British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   It's Official! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/its-official-616901/)

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 7:26 am

It's Official!

80% of Brits move back to UK. Apparently.

According to my source at our shipping company. I don't know how she knows but I thought it was 50% and she corrected me and said 80%. They carry out research for business reasons and their figure is supposed to be reasonably accurate.

Main reasons for returning are cultural differences, missing family, jobs, heat and just generally not feeling at home.

I have not felt as though I have a home (even though I do) for nearly 6 years.

Anyway, the shippers are flat out busy shipping Brits back home. I've been told this by 3 different companies now so it must be reasonably accurate.

northernbird Jun 26th 2009 7:36 am

Re: It's Official!

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7700964)

According to my source at our shipping company. I don't know how she knows but I thought it was 50% and she corrected me and said 80%. They carry out research for business reasons and their figure is supposed to be reasonably accurate.

Main reasons for returning are cultural differences, missing family, jobs, heat and just generally not feeling at home.

Anyway, the shippers are flat out busy shipping Brits back home. I've been told this by 3 different companies now so it must be reasonably accurate.

it isn't true. Someone posted a little while ago some DIAC official figures and they were nowhere near 80%

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 7:49 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7700979)
it isn't true. Someone posted a little while ago some DIAC official figures and they were nowhere near 80%

They might be now there are no jobs. Anyway, I am only quoting what I was told by 3 lots of shippers. They must do their own research to project their own business turnover. I'm guessing that's why they research anyway but I don't know for sure.

I am definitely going home in 6 weeks 2 days and 14 hours 30 minutes.:)

ozhappy981 Jun 26th 2009 7:55 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7701002)
I am only quoting what I was told by 3 lots of shippers.

Removal companies are of course well known and respected for their statistically sound research methods :rofl:.

Tr1boy Jun 26th 2009 8:30 am

I don't see what difference it makes what the % is, unless a person is shallow enough to stay/move somewhere because the majority do (or they are stupid enough to believe the Daily Mail). Have the balls to do what is right for you, stuff what others are doing. :cool:

ozhappy981 Jun 26th 2009 8:43 am

Originally Posted by Tr1boy (Post 7701090)
I don't see what difference it makes what the % is

I agree. But I think, Cricket is one of these people who needs to be "in the majority" and finds that percentage reassuring - even though it's from a totally unrealiable source.

Pollyana Jun 26th 2009 9:23 am

80% of Brits move back to UK.

Being purely pedantic here, but 80% of Brits have probably never moved out of the UK......
:sneaky:

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 7701125)
I agree. But I think, Cricket is one of these people who needs to be "in the majority" and finds that percentage reassuring - even though it's from a totally unrealiable source.

I don't think so.:) Cricket is a happy little bunny with all her options open. She loves England for her work and business opportunities plus all the other good things England offers so yes, Cricket is extremely fond of the UK.
But....because I've been here too long, I have a much loved son getting married to an Aussie girlfriend and setting up home here. He is also the agent for my business in Oz so I have to keep a home and look out for him here too. ;)

Cricket is now not just a happy little bunny but she's also a lucky little bunny who can choose which side of the world she lives on when she feels like it.:)

I posted the % to encourage all those who feel a bit lost about moving home. I thought it might make them feel better to know that lots of Brits move here but then go home again.

Does that satisfy you now Mr 28 year old number cruncher happy in Oz?;)

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 7701215)
Being purely pedantic here, but 80% of Brits have probably never moved out of the UK......
:sneaky:

Who said they had?

moneypenny20 Jun 26th 2009 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7701233)
Who said they had?

You did. :sneaky:

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 9:46 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 7701258)
You did. :sneaky:

Nope. I said that I had been told by 3 shipping companies that 80% of brits who have moved from the UK to Australia move back to the UK.
I think Pollyanna interpreted it that 80% of Brits moved from the UK. I didn't say that.

I have no idea which is one way or the other. I don't care. I'm joining the other merry little bunch who have already gone home.
If those of you living in oz don't like that, then er........I'm sure I'll think of something to respond with.;)

Pollyana Jun 26th 2009 9:56 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7701267)
Nope. I said that I had been told by 3 shipping companies that 80% of brits who have moved from the UK to Australia move back to the UK.
I think Pollyanna interpreted it that 80% of Brits moved from the UK. I didn't say that.

I have no idea which is one way or the other. I don't care. I'm joining the other merry little bunch who have already gone home.
If those of you living in oz don't like that, then er........I'm sure I'll think of something to respond with.;)

Actually you didn't mention Australia and there are a large number of posters in the UK forum who wouldn't know you specifically meant that......

moneypenny20 Jun 26th 2009 10:02 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7701267)

If you're going to confirm your sense of humour gene is missing then I'll just confirm that actually you said nothing of the sort.

