It's not all Bad........

Old Feb 27th 2009, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's not all Bad........

Anyone contemplating a move to the UK needs to hear a range of view/experiences. Let's hope this doesn't turn into a slanging match.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:18 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Anyone contemplating a move to the UK needs to hear a range of view/experiences. Let's hope this doesn't turn into a slanging match.
Looks like it's too late. I began this thread in the spirit of finding something cheery to discuss in an otherwise gloomy situation and it's been shot down.
Unfortunately, I now recognise this trend as being something that some of the Brits are uniquely good at. I'm not sure why, maybe it has something to do with the grey climate, but whenever there is an upbeat, optimistic view, someone will come along to deflate it and then sure enough others will join in.

I remember when I lived in the UK during tough times, society appeared to divide into two main sides. One side grew through their tough times, fought hard, stayed upbeat, diversified and survived, the other side became morose, negative and almost paralysed by the situation. They went into victim mode but worse still, they resented and penalised those that did survive just for seeing a different viewpoint.

The sad thing is, and I recognise it as a trait familiar in Britain, is that there are good things happening but you have to want to see them. For some reason known only to themselves, some of the British just do not want to look for any other side other than the negatives. They seem to get some kind of perverse satisfaction out of being miserable then trying to convince everyone else around that they should be miserable too because there's nothing to be happy about.

I absolutely know what's going to happen when I go home. I'm going to breeze in in my usual light hearted, optimistic manner then I'm going to get slaughtered for being happy. Then I'm going to have to tone it down just so that everyone else can be happy being miserable.
Sounds great doesn't it?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with you Cricket - the thing that will sink GB is the negativity of the people as much as the politicians of whichever hue. However, I do think that the worm will eventually turn and people will begin to show their inner resilience even after all these years of being nannied. I'd like to think of myself as belonging to a resilient generation (being a lady of uncertain years and all) and would like to think that maybe this adversity will bring about increasing levels of resilience in the current population (Pollyanna or what???).

There is too the usual UK myopia and inflaming media, believing that it alone is suffering from the current economic crisis - Australia is just a bit behind and the US sounds like it is in utter turmoil. We are all in this together. People all over are losing their homes, finding themselves in negative equity, losing their jobs, finding their savings are no longer enough to live on, small businesses are going to the wall, big businesses are going off shore - it's not a uniquely UK experience. Ultimately we have to take responsibility for ourselves and if that involves seeking alternatives and pulling the pin on what we have been doing then I guess we do have to do that. I also believe that it is better to weather adversity in a place where you have a support network rather than being on your own in a strange place because ultimately people will always look after their own before they look after strangers.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 9:55 pm
Ping-ponging Pom

dave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of lightdave7370 is a glorious beacon of light

I admire you Cricket for trying to get an upbeat thread going, but as per the norm misery and doom seem to be the order of the day.

For me and my family, we looking forward to getting back to England come what may. Yes, recession's aren't good times, but they've come and gone before so it's never the end of the world.

If the media wouldn't make people so depressed and at least try to put an upward spin on things I believe people would be more positive.

But as you say, maybe it is just the 'British' way..... the ability to see a storm in a clear blue sky.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:31 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave7370
I admire you Cricket for trying to get an upbeat thread going, but as per the norm misery and doom seem to be the order of the day.
For me and my family, we looking forward to getting back to England come what may. Yes, recession's aren't good times, but they've come and gone before so it's never the end of the world.

If the media wouldn't make people so depressed and at least try to put an upward spin on things I believe people would be more positive.

But as you say, maybe it is just the 'British' way..... the ability to see a storm in a clear blue sky.
Could you explain to me what is so upbeat about labelling a nation of Brits as whingers who have had economic disaster befall them due to their own greed?

If you don't see how things got twisted around in this thread to make a certain person the victim (see Post 62), then I think you should re-read the thread. Some of us just got a bit ticked off at being patronized yet again.

There's being blindly positive and there's being cynically negative. I prefer the middle ground - objective and realistic. It's more like living in the real world.

