Reload this Page >

Irishwoman wins NY lottery

Wikiposts

Irishwoman wins NY lottery

Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:23 pm
Banned

blamington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Irishwoman wins NY lottery

In the UK lottery winners are entitled to remain anonymous and most do, only the chavs go want the publicity.
Old Feb 1st 2011, 4:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irishwoman wins NY lottery

Originally Posted by Oregon4now
Uhm.. no you don't, all you have to do is pay the appropriate taxes. Fact.

Yes, non-US citizens can legally play, and non-US citizens are eligible to win any prize offered in the game.
If a non-US citizen wins, they would claim their prize in the same manner that a US citizen would, but the taxes withheld would be different. For example, federal withholding for non-US citizens is a flat 30%. Also, individual states may have different tax structures for non-US citizens than they do for US citizens. Depending on which country the person is a legal resident of, there also may be tax treaties between the US and that other country which could be helpful in offsetting whatever the US tax liabilities are.
US Resident is not the same as US citizen. I've read "you must be a legal resident to win" rule in a few places (in the fine print of course). I'm not saying all of them have this requirement, but many do.

The winning person may not have a choice to on the publicity - I believe MegaMillions and Powerball have the right to publicize your name.