Isle of Bute

Old Mar 29th 2020, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Isle of Bute

Calling out to Scott.
Hope you’re hale and hearty.
You may already know that Bute got a very favourable mention in the Sunday Times Best Places to Live in 2020.
I know you’ve extolled its virtues over the years but would you care to recap? For the benefit of anyone looking for an area to settle in?
it does sound rather lovely.
Old Mar 29th 2020, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Isle of Bute

As a Sabbatarian I do not read Sunday papers. Bute is nice. I have been here for 10 years. Ask and i shall try to answer
Old Mar 29th 2020, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

OK.
What are the best things about living there?
And what aspects - if any - do you not like?
Old Mar 29th 2020, 6:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Surviving here with no kinship ties can be difficult. Jobs are hard to find.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 2:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Any upsides?
What’s the climate like? It can’t be worse than Ireland surely and in recent years I’ve always found at least the east coast of NI to be quite nice weatherwise. Certainly not relentless rain.
Old Mar 30th 2020, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How will you earn your daily bread ? Slim pickings on the job front. Shelf-stacking in the supermarket ?
Old Mar 30th 2020, 8:41 pm
Just Joined

Rosecampion is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
Shelf-stacking in the supermarket ?
Sure, why not?
Anyway I wouldn’t be looking for work.

There must be something you like about it. The ST was waxing lyrical.
Old Mar 31st 2020, 7:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I came here to retire. Not sure what would motivate you to come here.
Old Apr 1st 2020, 3:34 am
Just Joined

Rosecampion is an unknown quantity at this point

The friendliness of the people.
Just kidding.
Old Apr 2nd 2020, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Oxford, Australia, Bute ? Where do you want to be and why do you want to be there ? Not many of us have the luxury of choice.We go where the economics take us..
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 7:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Any upsides?
What’s the climate like? It can’t be worse than Ireland surely and in recent years I’ve always found at least the east coast of NI to be quite nice weatherwise. Certainly not relentless rain.
A lot of the Republic of Ireland is milder/sunnier than the North though and rain data really depends on location and years. You can drive through Connemarra and it might be pissing down but some of the coastal areas have some of the sunniest weather during the summer months. Then you have Wicklow/Wexford area and while it might rain more in Co. Cork, it's still sunnier and milder than other parts further North.
Both locations are not the Med though.
Old Apr 3rd 2020, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In my ten years here on Bute I continue to be astonished by the high rainfall.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 6:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Moses.
One of the great things about Ireland is that if the weather gets too much - and even if you live in the North - a couple of hours’ drive on uncongested roads gets you to a port and the overnight ferry to Cherbourg.
I have family in the North and I really value the easy access to the NHS so to be honest the weather in the RoI would need to be significantly better than in NI to induce me to move south.
House prices are a big factor too. I recently bought a little (admittedly nothing fancy) detached house in Helens Bay which is a lush wooded area by the sea with a pristine sandy beach yet a stone’s throw from the capital with its hospitals, arts venues, international airport, etc. It cost well under £240,000.

Unless somewhere else in the UK beckons (and funnily enough I’ve now ruled out Bute), we’ll probably base ourselves there.
Am looking forward to spending lots of time in the Republic, though. As a child I used to go to Dingle. Utterly spectacular.
Old Apr 4th 2020, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Thanks Moses.
One of the great things about Ireland is that if the weather gets too much - and even if you live in the North - a couple of hours’ drive on uncongested roads gets you to a port and the overnight ferry to Cherbourg.
I have family in the North and I really value the easy access to the NHS so to be honest the weather in the RoI would need to be significantly better than in NI to induce me to move south.
House prices are a big factor too. I recently bought a little (admittedly nothing fancy) detached house in Helens Bay which is a lush wooded area by the sea with a pristine sandy beach yet a stone’s throw from the capital with its hospitals, arts venues, international airport, etc. It cost well under £240,000.

Unless somewhere else in the UK beckons (and funnily enough I’ve now ruled out Bute), we’ll probably base ourselves there.
Am looking forward to spending lots of time in the Republic, though. As a child I used to go to Dingle. Utterly spectacular.
One of the big benefits for us were the cheap house prices at the time compared to UK, or specifically the South East and less crowds. We're not far from Galway and job market is good too. We can be anywhere in just over 2 hours really, so if the weather is better East we drive there, or check in the morning and might spend a day at the beach around Westport or wherever. Had planned to take the new ferry from Dublin next month but that won't happen. The last few times we went via Cork to Roscoff and then drive down to Spain .
Old Apr 4th 2020, 9:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bute is not part of Ireland.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.