And for the record, the norm on this part of BE is actually the opposite of what you suggest - any hint of criticism of a negative spoken about the UK is usually shot down in flames regardless of whether there's a hint of truth in it. It's almost a reverse Godzone mentality.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all

We can all do small things to help each other. I've started buying more locally so as to help small businesses (granted i'm still in Canada!) If people buy their necessities from smaller businesses then it will help them survive, it may also see an end to out of town impersonal malls / shopping centres. I heard that these will struggle and die. Hooray - Walmart is horrible. We have to see what positive can come from these changes...it's quite exciting if you look at it from certain perspectives.
ps. I think emmigration helps you become less materialistic as once you sell most of your stuff, and box up the rest, then live without it for months, you realise you don't need/want it. How liberating
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:38 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Could you explain to me what is so upbeat about labelling a nation of Brits as whingers who have had economic disaster befall them due to their own greed?

If you don't see how things got twisted around in this thread to make a certain person the victim (see Post 62), then I think you should re-read the thread. Some of us just got a bit ticked off at being patronized yet again.

There's being blindly positive and there's being cynically negative. I prefer the middle ground - objective and realistic. It's more like living in the real world.

And for the record, the norm on this part of BE is actually the opposite of what you suggest - any hint of criticism of a negative spoken about the UK is usually shot down in flames regardless of whether there's a hint of truth in it. It's almost a reverse Godzone mentality.

In which one of my posts did I label the whole of the British public as whingers? I said that the there is a mentality in Britain to be miserable and whining. You've just proved it. BTW, are you staying up in Scotland?
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

audreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to allaudreyrose23 is a name known to all

ps. listening to old tories whinging is just boring.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:50 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by audreyrose23
We can all do small things to help each other. I've started buying more locally so as to help small businesses (granted i'm still in Canada!) If people buy their necessities from smaller businesses then it will help them survive, it may also see an end to out of town impersonal malls / shopping centres. I heard that these will struggle and die. Hooray - Walmart is horrible. We have to see what positive can come from these changes...it's quite exciting if you look at it from certain perspectives.
ps. I think emmigration helps you become less materialistic as once you sell most of your stuff, and box up the rest, then live without it for months, you realise you don't need/want it. How liberating
I think it's the small businesses that are hurting the most. We have two corner stores locally and I always make sure to buy something from there every now and again (eggs, milk, paper, etc.), even though they are more expensive than Tesco et al. The big companies can weather the storm, but if we don't take care of our neighbours, they'll be sunk.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:50 pm
Banned

Thanks to Quoll and Dave. I've lived in Britain for 45 years. Even the bad times were good because at the end of the day, it all comes down to attitude. We had nothing when we were kids so everything is a bonus today especially the stuff that doesn't cost anything.

Just to clarify, it seems to me that just like here in Oz, the same thing is emerging. People who have overspent and borrowed beyond their means are the ones suffering because they can't maintain a lifestyle constructed on debt. Those that did live within their means are managing while a few in the middle are being caught up in the fallout of the current crisis through no fault of their own.

I'm in the middle of the last two, I haven't borrowed but I've taken big losses thanks to the reckless borrowing of others. I have to take action, diversify and replace what I've lost further down the track. To do this I might have to work a bit longer instead of retiring early. So what? That's how the world is at the moment.

