Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Interest Rates...here we goooooo

Wikiposts

Interest Rates...here we goooooo

Old Aug 4th 2006, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Alan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to beholdAlan Prout is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Interest Rates...here we goooooo

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Hi Honeymommy, I am so pleased that hubby has found a great a job, last post I read he had just been made reduntant,as they say one door closes another opens. I thought that you had already bought a house, !!!!God that rent seems so high.

I am off to the U.K. again this year to take another look at returning for good,I must admit I do get put off when I see the price of houses !!!!!
apart from trying to buy a house, is there any other things you find difficult since your return?
cheers

Hi,

When you move back to the UK, where are you thinking of looking for property? Areas in the North are still fairly cheap and they're not all 'bad areas'.

I only ask because we have a gorgeous 5 Bed Edwardian semi-detached for sale on the East Coast for 170,000 GBP. Great for families/parties or even a B&B business which will give a very good income.

We have it advertised in the classifieds section of this site if you fancied taking a look.

Babs (Mrs P)
Old Aug 4th 2006, 9:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
You so lucky...you would never find anything like that around here...
With Interest rates up and house not selling, you maybe can get them down a bit

We said yesterday, we will buy when we can afford a house we want...

Just had a look where it is...is it nice where you live?...Considering it is between Slough, Drayton and Hayes?

Its only 19 miles away from us.....the problem is, hubby is working in Northwood and moving outside the M25 is a problem, because it is hell to get every morning back into it..so we decided against it.
My knowledge of Pinner is countryside and fields. Rather upmarket, but that memory is from childhood.
Langley is ... Hmmmm... A bit sort of cross between a village and a town...(built up over the last 15 yrs). Well it has it's not do good areas, but has some really nice areas. I wasn't keen after being here 6 months, but that was mainly due to being in California with wide open spaces and beach. I can say I am happy here. There isn't a lot of trouble. The other side of town by the M4 has a few streets with asbo's, but it doesn't cause problems where we are. I haven't seen any trouble since being here. Our neighbours are nice, and the kids have nice friends. I find it quite central for London and Reading for shopping days out. Thorpe park just up the road, and best of all Windsor only 15mins by car or about the same by train plus the walk to the station. There are nice parks to go to as a family. The kids are members of the local golf club and go fishing nearby with their uncle to a stocked lake... Hubby commutes 20 mins to work near heathrow, and I work 5 mins away at a hospital... So I guess you could say it fits us well.

If I had a choice I would live outside a town, but thats not possible with 4 kids as school runs would be a nightmare.

Oh Northwood is about a 30 min commute from here, by the way..
Old Aug 4th 2006, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the subject of Interest Rates, the rise caused the exchange rate to jump to 1.9 US dollars to the pound. :scared: This is a nightmare a month before I move back! I can keep the money from the house sale in a US account until the rate is better, but will need to transfer several thousand right away to get set up with all the essentials. Unless this changes in the next few weeks I can expect to halve the figure I transfer.
Old Aug 4th 2006, 6:55 pm
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

First interest rate rise..and I dont think that will be the last....
Maybe next year all of us will be able to buy a decent house
Swings and roundabouts though isn't it ?

Prices may drop but with higher interest rates your monthly mortgage would remain the same. The only thing if prices drop would be that any deposit would go further.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 12:39 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by BAY
Swings and roundabouts though isn't it ?

Prices may drop but with higher interest rates your monthly mortgage would remain the same. The only thing if prices drop would be that any deposit would go further.
Thats right...and we have a pretty good deposit
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

AtlantaJohn will become famous soon enoughAtlantaJohn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by honeymommy

Oh Northwood is about a 30 min commute from here, by the way..
Not in rush hour, my parents live in Moor Park right by Northwood and the Nato base. When I stayed with them last month while working in Teddington it was taking over an hour just to get on the the M25 some mornings (3 miles). It can take half an hour to turn right by the green man pub in Moor Park if you know it. Total drive time was 3 hours one day to get home leaving at 3 seriously for a distance of 12 miles!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

AtlantaJohn will become famous soon enoughAtlantaJohn will become famous soon enough

