British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Irene (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/irene-729627/)

Jerseygirl Aug 26th 2011 8:31 pm

Re: Irene

The Governor of NJ has just said 'People are still on the beach. It's 4 o'clock...you've maximised your tan...now get the hell off the beach'. :lol:

Mummy in the foothills Aug 26th 2011 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9583911)
The Governor of NJ has just said 'People are still on the beach. It's 4 o'clock...you've maximised your tan...now get the hell off the beach'. :lol:

:thumbsup::lol:

tonrob Aug 26th 2011 10:12 pm

Ok - local news channel really lapping this up. They reckon it'll still be a Cat 1 when it gets here and the eye will pass directly over us. Starting to crap it a bit now, to be honest.

On a more light-hearted note, today I spent $8 on fox pee - a statement that I never ever thought I'd utter, due not entirely to curiosity but also to the fact that we just returned from two weeks holiday to discover a skunk living under our porch.

frrussre Aug 26th 2011 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by BellaE (Post 9583628)
plus if the power goes out, you can't run the blender to make the pina coladas...

We embarrassed our son by saying that if the power went out, we'd just go to bed. I really don't know why that embarrassed him - what does he think Mum and Dad do in bed anyway?

Coleman Battery blender.

"what does he think Mum and Dad do in bed anyway"

My answer would be make, cock tails.

boom boom.

Reg. Frank R.

Apfelkuchen Aug 26th 2011 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9584076)
On a more light-hearted note, today I spent $8 on fox pee - a statement that I never ever thought I'd utter, due not entirely to curiosity but also to the fact that we just returned from two weeks holiday to discover a skunk living under our porch.

On the bright side, maybe the hurricance will get rid of the skunk for you.

cindyabs Aug 27th 2011 12:36 am

It is passing by us right now- the sky had loads of funny layered clouds as we drove home tonight, slight breeze so humidity was down.

Juswus Aug 27th 2011 1:51 am

Stay safe everyone! :wub:

And if any of you Mass people wanna retreat North, we have a huge brand new furnished basement with multiple beds and we're used to taking in waifs and strays. ;)

N1cky Aug 27th 2011 3:04 am

Originally Posted by tonrob (Post 9584076)
Ok - local news channel really lapping this up. They reckon it'll still be a Cat 1 when it gets here and the eye will pass directly over us. Starting to crap it a bit now, to be honest.

Hope you are ok Tonrob.

Stay safe everyone

Bluegrass Lass Aug 27th 2011 11:08 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9583911)

For once, he said something I can agree with.

Hope everyone stays safe and dry!

DeadVim Aug 27th 2011 11:11 am

Stay safe over there, good luck :)

Beedubya Aug 27th 2011 1:08 pm

Stay safe everybody, just heard that people in the NY area are being asked to evacuate and the airports are shutting down.

Take care everybody, we're thinking of you over here in dear old blighty. :thumbsup:

frrussre Aug 27th 2011 1:08 pm

Still Cat 1 & heading up the coast. Stay safe, keep your heads down & don't go out side, til safe to do so. Roof tile or piece of 2x4" at 100 mph, will knock your head off, go through a window, or wall of lots of USA homes.

Reg. Frank R.

cindyabs Aug 27th 2011 1:19 pm

Thinking of you in NC, VA right now, and those of you mid Atlantic folks shortly. :unsure:

:wub:

Jerseygirl Aug 27th 2011 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs (Post 9585033)
Thinking of you in NC, VA right now, and those of you mid Atlantic folks shortly. :unsure:

:wub:

I was wondering what it's currently like in those areas. The only thing I'm hearing is how it's going to impact the NY Metro area. Looks like it weakened a little overnight...hopefully it will carry on weakening.

cindyabs Aug 27th 2011 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 9585038)
I was wondering what it's currently like in those areas. The only thing I'm hearing is how it's going to impact the NY Metro area. Looks like it weakened a little overnight...hopefully it will carry on weakening.

Yeah, just went on the Golden Triangle websitre and they said it had come aboard at NC, at 730 am.

We have a bunch of Red Cross volunteers from Savannah that left for Chicopee, MA yesterday.