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 7701290)
Actually you didn't mention Australia and there are a large number of posters in the UK forum who wouldn't know you specifically meant that......

Well as you know I'm in Australia, and you're a witch and know everything anyway ;), when I posted the above comments '80% of Brits move back to the UK', where do you think I meant they were moving back from Pollyanna?

Why is this such an issue? Is it because anyone who doesn't settle in Oz and wants to move back home has to justify it to those who enjoy living in Australia?? So what?
Isn't life about not where you live, but about enjoying where you live? If ***!% enjoy living in Australia, good luck to them.
I don't. I hate the place and I want to go home. Is that a problem?

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 10:09 am

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 (Post 7701301)
If you're going to confirm your sense of humour gene is missing then I'll just confirm that actually you said nothing of the sort.

OK, suits me. I'm happy no matter what happens now. :thumbsup:

alipally Jun 26th 2009 10:58 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 7700979)

DIAC figures are based on what you fill in on the departure form when you go through passport control.... So I guess that it's basically accurate, unless peeps make a habit of lying on the immigration form!

To be even more picky on this, I have to mention that, even though the removal companies find that they are shipping to the UK almost as much as they're shipping out.... Are they ALL Brits... Lots of Aussies move the UK every year too. I might also add that although Cricket is going home, her son staying. That means that although the whole of the house is moving the whole of the family is not. So, although the toing and froing may appear to be about to be 80 the actual figure is something quite different!

(Ali skulks off after winding up the OP!:o)

northernbird Jun 26th 2009 11:00 am

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 7701414)
DIAC figures are based on what you fill in on the departure form when you go through passport control.... So I guess that it's basically accurate, unless peeps make a habit of lying on the immigration form!

To be even more picky on this, I have to mention that, even though the removal companies find that they are shipping to the UK almost as much as they're shipping out.... Are they ALL Brits... Lots of Aussies move the UK every year too. I might also add that although Cricket is going home, her son is not. That means that although the whole of the house is moving the whole of the family is not. So, although the toing and froing may appear to be about to be 80 the actual figure is something quite different!

Even DIACs figures can't be completely accurate but I fear Crickets sources aren't anywhere near as accurate or reliable. I don't dispute a lot of people don't like Australia and return but I am sure a lot more stay than go.

kevin747 Jun 26th 2009 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7701232)
I don't think so.:) Cricket is a happy little bunny with all her options open. She loves England for her work and business opportunities plus all the other good things England offers so yes, Cricket is extremely fond of the UK.
But....because I've been here too long, I have a much loved son getting married to an Aussie girlfriend and setting up home here. He is also the agent for my business in Oz so I have to keep a home and look out for him here too. ;)

Cricket is now not just a happy little bunny but she's also a lucky little bunny who can choose which side of the world she lives on when she feels like it.:)

I posted the % to encourage all those who feel a bit lost about moving home. I thought it might make them feel better to know that lots of Brits move here but then go home again.

Does that satisfy you now Mr 28 year old number cruncher happy in Oz?;)

Please stay in Australia.
The UK needs people who don't refer to themselves in the 3rd person.You do realise you will probably struggle financially and meet a man who claims to be an aristocrat.
He will take all your money and you will no longer be able to afford that studio apartment in Middlesborough .
I and I'm sure others implore you to stay in Australia.
I can't live without the racist insults you send me privately calling me an Scottish alcoholic and a failure.
Please stay and if you want to return in your dotage you could build a raft ,powered by hot air ,with all the self help books you must own.
Think of yourself as a English heroine sent to civilise the colonial inferiors.
You were born for the part.

alipally Jun 26th 2009 2:08 pm

That's a bit mean Kev.... :(

If you're getting horrid PM's you need to send them to Pollyanna and she'll sort it out for you. :huh:

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 6:33 pm

Feel free to post your own reliable figures anyone.:)

Kev, I'm sending you my own personal greetings via PM. I'm sick of all you blokes picking fights with my female brain. It just can't handle it anymore.:rofl:

cricket1again Jun 26th 2009 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by alipally (Post 7701414)

To be even more picky on this, I have to mention that, even though the removal companies find that they are shipping to the UK almost as much as they're shipping out.... Are they ALL Brits... Lots of Aussies move the UK every year too. I might also add that although Cricket is going home, her son staying. That means that although the whole of the house is moving the whole of the family is not. So, although the toing and froing may appear to be about to be 80 the actual figure is something quite different!

