Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Isle of Wight - Any info please

Isle of Wight - Any info please

Old May 5th 2015, 10:25 am
Just Joined

CoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Isle of Wight - Any info please

Wow... I had a quick glance at the webpage - Looks amazing !!
Old May 5th 2015, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
good one moses...

Compare Angelsey which has a road bridge connection to the mainland

Visit Anglesey - Home
Was really impressed and nice beaches. We took the ferry from Dublin to Holyhead which is only a short trip really (less than 2 hours).
Old May 5th 2015, 10:30 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CoxSA
Wow... I had a quick glance at the webpage - Looks amazing !!
its another option

If it interests you, then search property prices or rentals

Isle Of Anglesey property - Flats and houses for sale or to rent in Isle Of Anglesey

Pricey rental but really nice - compare this to something in Dorset

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-49599622.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-48815941.html

good luck to you

Last edited by not2old; May 5th 2015 at 10:42 am.
Old May 6th 2015, 10:53 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
major negative is the fact that it is an island, so you need to use the ferry to get to anywhere else in the UK, and that's not cheap, vehicle fees are some £40 for a return ticket, also you have to plan any excursions off the island around the ferry times. Apart from that it is a nice area to live from what I've seen and heard.
I think Mike covered all the main points.

For a first-time move to the UK I would consider Dorset first before deciding whether to move to the Isle of Wight. The latter would really be a step into the unknown for someone who has not lived in the UK before - plus as mentioned before you are locked in and limited in some way.

In Dorset it you really like the outdoors and living in a smaller place then Swanage might be to your liking, and if that's too small then Weymouth might prove a better choice.
Old May 6th 2015, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

Hello CoxSA

I noticed your post on the SA Forum. I used to live in Cape Town but now live in Fareham almost opposite to the Isle of Wight. I work with several colleagues who were born and bred on the Island but owning to work opportunities they now live on the mainland.

Scenically its pleasant, nice beaches, good walks etc - I have a small boat so trip over to the Island regularly....Ryde and Sea Town are my regular haunts in the Summer months.

Quality of life is good but I suspect (depending upon what type of work you do and assets you have) you will find it a bit of an economic backwater. There is no real industry on the Island and it depends on Tourism. The winter months the place has a tendency to die.

One of the posters above mentioned Bournemouth....I used to live over that side. Be warned that property prices are a shocker in that area, generally higher due to being favoured by moneyed people.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by eliscolin; May 6th 2015 at 2:51 pm.
Old May 7th 2015, 6:37 am
Just Joined

CoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond reputeCoxSA has a reputation beyond repute

Hi eliscolin

Thank you for your reply... very useful information

Yes it does definitely appears that the IOW has quite a few things to seriously consider...

I am originally from London, with most of my family now living in Essex, however after so many years here in SA (25) I really don't want to bring my SA family back to live in Essex !! That's why I am looking for a UK Town that is going to give us a good quality of life ie: lots of out door stuff to do.... and a town that isn't going to cost a fortune for house rentals etc.... Schools are also a big factor in choosing the right location, my kids are 11/13 & 17 !! So really quite daunting at the moment...
Old May 7th 2015, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

eliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant futureeliscolin has a brilliant future

Hi CoxSA

I left SA in 93 and lived over their some 20 years....Pretoria/ Cape Town. I totally sympathize with not wanting to go back Essex way....not my cup of tea at all!

I am not sure if you have been back to the UK in recent years but things have changed greatly here from the 80's early 90's when I assume you were last over here?

The first thing that will hit you is the evident population pressure. As you know I live in Fareham (between Southampton and Portsmouth) and the South East in general is becoming particularly built up and expensive (Housing wise).

Dorset would be a pleasant place to live but work particularly in West Dorset may be harder to find than say Bournemouth/ Poole/ Southampton area. Very much depends what type of Industry your in, what assets you can get out of SA and your other circumstances.

One place that may be worth considering is down Exeter way. Exeter has become a much larger city in recent years with good Motorway (M5) links to Bristol and the M4 Corridor. I considered that prospect myself because I like the Outdoors and one lives on the doorstep of Dartmoor with great coastline etc.

A more radical option - have you considered Spain? Northern Spain is particularly appealing...very similar lifestyle to SA, more space and after the huge property crash you could find something much more affordable than here in the UK. Work is admittedly tough over there but depending on what background you have you may be able to do something.

Anyone who has had to work around the South African AA/ BEE laws in SA is probably more adept at self employment.

BTW - what is the situation like back in SA these days? My brother still lives there but his version of SA appears somewhat different to the South Africans living over here.
Old May 7th 2015, 3:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eliscolin
A more radical option - have you considered Spain? Northern Spain is particularly appealing...very similar lifestyle to SA, more space and after the huge property crash you could find something much more affordable than here in the UK. Work is admittedly tough over there but depending on what background you have you may be able to do something.
Unless you are fluent in Spanish, hardly any options and property not that cheap when you look at salaries. You can still find less populated areas in the UK, close to bigger towns or cities and like anywhere depends on your skills. I agree that property in England can be very pricey and that's why I personally went to the Rep of Ireland, but you're still better off than in Northern Spain without a word of Spanish. If you have a decent job in the UK, you can still afford a holiday home in Spain.
Old May 7th 2015, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

We're giving the I.O.W. serious consideration, but we're retiring. Doubt if it would be on the radar if we had kids or needed to find work.
Old May 13th 2015, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

kevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond reputekevntrace has a reputation beyond repute

Another vote for Devon (and the southwest in general) from me - but I am biased. Lots of lovely towns and villages, and the cities of Plymouth and Exeter.

Take a look at Dartmouth, which is a very picturesque town on the south Devon coast. And you can't beat a Devonshire cream tea (clotted cream first, jam on top).