Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Inspiration to help you decide to move back

Inspiration to help you decide to move back

Old Jan 25th 2009, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ruby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond reputeRuby Murray has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inspiration to help you decide to move back

The one I'm after next is the Notes from a Big Country (or as I've also seen it titled "I'm a Stranger Here Myself")........can't wait
Old Jan 27th 2009, 12:13 am

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Spending Christmas in the UK and being surprised at still feeling 'at home' was a good indicator I suppose. Also, getting along with my dad much better than in recent years made me get very introspective about the many reasons why I left.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 5:25 pm
Homesick Lady

Originally Posted by backagen
Have you seen or heard or read something that has given you some kind of inspiration or assisted you to make up your mind to move back to UK?

I'm still struggling to decide for lots of highly complex reasons.

However I noticed a book while just browsing in Angus & Robertson yesterday called "Mustn't Grumble - An accidental return to England" by Joe Bennett.

I won't say it has magically solved all my problems by any means, but after a quick look I knew I had to buy it and have done so, because it's about a guy (the author) who returned to UK after 18 years away (which is about how long I've been away) and he gives and excellent and very descriptive and detailed account of that experience, which involves travelling to various parts of Britain.

Anyway I just find that if I'm having one of those days when I'm more stressed and indecisive than usual about whether to move back or not, reading this helps to at least calm me down a bit!

I recommend that you take a look at it in a book shop and maybe buy it if you're in a similar situation to me (very indecisive). Like I said it hasn't made me instantly make a decision but it helps a bit, and it is a very interesting and overall quite a nice account of modern English life, told by an ex-pat Englishman who has returned after a long time away, so we can probably all relate to his experience.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to let each other know if we have seen or read or watched something (book, video, website, magazine or whatever) that might help us decide what to do, or to feel a bit better about making the decision to move back to UK.

If so please let us know where to find it!
thanks for the inspiration! I will definitely try to find this book.I have been in Canada now for 11 years and I think overall its been an experience but as they say you can take the girl out of London but you can't take London out of the girl or something like that!! I always think about going back to UK but having kids here who know nothing else its difficult maybe I will retire back there! who knows but I hate the winters here thats for sure!