like they fell out of an rag bag. My husband is concerned tho thinks I will turn compulsive.

Buy shoes in OZ tho, they were quite expensive in the UK especially leather ones
I try not to mention Zara to the Mrs as nothing here compares. Rumours are they might set up shop in Sydney.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
I try not to mention Zara to the Mrs as nothing here compares. Rumours are they might set up shop in Sydney.
Zara is part of the same group as Mango - they're both Spanish. Mango is already in Oz - trading as MNG, so highly likely perhaps that if MNG is there, Zara will follow.

Another one in the same group is Massimo Dutti - again shops all over Spain and have just arrived in UK - clothes are aimed at a slightly more upmarket crowd.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Dotty, you need to take a trip to Barcelona!! Mmmmm, bags and shoes......
Old Feb 9th 2004, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi Jane
I think I've told you this before but we got sick of people questionning our decisions to return - everyone in the UK told us we were mad to come back. Why? Most of them had never even been to Oz! They see a picture postcard and think that life is sunshine and BBQ, you only work 10 hours a week and still earn enought to buy a huge house with a pool!!

Don't let them get you down. I found it really hard at first - especially on this site - so many people desperate to have what I had (PR) yet I didn't really want it and I didn't fully understand why.

You are doing the right thing, you know that, and I will tell you, it's lovely to be back in the UK. So far the only thing I miss about Oz is my sister.

Keep your chin up, there are tons of people to support you here. Anyway, we should be organising a UK meet!

HP
p.s. I sent you a PM the other day.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

wilko_1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It's our choice at the end of the day?

Your definately not alone Janey!

I've been back 2 1/2 weeks now and I glad to be back! All my best friends are glad im back but other people tell me i must be mad to have come back! Needless to say, these people have never been to Perth!

I had exactly the same when I was in Perth, people telling me that they couldn't believe I rather live in England, that I was stupid and that Australia is the best country in the world. But i made up my own mind and done what makes me happy. I have no plans to ever return to Australia.

I accept that it's a dream for some people and it's a great life for them, but it certainly wasn't for me.

In a few months time, hopefully the questions will stop and all will be back to normal.

On a more positive note, I got a job today! First one I applied for back in England! That didnt happen in Australia! Took me 3 months and several dozen applications for menial work like trolley pushing to eventually get something! Luckily it wasn't as a trolley pusher, i was "too inexperienced" for that!

Take care

Wilko

Originally posted by janeyray
I have found since we told people that we are returning to the Uk I have less and less friends!!!

I had made some nice ones since arriving here but they seem to have stopped phoning so regularly and we don't see them as much, if at all!!

In one way I can understand. They probably think "why should I make the effort to stay friends when she won't be here much longer"? On the other hand I find it quite sad that the friendship was just based on my being here and in the same situation as them, a new migrant from the UK. My Aussie friend and a friend I made of this site are still the same, although upset at our departure I still get invites round for coffee. !!!

I have also found that a lot of people I meet who are new here and some not so close friends in the UK say " how can you come/go back to the UK? then I get a 10 minute lecture about the UK, as if I've never lived there before and what a waste to return. Why can't it be accepted that this is our decision as it was our decision to come here? After all I don't go on about the bad things here and moan about why I'am leaving, I save that for this forum!!!!!! lol

Just feeling a bit down today, and haven't got any friends left to share my thoughts with!!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:24 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: It's our choice at the end of the day?

Originally posted by wilko_1984
Your definately not alone Janey!

I've been back 2 1/2 weeks now and I glad to be back! All my best friends are glad im back but other people tell me i must be mad to have come back! Needless to say, these people have never been to Perth!

I had exactly the same when I was in Perth, people telling me that they couldn't believe I rather live in England, that I was stupid and that Australia is the best country in the world. But i made up my own mind and done what makes me happy. I have no plans to ever return to Australia.

I accept that it's a dream for some people and it's a great life for them, but it certainly wasn't for me.

In a few months time, hopefully the questions will stop and all will be back to normal.

On a more positive note, I got a job today! First one I applied for back in England! That didnt happen in Australia! Took me 3 months and several dozen applications for menial work like trolley pushing to eventually get something! Luckily it wasn't as a trolley pusher, i was "too inexperienced" for that!

Take care

Wilko
Well done with the job!!! Great news.

Thanks everyone for your support and views.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 12:32 pm
Badge

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Oz just loves the rough,tough stereotype male - look at the beer and car adverts.
Suits me. I have never been happier. Don't have to pretend to be intellectual so I can be all PC 'in with the crowd. I have my health and my sports and the love of a good woman. It hits me here - the simple things in life ARE important. I used to be a high pressure exec in Europe and it was all a lie. Sure you can be one over here, but then you get to play as well. Best of both worlds.
;-)

People may 'drop' you I suppose because its all part of severing emotional ties, part of the adjustment process . Like when you move jobs, you take 2 great friends with you, the other 10 stay on your email list. Human nature - they will of course send email - see what I mean? Still be friends.

I was in Brissy last we and there were adverts for museums, I really can't see where people talk about this lack of culture. There may be more in London, but then it takes twice as long to get anywhere and you get a headache with all the crowds. I have a theory with culture, when life was hard in times of war famine etc yadda yadda I'm sure people had better things to do with themselves, like save lives and feed people, not go shopping. That's just a luxury, and whilst there are starving people in the world shouldn't we give them money not build theatres?? There are hundreds of theatres in London but did it give me my health, a bit of space, land and a house NO. Did it make people smile in the streets and make shop assistants ask people how they were going in shops? NO. Just my 2pc.

About aussies wanting to live in Eirope - we've covered this one 100 times - most go for a quick buck, most return to raise a family.
I would bet this was the case for the most part.

Badge

Just arguing the other side!!!

Old Feb 9th 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Firstly, I don't think the culture of a place is to be determined by the number of museums.

Secondly, there is more to the UK than London! Why do Londoners think that London IS the UK?? When people complain about 'the UK', I really can't relate to much of it - over-crowding, traffic jams, out-of-reach property prices, etc - because what they really mean is 'London & the SE' and living in Cheshire I don't see it. Broaden you viewpoint of the UK, please! You can find space, land, health, leisure time and friendly shop assistants outside of London too.

Thirdly, living in Australia is a bit different to spending a year there on a working holiday. Or being there 4 weeks as a migrant. It's good that you have found happiness in Oz in such a short space of time, but worth remembering that long-term, things change and people have different wants in life - just as what you want is in Oz, what others want is in the UK. For those who have "been there, done that, had a great time, but can't see what the big deal is", it gets a bit tedious when people ram "Australia is great" down their throat - expecially by people who haven't even lived there.

Best of luck with life in Oz, and best wishes to all those heading back to the UK.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

I haven't found this a problem myself as I haven't made any friends yet!!! LOL
But friends in UK who I have told I am not happy are just supportive & really want us to come home as long as we're happy.
Started work yesterday & how weird that the vast majority of people Mr Bella & I have met over here have been so friendly but the people at work were unfriendly & unhelpful. And it was in a community mental helath team where communication is so important!
Both of us came home feeling a bit down in the dumps. Actually it is first time Mr Bella has said he wanted to go home so that's probably a good thing for me (is that mean?!) but he has wanted to stay a bit longer & I have just wanted to leave.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 12:29 am
Badge

The nicest places out of London but they don't have what I want, and people are still not as friendly as even in the cities in Australia.

I have said this a number of time - it was not a working holiday like a backpacking one. Although I did a few trips lasting a few weeks at a time, most of the time I was working, looking after kids etc doing very much the stuff I would do here.

My point is that I get bored with the people that go on about
museums and shopping.

cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.