Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

interview with job centre for benefits...any tips?

Wikiposts

interview with job centre for benefits...any tips?

Old Jun 28th 2009, 4:45 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: interview with job centre for benefits...any tips?

It's very complicated and will involve a valuation and comparison of rent received and outgoings. Chances are it will take months. You'll probably get a job before it's resolved.

On a general point, the value of property can be ignored if one is trying to sell. Proof would be needed.

To those who wonder how the DWP knows about these things...sometimes it's from what's already known. In cases of people returning to the UK, records just didn't disappear when people left. Sometimes it's common sense and local knowledge.

The most obvious situation is where there were previous records (of whatever sort) indicating the ownership of property at the time someone left the UK. That will suggest some obvious questions if someone returns with no assets.
Old Jun 28th 2009, 5:39 pm
Just Joined

themercer4 is an unknown quantity at this point

We are going to be going through the interview process soon. (Sorry haven't got any tips)

Unfortunately, due to the crisis and lack of work here, we have to just shut our house up in Spain and head back to the UK.
My hubby left just over a week ago for a job interview and luckily enough he got the job(starts job today), and I leave next week, now that our children have finished the school year here.

Just one problem the job is quite badly paid. So to afford to pay the mortgage here and the rent back in the UK, we are going to need help, until I have a job as well. We have got our Spanish house for sale, but so has everybody else.

Now down to the bit that niggles me. I know some people totally disagree with people returning and trying to claim benefits. But what takes the biscuit is-

There's a guy living here, he's an ex druggie, his wife is somewhere in the UK still hooked on drugs. They've got 3 kids, who have spent the best part of their lives in care homes. Now the dad has won the right to look after them here in Spain. He doesn't work, he just sits around the bars here most of the day.
The social workers came to vet the place that the kids would be living in(with the dad's parents). They stayed in a top class hotel on the coast and came down to our town to interview the grandparents.
The father of the kids is being paid to look after his 3 kids(here in the sun). If he has to go back to the UK for to see the social workers, he goes all expenses paid ie. flights, hotel etc.

So he's having a life of Riley here, Oh, and he's still sat in the bar all day, whilst one of the kids is wagging school.

Talk about biggest waste of taxpayers money !

So basically, it's down to personal circumstances. We have never claimed anything. Hubby is already back in the system and will be paying tax and nat. insurance again.

It has been a rollercoaster ride for us here over the last few weeks, and like many other people are struggling due to the economnic downturn. We hold our hands up to say that we need some help, at this moment in time. Like I said it's down to personal circumstances.

I wish all people going through the same situation the very best of luck!
Old Jun 29th 2009, 2:53 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themercer4
The father of the kids is being paid to look after his 3 kids(here in the sun). If he has to go back to the UK for to see the social workers, he goes all expenses paid ie. flights, hotel etc.

How does the taxpayer pay for this?

UK benefits are not paid to people who live abroad. Sometimes they continue if someone is temporarily absent from the UK but that doesn't sound like this case.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 3:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by themercer4
We are going to be going through the interview process soon. (Sorry haven't got any tips)

Unfortunately, due to the crisis and lack of work here, we have to just shut our house up in Spain and head back to the UK.
My hubby left just over a week ago for a job interview and luckily enough he got the job(starts job today), and I leave next week, now that our children have finished the school year here.

Just one problem the job is quite badly paid. So to afford to pay the mortgage here and the rent back in the UK, we are going to need help, until I have a job as well. We have got our Spanish house for sale, but so has everybody else.

Now down to the bit that niggles me. I know some people totally disagree with people returning and trying to claim benefits. But what takes the biscuit is-

There's a guy living here, he's an ex druggie, his wife is somewhere in the UK still hooked on drugs. They've got 3 kids, who have spent the best part of their lives in care homes. Now the dad has won the right to look after them here in Spain. He doesn't work, he just sits around the bars here most of the day.
The social workers came to vet the place that the kids would be living in(with the dad's parents). They stayed in a top class hotel on the coast and came down to our town to interview the grandparents.

So he's having a life of Riley here, Oh, and he's still sat in the bar all day, whilst one of the kids is wagging school.

So basically, it's down to personal circumstances. We have never claimed anything. Hubby is already back in the system and will be paying tax and nat. insurance again.

It has been a rollercoaster ride for us here over the last few weeks, and like many other people are struggling due to the economnic downturn. We hold our hands up to say that we need some help, at this moment in time. Like I said it's down to personal circumstances.

I wish all people going through the same situation the very best of luck!
Whilst you strike me as honest, I fail to see why the UK taxpayer should pick up for your "second home" in Spain. And indeed, I do not think that you are going to get benefits to cover your Spanish mortgage, however honest your intentions are.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jun 29th 2009 at 3:05 am.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 4:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
How on earth they found out about that Spanish family that rented an apartment in Spain, but gave that up to come here and claim to be homeless, was beyond me! They ended up in a court for their false claim. I can understand how they found out if they had owned a property abroad, but renting....
Maybe they mentioned it on the internet...and the social services picked up on it.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 7:37 am
Just Joined

themercer4 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like to say To Bermuda Shorts

It is not " a second home". It is all I've got. I'm having to leave it empty as there is just no work in Spain. That is why I have to rent in the UK. Spain now has the highest unemployment rate in the EU.

I'm not uprooting my girls again just for the sake of it!

If I had a choice I would stay here. Hey but life is life. Honest I am!

Nichola.
Old Jun 29th 2009, 9:07 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How does the taxpayer pay for this?

UK benefits are not paid to people who live abroad. Sometimes they continue if someone is temporarily absent from the UK but that doesn't sound like this case.
Don't let that get in the way of a good dole-scroungers rant.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:33 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Maybe they mentioned it on the internet...and the social services picked up on it.
You're not far wrong .... my DIL works for the DWP and you would (or maybe not!) be amazed at how many "anonymous" tips they get.

My advice would be to never withhold information and always tell the full story. Others may or may not get away with many things but it's YOUR life that you will be messing up if you start down the path of deception.

J
Old Jun 30th 2009, 2:55 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingle
You're not far wrong .... my DIL works for the DWP and you would (or maybe not!) be amazed at how many "anonymous" tips they get.

My advice would be to never withhold information and always tell the full story. Others may or may not get away with many things but it's YOUR life that you will be messing up if you start down the path of deception.

J
I wasn't thinking so much about anon tips...more of internet surveillance.

I agree with your advice and would also add never post anything on the internet you don't want to whole world to see...including social services, inland revenue, your employer etc etc etc.
Old Jun 30th 2009, 11:47 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Jingle
And not just anonymous ones either.