I just don't get the bitter, angry, victim mentality. As Quoll says, we're all in the same mess together. Where's the point in crying over spilt milk? Isn't it better to spread a bit of cheer and goodwill and help pull a few people along with you rather than sink all possible hope with a negative attitude?
Old Feb 28th 2009, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Cricket but I'm struggling to remain positive and spread some positiveness while my milk is spilling all over the place! You really don't have the time for 'victims' do you? Well I'm not ashamed to admit that I am yet another victim of this recession, albeit here in Canada. 2 years after renting a pokey townhouse and landing a cracking job with the Alberta Government we bit the bullet and bought a house in 2007 when prices were at their peak. Look at them now, just 17 months later, we are looking at a huge loss of approx. $35,000. At the time of purchase, we were both on great wages, had the money and could afford it. What we didn't take into consideration was the detrimental effects of family deaths/illnesses in the UK which had to be put on the credit cards, and my job loss last November because my depression was too bad for me to cope with and do my work duties properly. I have tried and tried to get another job since and all I'm getting is knock-backs - office jobs are practically non-existent right now and even store work or Starbucks serving coffee aren't hiring! We're down to our last $1,000 in the bank now and bankruptcy is seemingly nearer each week, like the bloody grim reaper....but hey-ho!....such is life!! Must keep that British stiff upper lip in these times of suffering and pain and not let anyone know how tough we're having it so that we don't spread our negativity on to others I do not like to be looked down upon like we deserve all we get because we spent like there was no tomorrow....there are some of us who totally, absolutely tried their best to get on the property ladder and make things work but current circumstances are making it more and more difficult for us to hold on to such success.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:17 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
Sorry Cricket but I'm struggling to remain positive and spread some positiveness while my milk is spilling all over the place! You really don't have the time for 'victims' do you? Well I'm not ashamed to admit that I am yet another victim of this recession, albeit here in Canada. 2 years after renting a pokey townhouse and landing a cracking job with the Alberta Government we bit the bullet and bought a house in 2007 when prices were at their peak. Look at them now, just 17 months later, we are looking at a huge loss of approx. $35,000. At the time of purchase, we were both on great wages, had the money and could afford it. What we didn't take into consideration was the detrimental effects of family deaths/illnesses in the UK which had to be put on the credit cards, and my job loss last November because my depression was too bad for me to cope with and do my work duties properly. I have tried and tried to get another job since and all I'm getting is knock-backs - office jobs are practically non-existent right now and even store work or Starbucks serving coffee aren't hiring! We're down to our last $1,000 in the bank now and bankruptcy is seemingly nearer each week, like the bloody grim reaper....but hey-ho!....such is life!! Must keep that British stiff upper lip in these times of suffering and pain and not let anyone know how tough we're having it so that we don't spread our negativity on to others I do not like to be looked down upon like we deserve all we get because we spent like there was no tomorrow....there are some of us who totally, absolutely tried their best to get on the property ladder and make things work but current circumstances are making it more and more difficult for us to hold on to such success.

And I'm not having a tough time? My husband and I have both just sustained losses of $160,000. We just have a different way of looking at what's a blessing and what's a loss. We're both healthy and able to plan to expand business to reap back the $160,000 eventually. We're not dwelling on our losses, just our future which we intend to be positive and hopeful.
At some level, we're all victims. It's just I have my own attitude towards how I deal with it.

Look in all honesty, those of you who don't agree with the attitude of being optimistic, why don't you bugger off and start your own thread? Maybe you could call it 'Britain is sinking'. Then leave the rest of us to enjoy the merits of having a civil discussion on the upside of the UK on this thread.
You won't be getting any change out of me and I won't be apologising for being happy or stoical. In fact I think you should say sorry for being miserable.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
And I'm not having a tough time? My husband and I have both just sustained losses of $160,000. We just have a different way of looking at what's a blessing and what's a loss. We're both healthy and able to plan to expand business to reap back the $160,000 eventually. We're not dwelling on our losses, just our future which we intend to be positive and hopeful.
At some level, we're all victims. It's just I have my own attitude towards how I deal with it.

Look in all honesty, those of you who don't agree with the attitude of being optimistic, why don't you bugger off and start your own thread? Maybe you could call it 'Britain is sinking'. Then leave the rest of us to enjoy the merits of having a civil discussion on the upside of the UK on this thread.
You won't be getting any change out of me and I won't be apologising for being happy or stoical. In fact I think you should say sorry for being miserable.
Hey, I still LOVE the UK....it don't matter to me if the UK is in a recession. I'm not an idiot, I know that there are companies that are failing because of it and that there are companies that can actually thrive amazingly during this bad time. I'm not a UK hater, or down-putter, or a slagger-off....'kin'ell I love my country and want to be back there so much it ain't true! My disagreement is your perception of those that are in debt and having a hard time...you think we've brought it all on ourselves and that we love to blame someone other than ourselves. It's just that you're generalising Cricket, that's all
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1

Being happy and stoical is one thing, being heartless is another. You take the latter to another level.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 1:25 am
Banned

Originally Posted by northernbird
Being happy and stoical is one thing, being heartless is another. You take the latter to another level.
Doesn't take you long to join the pack does it Northern bird.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.