Investing etc in UK

Old Feb 16th 2008, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Baadil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Investing etc in UK

Hi,

Here in the US, my home finance minister (wife) allowed me to have a small amount of money to 'play' stocks with. This is all I get, win or lose :-). I have managed to keep the amount barely above the original so I consider myself an expert in investing in stocks (just kidding). I would like to do something similar when I move back to the UK or start something now while I am still in the US.

Currently, I can buy the UK stocks from ETrade but that is all in Dollars. I would like recommendations on decent (and inexpensive) online trading companies in the UK. Also, I have no clue about various companies/stocks in the UK so any good references would be great.

Thanks.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Investing etc in UK

hmmm. 76 views and no recommendations? Come on guys, if I can't find something in UK, I will have to return this money back to my wife.

Originally Posted by Baadil
Hi,

Here in the US, my home finance minister (wife) allowed me to have a small amount of money to 'play' stocks with. This is all I get, win or lose :-). I have managed to keep the amount barely above the original so I consider myself an expert in investing in stocks (just kidding). I would like to do something similar when I move back to the UK or start something now while I am still in the US.

Currently, I can buy the UK stocks from ETrade but that is all in Dollars. I would like recommendations on decent (and inexpensive) online trading companies in the UK. Also, I have no clue about various companies/stocks in the UK so any good references would be great.

Thanks.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:41 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Baadil
hmmm. 76 views and no recommendations? Come on guys, if I can't find something in UK, I will have to return this money back to my wife.
You might get more information from the Motley Fool site. I've found that questions relating to investments, tax issues, pensions, etc., don't get a lot of response.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 3:21 am
Just Joined

Igloo is an unknown quantity at this point

I know nothing about investing in stocks, but you may find the information you need on the "thisismoney" (.co.uk) website. There is a guide to internet dealing including a list of online brokers. The list includes a UK ETrade (just use .co.uk).
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dunroving
You might get more information from the Motley Fool site. I've found that questions relating to investments, tax issues, pensions, etc., don't get a lot of response.
Thank you dunroving. I will check it out.

Originally Posted by Igloo
I know nothing about investing in stocks, but you may find the information you need on the "thisismoney" (.co.uk) website. There is a guide to internet dealing including a list of online brokers. The list includes a UK ETrade (just use .co.uk).
Thanks Igloo. I have checked out etrade.co.uk. I was just wondering if there were any better ones for UK.

I will keep looking...
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:50 am
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Stay away from it
Old Feb 20th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Stay away from stocks or E*Trade?

Originally Posted by Lionda
Stay away from it