Thats right...and we have a pretty good deposit
You know being born in the area you are looking at I would imagine it will be one of the last places to drop unfortunatly. I can see the surronding parts of Watford and Harrow etc dropping but not Pinner, Rickmansworth, Northwood, Moor Park etc. Too many cash buyers, overseas buyers and rich people already living there who wont be affected by a point or 2 interest rate movement. I not saying it won't eventually but it may be a lot more resilient than othe areas. As a matter of interest my parents neighbours consitently rent a 4 bed house in Moor Park to Nato personel on two years contracts and are very happy with the deal.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AtlantaJohn
You know being born in the area you are looking at I would imagine it will be one of the last places to drop unfortunatly. I can see the surronding parts of Watford and Harrow etc dropping but not Pinner, Rickmansworth, Northwood, Moor Park etc. Too many cash buyers, overseas buyers and rich people already living there who wont be affected by a point or 2 interest rate movement. I not saying it won't eventually but it may be a lot more resilient than othe areas. As a matter of interest my parents neighbours consitently rent a 4 bed house in Moor Park to Nato personel on two years contracts and are very happy with the deal.
Moor Park eh...yeah right ...I bed they are I really dont want to know how much they charging them...but..what do they do if the camp is closing down?
Hubby is a civilian working as a IT Manager in Northwood camp and in 2007 there will be a big review in all the NATO Headquarter and there is talk that they maybe closing all but 3 down

Very depressing they fact that we cant buy anything decent at the moment and I refuse to buy something I'm not happy with.

Moor park is so far of the scale that I would have to win the Lotto even for renting

The traffic is exactly the reason, that there is no point to move outside the M25....
Old Aug 5th 2006, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Anne18 is an unknown quantity at this point

From someone trying to sell in the Midlands interest increase totally annoying!!! Prices are not rising here for resales only new builds. Market is dead.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Anne18
From someone trying to sell in the Midlands interest increase totally annoying!!! Prices are not rising here for resales only new builds. Market is dead.
Sorry...but every property sells for the right price.
Why must be a market death..only because prices are not rising....did they not rise enough in the last ten years
Old Aug 5th 2006, 9:57 am
BAY
BE Enthusiast

BAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to beholdBAY is a splendid one to behold

Sorry...but every property sells for the right price.
Why must be a market death..only because prices are not rising....did they not rise enough in the last ten years
Agree. The value of something is the price that someone is willing to pay, not what you demand it to be. Just keep dropping the price until someone agrees to pay it then you find what the value of your house is
Old Aug 5th 2006, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Moor Park eh...yeah right ...I bed they are I really dont want to know how much they charging them...but..what do they do if the camp is closing down?
Hubby is a civilian working as a IT Manager in Northwood camp and in 2007 there will be a big review in all the NATO Headquarter and there is talk that they maybe closing all but 3 down

Very depressing they fact that we cant buy anything decent at the moment and I refuse to buy something I'm not happy with.

Moor park is so far of the scale that I would have to win the Lotto even for renting

The traffic is exactly the reason, that there is no point to move outside the M25....
Not sure how big a place you are looking for but what do you think about Rickmansworth especially in the old town part?

Wow if they downsize the camp it will hurt the area however a lot of Americans that we know in Moor Park commute into London and work at the Embassy etc. Seems like the whole area up to Amersham and Gerrards Cross is very popular with Americans working in the city.
Old Aug 5th 2006, 10:33 pm
Just Joined

Anne18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothing to do with right price in our case, we have had 4 buyers, current one in chain, others could not raise finance or frightened by solicitors in regard to Grade II listing. Property was valued by 4 agents and on market well below their assessment. Obviously have been watching market in this area, a large number of properties have been on the market for over a year and they have dropped their prices. I would agree a lot are overpriced to begin with but main problem when selling you have a lot of people putting in offers 50 -100K below asking price! Bottom end of market prices are all over the place, new build house we sold 18 months ago is at same price now and same for similar properties in the area, older 3 bed semis have gone up £5 - 10K in 2 years - certain areas only, new developments seem to be selling mostly due to incentives and buy to let market and their prices have risen.

Best of it is we are 1 hr by mainline train from London and takes 2 hours by car to Oxford Street!
Old Aug 5th 2006, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AtlantaJohn
Not sure how big a place you are looking for but what do you think about Rickmansworth especially in the old town part?

Wow if they downsize the camp it will hurt the area however a lot of Americans that we know in Moor Park commute into London and work at the Embassy etc. Seems like the whole area up to Amersham and Gerrards Cross is very popular with Americans working in the city.
If they close the NATO headquarter...the camp will be still there, but just a normal British army camp and they dont rent from civilians....but still all the Ami's from London left for melking ...

I would like a 3 double bed..or 4 bed with a garage and a decent size garden in a quit area...thats all....but no more than 350k
Old Aug 6th 2006, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

I would like a 3 double bed..or 4 bed with a garage and a decent size garden in a quit area...thats all....but no more than 350k
Its pretty difficult to get anything fitting that description thats detached under about 500 these days thats an easy commute to Northwood and in a nice area. Even excouncils in places like South Oxhey are heading towards 300! Maybe something in Croxley Green or Oxhey Village may just squeak into that range?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.