Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Intro & questions about eligibility for benefits etc in UK

Intro & questions about eligibility for benefits etc in UK

Old Jun 28th 2021, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Kas2401 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Intro & questions about eligibility for benefits etc in UK

Allow me to introduce myself. I am 66 years old and father of two sons who are both married with families. My eldest son and family have relocated to Devon and are well settled. My youngest has now decided to follow his brother and is making plans to take his family as well. This leaves me alone in South Africa (born in Leicester 1955 and emigrated to South Africa 1969) and although I can barely survive financially I cannot bear the thought of not being able to be close to my family. Having been brought to SA by my parents (permanent residents and not South African) at the tender age of 14 I have never contributed towards any benefit mechanisms in the UK. After converting my entire wealth into Sterling I do not believe I can survive financially having looked at the cost of living in the UK. Now the 64k dollar question. How do I go about establishing if I am eligible for any assistance or whether I can make arrear contributions to make me eligible for assistance and what are the specifics of this assistance so that I am able to ensure that I am not a liability on my children or the State.

My British Passport - Burgundy, has expired and I recognise that my first step is to apply for a new one but I only want to do this if I have a viable way of existing in the UK. If there are already posts that deal with this scenario I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to the answers I need.

Best Regards

Kenneth
Old Jun 28th 2021, 5:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Intro & questions about eligibility for benefits etc in UK

Hi Kenneth, and welcome to BE.

I've moved your thread to the Moving Back to the UK forum, where hopefully you'll get some good advice.

This thread may have some useful info/links in - New single mum. Needing advice.

You may be able to make some National Insurance contributions towards a UK pension, this is worth doing even if you don't move back. Full info on this link - https://www.gov.uk/voluntary-nationa...-contributions

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jun 28th 2021 at 5:44 pm.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think that at age 66, not having lived in the UK for 50 years and having no dependents, you should assume you would be eligible for minimal benefits.
There is a new benefit called Universal Credit. The following website provides information as to eligibilty and how much you could expect to receive.
https://www.gov.uk/universal-credit
(Note that you get nothing if you have more than 16K GBP in savings)
You MIGHT get some housing benefit.
All these factors are assessed when you visit your local Social Security Office. Nothing will be agreed until you are actually living in the UK
I think you should be looking at some, at least, short term support from your children.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 10:27 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kas2401
Allow me to introduce myself. I am 66 years old and father of two sons who are both married with families. My eldest son and family have relocated to Devon and are well settled. My youngest has now decided to follow his brother and is making plans to take his family as well. This leaves me alone in South Africa (born in Leicester 1955 and emigrated to South Africa 1969) and although I can barely survive financially I cannot bear the thought of not being able to be close to my family. Having been brought to SA by my parents (permanent residents and not South African) at the tender age of 14 I have never contributed towards any benefit mechanisms in the UK. After converting my entire wealth into Sterling I do not believe I can survive financially having looked at the cost of living in the UK. Now the 64k dollar question. How do I go about establishing if I am eligible for any assistance or whether I can make arrear contributions to make me eligible for assistance and what are the specifics of this assistance so that I am able to ensure that I am not a liability on my children or the State.

My British Passport - Burgundy, has expired and I recognise that my first step is to apply for a new one but I only want to do this if I have a viable way of existing in the UK. If there are already posts that deal with this scenario I would appreciate it if someone could direct me to the answers I need.

Best Regards

Kenneth

I'm afraid I don't know about the benefits question, but there are huge differences in cost of living, in particular the cost of housing (both rental & buying) in different parts of the country. Devon is likely to be quite high because the West Country has turned into a popular spot for well-to-do people to buy second homes, and it's even pricing the locals out of the market. Midlands and points north are significantly cheaper, and as long as you are on a train line, visits are still doable.