My son is following us home after his wedding next Feb.:) He is marrying an Australian girl and all of her family are coming to the UK too. :eek: My daughter refused to ever come back to Oz so she's in England. The agent for two of the shippers was English and said they had noticed a lot of Brits returning in the last few months especially. This was mostly due to work reasons. That would make sense as a lot of work seems to have disappeared.

One thing.......I don't know if 80% is wrong or correct. It's just a figure that was given to me recently. That's why I said in my earlier post if anyone wants to post what they think are accurate figures, great!
I only posted to give some encouragement to those on the forum who are in such a dilemma about going home.

And the overcrowding thing in the UK............it's ABSOLUTE fact! No argument whatsoever. The UK is so overcrowded because.............

.................................................. .........IT'S SUCH A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE!!!!!!!

Right, I went to a party last night. Head hurts like hell so I'm off to bed. night night everyone. Don't talk about me when I've gone.:rofl:

ozhappy981 Jun 27th 2009 4:58 am

Originally Posted by kevin747 (Post 7701885)
The UK needs people who don't refer to themselves in the 3rd person.You do realise you will probably struggle financially and meet a man who claims to be an aristocrat.
He will take all your money and you will no longer be able to afford that studio apartment in Middlesborough .
I can't live without the racist insults you send me privately calling me an Scottish alcoholic and a failure.
Please stay and if you want to return in your dotage you could build a raft ,powered by hot air ,with all the self help books you must own.

Brilliant post :sneaky:! Karma sent :).

ozhappy981 Jun 27th 2009 5:02 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7701314)
Why is this such an issue?

According to your posts you are someone who can only every see one viewpoint - your own. And you like to twist facts or present gossip as "fact" to support your onw viewpoint.

But because you only ever see your own viewpoint, people enjoy taking the p1$$. It's not an "issue" - just very amusing.

cricket1again Jun 27th 2009 5:13 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 7703804)
According to your posts you are someone who can only every see one viewpoint - your own. And you like to twist facts or present gossip as "fact" to support your onw viewpoint.

But because you only ever see your own viewpoint, people enjoy taking the p1$$. It's not an "issue" - just very amusing.

Really? Did you hope I'd be worried or give a stuff? Sorry but I am happy saying and doing whatever I like at the moment.:p:p:p The last 6 weeks of being in Oz is going to be one long celebration so please forgive me if I can't be bothered to get into an argument or debate.
Since I booked my flight, it's like waiting for the gates of heaven to open. I can't take anything or anyone seriously anymore. Not taking the piddle out of you or anything.;)

Yipppppeeeeeee.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

ozhappy981 Jun 27th 2009 5:17 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7703815)
please forgive me if I can't be bothered to get into an argument or debate.

That post really makes no sense! You seem to be happy to spend a lot of time here at the moment "debating" - sorry, I re-phrase that - telling is your viewpoint again and again and again and again ..... [where is that YAWN smilie when one needs it]

cricket1again Jun 27th 2009 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ozhappy981 (Post 7703822)
That post really makes no sense! You seem to be happy to spend a lot of time here at the moment "debating" - sorry, I re-phrase that - telling is your viewpoint again and again and again and again ..... [where is that YAWN smilie when one needs it]

You're the one still here reading.:rofl:

However, seriously. I'm really not very good with dealing with the tedium moronitis characters so I am unsubscribing from this thread.
I'll leave you to figure out why, if you're so blissfully happy living in Oz as you say, you yourself spend so much time on the MBTTUK forum.

Hugs.:p

Petals Jun 27th 2009 6:10 am

Found the information from the shippers interesting, if you asked removalists here they tell you they take em up to Queensland from Victoria, drop them off and bring others back, guess its the same for the shippers.

I make up my mind to do things and just do it and tell people later, I am bemused at people going back who keep on about it as though they are really not sure,and want reassurance that they are doing the right thing.

Another reason I would just go because if I did not like it and wanted to come back I would not tell anyone either.:D

dingbat Jun 27th 2009 6:53 am

Originally Posted by kevin747 (Post 7701885)

<snigger>:thumbsup:

ozhappy981 Jun 27th 2009 7:31 am

Originally Posted by cricket1again (Post 7703862)
I'll leave you to figure out why, if you're so blissfully happy living in Oz as you say, you yourself spend so much time on the MBTTUK forum.

I don't read MBTTUK. I read "Todays' Posts" - the ones with interesting titles or started by amusing posters such as yourself :rofl:: Look at the cream bar at the top and you'll see the "Today's Post" button.

As for you "unsubscribing from your thread" ... where have I heard that before? Oh yes, that would be some of the other threads that you've started recently :sneaky:

Pollyana Jun 27th 2009 9:13 am

AS Cricket1 has just broiught a ban upon herself the thread and the subject are now closed.