Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Its Funny You Should Say That!!

Its Funny You Should Say That!!

Old May 9th 2004, 8:05 pm
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Its Funny You Should Say That!!

One thing I have noticed since I got back, and I thought I would share this on here to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Each week I am meeting up with old friends and colleagues, sharing my thoughts on Oz and being back home.

When I say I didn't like living in Perth - Most people say 'Its funny you should say that ...I know 'so & so and they didn't like it either'. or...... ' I know more people who have come back, than have stayed out there'.

What I want to ask these people is WHY did not one of them share this information with me during the three years I was waiting for my visa!!!!!!!!??????

I guess you have to try it out to know whether it will work for you.
Old May 9th 2004, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

kath29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why didn't it work out for you? I'm interested to know as I have decided not to go and am looking for validation that I have done the right thing
Old May 10th 2004, 2:10 am
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Re: Its Funny You Should Say That!!

Originally posted by Jirrupin
One thing I have noticed since I got back, and I thought I would share this on here to see if anyone has had a similar experience.

Each week I am meeting up with old friends and colleagues, sharing my thoughts on Oz and being back home.

When I say I didn't like living in Perth - Most people say 'Its funny you should say that ...I know 'so & so and they didn't like it either'. or...... ' I know more people who have come back, than have stayed out there'.

What I want to ask these people is WHY did not one of them share this information with me during the three years I was waiting for my visa!!!!!!!!??????

I guess you have to try it out to know whether it will work for you.
Funny you should say that but a friend of mine emailed me over the weekend she said.....

"friends of ours went to live in Perth, he was a BT engineer but couldn't get any work, in any kind of employment (!) they tried to stick at it but decided to come back after a year, apparently she got a part time job so they lived on savings and her tiny wage ()"

So the stories have started already!!!!

I am prepared for this though.........

'You came back to England, why would anyone want to leave Australia to come here"?

I know close friends won't say this as they know why we are going back but a not so close cousin of hubby already said this on an email !

Kath29, I don't think you should try and justify why you disn't make the choice to come to OZ, just as I try not to think about what type of house/job/money I would have now in the UK had we not been here!

Old May 10th 2004, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

kath29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Janey there is still a big part of me that is envious of those who have had the experience of living abroad.Don't think about the kind of house you could have had-think about the experiences you have had. These are what make life interesting. Good luck to you for your move back.Just think you'll be abck with family and friends soon and just in time for summer
Old May 10th 2004, 8:52 pm
Good to be back in UK

Default Re: Its Funny You Should Say That!!

Originally posted by janeyray
I am prepared for this though.........

'You came back to England, why would anyone want to leave Australia to come here"?

Believe it or not, NOT ONE person has said that to me. A few people have said that they think its really nice that I am so positive about being back in the UK.

As you know I never did not like living here I was never desperate to get out but I do appreciate it more now I have been away for a while.
Old May 10th 2004, 9:01 pm
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by kath29
Why didn't it work out for you? I'm interested to know as I have decided not to go and am looking for validation that I have done the right thing
No point missing what you have never had. Look forward not back, you must have good reasons for your decisions. At the end of the day, its just another bit of land on the globe with its own set of probs etc

For us, we quickly found out that Oz could not provide the opportunities we wanted in life, and we actually realised they were under our noses back in the UK.

I did not like many things abiout living in OZ, I found it extremely claustrophobic and I feel I have a new lease of life now I am back. We went with fairly high excitement and expecations and they were not fulfilled.

I have no regrets about the three years waiting for my Visa nor the 8 months I spent out there, it was all part of the adventure.
We saw some fabulous scenery but there are examples of that all over the globe, why just stick to one place?

I won't list all the things we thought it didn't work for us, we simply were part of the estimated 50% who just 'didn't get 'it'.

Be happy.