Reload this Page >

Irishwoman wins NY lottery

Wikiposts

Irishwoman wins NY lottery

Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:03 pm
Banned

blamington is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Irishwoman wins NY lottery

An Irish woman stranded by winter storms in the United States has won a jackpot of $21.5 million (€15.6 million) in the New York State Lottery.

Patricia Eisel (40), a mother of three who lives in Long Beach, Nassau County, posted all six numbers in the multi-million Lotto jackpot on January 5th after spending €8.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 3:49 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Irishwoman wins NY lottery

Originally Posted by blamington
An Irish woman stranded by winter storms in the United States has won a jackpot of $21.5 million (€15.6 million) in the New York State Lottery.

Patricia Eisel (40), a mother of three who lives in Long Beach, Nassau County, posted all six numbers in the multi-million Lotto jackpot on January 5th after spending €8.
If she "lives in Long Beach, Nassau County" how can she be "stranded [...] in the United States"?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:01 pm
Banned

When collecting her prize, Ms Eisel, who moved to the United States in 1995, told reporters she was meant to be back in Ireland at the time of playing the lottery. Bad winter weather over Christmas forced her to stay in the New York, where she bought her winning ticket.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ahhh..the thread title is a bit deceiving. I assumed it was an Irish citizen on holiday in NY who decided to buy a ticket. If that was the case, then she would not receive any winnings, even with a winning ticket. You have to be a US resident to win a lottery (at least all the lotteries I've ever played said that in their rules). Wish we had that kinda luck!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 4:48 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

When collecting her prize, Ms Eisel, who moved to the United States in 1995, told reporters she was meant to be back in Ireland at the time of playing the lottery. Bad winter weather over Christmas forced her to stay in the New York, where she bought her winning ticket.
Moved from where? Is she an Irish woman, and woman who lives in Ireland, or what? Eisel certainly doesn't sound like an Irish name in the way that, say, O'Halloran, or Moran does, does it now?

I'm suspectin' panderin' on the part of the reporters now, aren't I?
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:02 pm
Banned

Congratulations to her! It's great as she needs the money. I still wonder about splashing her name and photograph all over the media. She will be pestered by people asking if they can "borrow" some money. I hope she is strong enough to say, "no". I hope she gets independent professional advice, otherwise, in a few years, we may be reading how she is broke and back to square one again.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:19 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

It is written in the rules and regulations that winner must make their names and photos available for publication.

Congratulations to her! It's great as she needs the money. I still wonder about splashing her name and photograph all over the media. She will be pestered by people asking if they can "borrow" some money. I hope she is strong enough to say, "no". I hope she gets independent professional advice, otherwise, in a few years, we may be reading how she is broke and back to square one again.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 3:12 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Moved from where? Is she an Irish woman, and woman who lives in Ireland, or what? Eisel certainly doesn't sound like an Irish name in the way that, say, O'Halloran, or Moran does, does it now?

I'm suspectin' panderin' on the part of the reporters now, aren't I?
It looks like she is Irish & married an American, so Eisel is her married name. Mr. Eisel moved out on her and the kids a short while ago, if I were him I'd be trying to mend the fences now....
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

All I know is it wasn't bloody me!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:51 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
It's a damn shame. I could really use $12.5 million. Having just spent a pleasant week in New York City, it has dawned on me that I would like a pied-à-terre on the Upper West Side. It would be nice to be able to walk home from the opera or ballet.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:23 am
BE Enthusiast

TimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond reputeTimFountain has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
It's a damn shame. I could really use $12.5 million. Having just spent a pleasant week in New York City, it has dawned on me that I would like a pied-à-terre on the Upper West Side. It would be nice to be able to walk home from the opera or ballet.
Ohh opera or ballet, now that's posh!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 10:13 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
Ditto. I'd be happy with the interest off it.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 11:01 am
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by TimFountain
Ohh opera or ballet, now that's posh!
Not posh - just fun!!
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Oregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond reputeOregon4now has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Ahhh..the thread title is a bit deceiving. I assumed it was an Irish citizen on holiday in NY who decided to buy a ticket. If that was the case, then she would not receive any winnings, even with a winning ticket. You have to be a US resident to win a lottery (at least all the lotteries I've ever played said that in their rules). Wish we had that kinda luck!
Uhm.. no you don't, all you have to do is pay the appropriate taxes. Fact.

Yes, non-US citizens can legally play, and non-US citizens are eligible to win any prize offered in the game.
If a non-US citizen wins, they would claim their prize in the same manner that a US citizen would, but the taxes withheld would be different. For example, federal withholding for non-US citizens is a flat 30%. Also, individual states may have different tax structures for non-US citizens than they do for US citizens. Depending on which country the person is a legal resident of, there also may be tax treaties between the US and that other country which could be helpful in offsetting whatever the US tax liabilities are.

Last edited by Oregon4now; Jan 31st 2011 at 12:54 pm. Reason: : )
Old Jan 31st 2011, 5:19 pm
Banned

Patricia Daly Eisel was shattered when she and her husband Jamie Eisel split last year, but after the mother of three won $21.5m on the New York State Lottery, it may be his turn to cry.

‘They share the kids between them. As far as I know, it’s all very amicable.’

‘He left her,’ said a Tullamore resident who knows the family. ‘It will be interesting now to see if he will go and seek a share of the win.’

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.