British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Inspiration for those seeking retirement in the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/inspiration-those-seeking-retirement-uk-933853/)

jenninedinburgh Jul 18th 2020 2:14 pm

Inspiration for those seeking retirement in the UK

I am not sure how old this page is, but lots of perks to being over 60 in the UK. Happy reading!

durham_lad Jul 18th 2020 2:24 pm

Re: Inspiration for those seeking retirement in the UK

Nice website and list of benefits and discounts, many of which we have bought into or are receiving. Jealous of the free bus travel in Scotland and Wales, but in February I will finally get my free bus pass when I get to 66 and start getting my OAP. We have good access to buses where we live and will be taking advantage of free bus travel soon. The senior rail card has also saved us a bunch as we prefer to travel long distance by train rather than car. Last year we went by train to Penrith on our way to The Scilly Isles and later in the year to London on our way to Paris. (No senior discount on Eurostar though.)

GOALFIRE Jul 18th 2020 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by jenninedinburgh (Post 12883592)
I am not sure how old this page is, but lots of perks to being over 60 in the UK. Happy reading!

Thanks for sharing! Hopefully they're all still offered in 12 years when I'm 60!

jenninedinburgh Jul 18th 2020 6:18 pm

Originally Posted by GOALFIRE (Post 12883650)
Thanks for sharing! Hopefully they're all still offered in 12 years when I'm 60!

13 years for me :) Hubby can take advantage of Scot Rail's Club 50 in a few months though.

jenninedinburgh Jul 18th 2020 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12883601)
Nice website and list of benefits and discounts, many of which we have bought into or are receiving. Jealous of the free bus travel in Scotland and Wales, but in February I will finally get my free bus pass when I get to 66 and start getting my OAP. We have good access to buses where we live and will be taking advantage of free bus travel soon. The senior rail card has also saved us a bunch as we prefer to travel long distance by train rather than car. Last year we went by train to Penrith on our way to The Scilly Isles and later in the year to London on our way to Paris. (No senior discount on Eurostar though.)

My mum has traveled with me in Europe the past couple of years. Most recently to Rome in December (just before Covid :scaredhair:). I was amazed at how many discounts she was able to get as a Senior whilst traveling. With regard to the bus passes in Scotland, I'll never forget the first time I saw a senior flash his blue card at the bus driver - I thought - how cool!

scot47 Jul 19th 2020 4:06 pm

I have had great use of my bus pass since I retired. Not much used during lockdown, but i will be flashing my blue pass at bus drivers again soon !

https://www.transport.gov.scot/conce...isabled/#37402

jenninedinburgh Jul 20th 2020 1:25 am

Originally Posted by scot47 (Post 12884123)
I have had great use of my bus pass since I retired. Not much used during lockdown, but i will be flashing my blue pass at bus drivers again soon !

https://www.transport.gov.scot/conce...isabled/#37402

Nice :) Enjoy your travels.

morpeth Jul 20th 2020 8:16 am

Originally Posted by durham_lad (Post 12883601)

I use the discount for rail travel, and look forward to the free bus pass Add in cheaper travel to Europe, and the NHS, and many compelling reasons to retire in some parts of the UK. Not just the cost, the availability of bus and trains alone a benefit for the elderly especially when compared to the USA. The other benefit some decent ways to shelter investment income, such as the 20% tax deduction for personal pensions.