Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Intro & questions about moving back

Intro & questions about moving back

Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all
Question Intro & questions about moving back

Hi,I'm Andrew (but you can also call me Faolan).
I'm new here so I'll do a brief intro,I'm 22 years old and I've lived in New Zealand since I was 7.I was born in Chester and I grew up in Blacon which I suppose to all intents and purposes Chester as well.Although I have spent most of my life In NZ I've never felt truly at home the first impression of kiwis has never left me and it is not a positive one to put it mildly-further impressions sadly only re-enforced it. When my dad,sister and I came here,I had no idea that we wouldn't be going back home and despite all the fun and opportunities I've had here the desire to go home is still there.I was once told that being away meant that I was viewing England "through rose tinted glasses" Is this true? is it foolish of me to want to be surrounded by my culture to see,feel,hear and even smell my homeland?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:46 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intro & questions about moving back

Originally Posted by Celticprince_86
I'm new here so I'll do a brief intro,I'm 22 years old and I've lived in New Zealand since I was 7.I was born in Chester and I grew up in Blacon which I suppose to all intents and purposes Chester as well.Although I have spent most of my life In NZ I've never felt truly at home the first impression of kiwis has never left me and it is not a positive one to put it mildly-further impressions sadly only re-enforced it. When my dad,sister and I came here,I had no idea that we wouldn't be going back home and despite all the fun and opportunities I've had here the desire to go home is still there.I was once told that being away meant that I was viewing England "through rose tinted glasses" Is this true? is it foolish of me to want to be surrounded by my culture to see,feel,hear and even smell my homeland?

At 22 im sure you'll have a right laugh back in England. With dual nationality, im guessing you have two, once you've got bored of the bright lights you can always go back to NZL. I consider myself very lucky having two nationalities especially one of those being European Union.

I spent two weeks in NZL once... once.

Last edited by Londonuck; Apr 27th 2009 at 9:50 am.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is human nature to see the grass being greener on the other side, but so what? You have the mobility that comes with being 22 so just give UK a try if that is where you feel pulled too.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andrew,
You will love the UK I am sure, and do all that someone of you age will do, but whilst I understand how you feel the UK to be your homeland, it's not your culture and won't be until you are there and have taken on board all that is different.
Good luck.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

At your age, and with a family to return to in NZ, you've got nothing to lose by trying out the UK ... I do think that after 15 years, your ideas about the UK may be outdated, inaccurate, fogged by rose tints, but there's only one way to know for sure. Get your backside over and find out ... make the leap ... but buy a return ticket for Justin ...

(Justin case you want to go back)
Old Apr 27th 2009, 8:41 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I'm assuming you've not been back, Andrew?

I doubt you have any memories of substance. My kids can't remember much about places they lived at seven and younger then left. That's neither here nor there. I only mean that whatever's pulling at you isn't rose-tinted memories.

Is your family unhappy to have you far away? Are they pressuring you to stay?

You feel pretty sure that NZ isn't for you, and no one can accuse you of not giving it a try! So yes, I think you should go back to the UK for a while and see. Lots of young people live abroad for a few years, so it's really no big deal. Just think of it as a year or two to begin with. You might end up moving on to a third location, and that's fine, too.

I'm assuming you have the means to support yourself, find a job, etc etc.

Bon voyage,

Bev
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Celticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to allCelticprince_86 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bevm
I'm assuming you've not been back, Andrew?

I doubt you have any memories of substance. My kids can't remember much about places they lived at seven and younger then left. That's neither here nor there. I only mean that whatever's pulling at you isn't rose-tinted memories.

Is your family unhappy to have you far away? Are they pressuring you to stay?

You feel pretty sure that NZ isn't for you, and no one can accuse you of not giving it a try! So yes, I think you should go back to the UK for a while and see. Lots of young people live abroad for a few years, so it's really no big deal. Just think of it as a year or two to begin with. You might end up moving on to a third location, and that's fine, too.

I'm assuming you have the means to support yourself, find a job, etc etc.

Bon voyage,

Bev
No I've never been back,My Dad did go back for My Granddads' funeral and not being able to go tore me up inside,and I don't want to go through that pain again. My only family here is my Dad, sister and my nephew. most of my family is still in the U.K .and the family that is here is not that close to me,which means that It is just another thing I have to consider.Right now I have a lot to do so that I can be in a position to make a definite decision.Number one on that list would be finding work.
so in closing thanks for the advice and I'll continue to figure things out in the meantime.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond reputeDave_Was has a reputation beyond repute

Any country when seen from afar can have the rose tinted, grass is greener effect.

Whenever, I think of the UK and London especially, I think of home, the people, etc. However, whenever I go for a visit, I experience the traffic, weather, the crowds, slightly run down feel, etc that I had 'forgotten'.

For me though, the UK and London will always be home. My family and friends are all there and I have realised they mean more to me than the negatives.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Eastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really niceEastend Girl is just really nice

Celtic Prince - you have to go - if you're disappointed you still have a home in NZ. Treat it as a holiday and if you love it as much as you think you will, then stay!
Old Apr 28th 2009, 2:03 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you have your New Zealand citizenship, try it out if you've nothing else to hold you to NZ.

If you haven't got your NZ citizenship, then apply for it and don't even think about any kind of move until you are sworn in as a citizen.
Old Apr 28th 2009, 8:18 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you have your New Zealand citizenship, try it out if you've nothing else to hold you to NZ.

If you haven't got your NZ citizenship, then apply for it and don't even think about any kind of move until you are sworn in as a citizen.
Top advice.