Reload this Page >

Insurance for shipping back

Insurance for shipping back

Old Nov 1st 2009, 11:54 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Insurance for shipping back

Hi all.

I know this has probably been asked before but I want to know if there are any companies other than the shippers that will insure your goods. The shipping company want you to list all the items e.t.c but it is a lot of faffing about.

Did anyone pay a set fee for an insured value, thanks.
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Insurance for shipping back

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi all.

I know this has probably been asked before but I want to know if there are any companies other than the shippers that will insure your goods. The shipping company want you to list all the items e.t.c but it is a lot of faffing about.

try this link

http://www.shipping-insurance.com/
Old Nov 1st 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by shelley748

when we left tauranga newzealand, with a 20ft container we never had any insurance, the ship never sank and we received all our goods in one piece,
but we did pack container ourselves, and all roped down inside to stop it moving
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 9:19 am
Account Closed

Funky Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for both your replies and I have looked at the link, thanks again.
Old Nov 2nd 2009, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

stm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of lightstm1971 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Funky Monkey
Hi all.

I think some people have used these with success.

http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/
Old Nov 7th 2009, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

welshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to allwelshwales is a name known to all

Originally Posted by concretepump
when we left tauranga newzealand, with a 20ft container we never had any insurance, the ship never sank and we received all our goods in one piece,
but we did pack container ourselves, and all roped down inside to stop it moving
how hard was it to arrange all the shipping yourself ?
Old Nov 7th 2009, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by welshwales
how hard was it to arrange all the shipping yourself ?
peace of cake, we used think it was world wide movers from wellington
john cervelo they gave us three quotes for a 20ft container started off
door to door about $9500 if they pack port to port if they pack so you pick it up from port yourself £8000 or door to door if you pack your self which we did gave them a date to drop container, we loaded it and they picked it up on same day $ 6000 these are all estimates as i cant find old bills,
just make sure you pack floor to ceiling heavy on bottom light on top then if you have some room go to miter ten buy some rope and tie it down so as it wont move, we have a letter saying when it was being delivered in UK
most of ours was still in boxs in NZ because we had a rental so knew we would have to move, but didn't think it would be back to UK hope this helps
Old Nov 7th 2009, 2:00 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Just as an addition, having spent my life in international shipping, it is really easy to arrange your own shipping. If you google your route you will come up with a number of shipping lines or consolidators. Dont assume that a freight consolidator will be more expensive than going to the line direct. they buy in bulk often, so you can get a discounted rate sometimes through them. For instance with Australasia we used to use a company called Planetwide in London. They are not a shipping line, but are a consolidation agent.

Given the option then go to an insurance company direct for marine insurance. By using the shipping line all you are doing is interjecting a third party in the middle, who will of course want their cut. Make sure there are no disclaimers in the policies about claims being void if the goods are not professionally packed.

And one final thing .... about shipping without insurance. I know its not something you come across very often, but if the vessel your cargo is on suffers a catastrophic event, the shipping line can declare a General Average. That means that all the people with cargo on that vessel have to contribute towards restitution costs, which is normally covered in an insurance policy. If you havent got a policy then YOU pay!