Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

International Driving Permit with US license?

International Driving Permit with US license?

Old Jun 17th 2022, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

ArizonaTrail is an unknown quantity at this point
Default International Driving Permit with US license?

Hi all, I'm a dual UK/US citizen living in the US for the past twenty years. I'm currently in the UK and would like to drive through Europe with my wife over the summer. Neither of us got IDP's before we left the States and the AAA web site says that mailing them to us will take 5-7 weeks. We plan to leave in four weeks. I have an UK old paper license that is still valid but I believe to get a photo license and IDP off my UK license I need to state that I am resident in the UK, which I am not. Any ideas on how to get IDP's in our situation? I see some places online advertising fast turnarounds. What I can't figure out is whether US license holders MUST got through AAA or if we can get them from these fast services online. Any insights much appreciated...
Old Jun 19th 2022, 8:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: International Driving Permit with US license?

I think most countries in Europe accept US licenses. If you know which countries you are going to visit you can check ahead of time.

For sure having an IDP will be better.

Old Jun 19th 2022, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

ArizonaTrail is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to close the loop if anyone is reading this post later...I talked to AAA and it turns out that a friend or relative in the US can present your application materials to a AAA office and get the IDP for you on the spot and then send it to you. You do not have to be present to get the IDP. So this is what we'll be doing. Then the only waiting time is your friend/relative's patience and one trip across the Atlantic.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 12:54 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you’re staying for nine months then the DVLA would consider you resident so just renew your paper licence. You don’t need a IDP to drive in the EU/EEA/Switzerland with a UK photocard driving licence.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ArizonaTrail
........I have an UK old paper license that is still valid but I believe to get a photo license and IDP off my UK license I need to state that I am resident in the UK, which I am not. ...

Exchange your paper driving licence for a photocard licence - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Jun 21st 2022 at 10:00 am.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 1:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

The OP says he is not UK resident and from the link above it clearly states you have to be UK resident.

You’ll need to:
  • have your driving licence
  • be a resident of Great Britain
  • meet the minimum eyesight requirement
  • not be prevented from driving for any reason
  • pay £20 by MasterCard, Visa, Electron or Delta debit or credit card
  • have a valid UK passport or another form of identity
  • have your National Insurance number (if you know it)
  • provide addresses of where you have lived for the last 3 years
Old Jun 21st 2022, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Johnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of lightJohnboyuk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by durham_lad
The OP says he is not UK resident and from the link above it clearly states you have to be UK resident.

Yes, it is quite clear, they even want 3 years of addresses. They require you to exchange your UK licence when you move abroad for a local licence. The OP needs an IDP to use with his US licence. According to the information in the link, only Canada and Mexico accept US licences without an IDP. The link states 'bring both of them with you.' 1984 is well and truly here. Years ago, I would put my parents address on my UK licence but they have stopped all of that.

What Countries Accept a U.S. Driver's License? (motorbiscuit.com)

Last edited by Johnboyuk; Jun 21st 2022 at 1:41 pm.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
Yes, it is quite clear, they even want 3 years of addresses. They require you to exchange your UK licence when you move abroad for a local licence. The OP needs an IDP to use with his US licence. According to the information in the link, only Canada and Mexico accept US licences without an IDP. The link states 'bring both of them with you.' 1984 is well and truly here. Years ago, I would put my parents address on my UK licence but they have stopped all of that.

What Countries Accept a U.S. Driver's License? (motorbiscuit.com)

I have personally rented cars in several EU countries using my US licence and the rental companies have never asked for an IDP

Rick Steve’s advice is similar

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-ti...r-requirements

You may hear contradictory information on exactly where you need an IDP. People who sell them say you should have them almost everywhere. People who rent cars say you need them almost nowhere. People who drive rental cars say the IDP is overrated, but can come in handy as a complement to your passport and driver's license. It's a good idea to get one if you'll be driving in Austria, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Croatia, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Poland, Romania, Slovenia, Slovakia, or Spain — countries where you're technically required to carry a permit. If all goes well, you'll likely never be asked to show it — but the permit is a must if you end up dealing with the police. That said, I've never been asked to show one.

Old Jun 21st 2022, 2:22 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

In the OP’s other thread they mentioned they were going to be in the UK for nine months which makes them UK resident as far as the DVLA is concerned.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 2:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BritInParis
In the OP’s other thread they mentioned they were going to be in the UK for nine months which makes them UK resident as far as the DVLA is concerned.
This is true, I was just going on this thread where the OP specifically states that he is not UK resident. If he is a UK resident then he may be able to walk into any Post Office with his existing valid paper licence (only the address will be wrong). I got an IDP in 2019 at our local post office and it was very quick indeed.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/a...ts-and-brexit/

Originally Posted by ArizonaTrail
Hi all, I'm a dual UK/US citizen living in the US for the past twenty years. I'm currently in the UK and would like to drive through Europe with my wife over the summer. Neither of us got IDP's before we left the States and the AAA web site says that mailing them to us will take 5-7 weeks. We plan to leave in four weeks. I have an UK old paper license that is still valid but I believe to get a photo license and IDP off my UK license I need to state that I am resident in the UK, which I am not. Any ideas on how to get IDP's in our situation? I see some places online advertising fast turnarounds. What I can't figure out is whether US license holders MUST got through AAA or if we can get them from these fast services online. Any insights much appreciated...
Old Jun 21st 2022, 3:42 pm
Forum Regular

This is true, I was just going on this thread where the OP specifically states that he is not UK resident. If he is a UK resident then he may be able to walk into any Post Office with his existing valid paper licence (only the address will be wrong). I got an IDP in 2019 at our local post office and it was very quick indeed.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/travel/a...ts-and-brexit/
For residency, he can do this as long as he has been living in the UK for 185 days in the past 12 months and assuming he is not over 70.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Johnboyuk
For residency, he can do this as long as he has been living in the UK for 185 days in the past 12 months and assuming he is not over 70.

Absolutely.

His problem now in getting a new UK DL before he leaves on his travels is that it is only 4 weeks before he goes so that it might be tight to get it in that timescale (It took less than 2 weeks when we exchanged our old paper licences but that was in 2016). His paper licence is easily replaced with a new picture id but if the address is not correct then the paper licence is invalid.

https://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic...ou%20turn%2070.

However, if you were issued with a paper licence before March 2000, it may still be valid provided that all the information on it is still correct. Moving house or changing your name since receiving your licence, and not updating it, will make it invalid. You could be fined £1,000 if the police catch you using an invalid licence for any reason.
Old Jun 21st 2022, 4:44 pm

The paper licence is not valid if the address has changed so it’ll need to be exchanged for a photocard licence however this would negate the need for an IDP. Providing the application is online the OP should receive his new driving licence within five days.