Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Old Sep 28th 2012, 6:19 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Inflation has dropped in the UK to just 2.6%

Originally Posted by bingobob777
I think this thread sums up perfectly the financial illiteracy of a large proportion of the British population (i'm not saying anywhere else is better).

Don't understand the difference between deficit and debt
Don't understand that a fall in inflation to 2.5% actually means prices are still rising at 2.5%
Don't understand that the items used to get to the 2.5% are totally rigged
Don't understand that without the expansion of hundreds of billions of pounds of credit the UK would have been in, or near recession since early 2000's

The cost of housing is going to affect the UK economy for at least another decade, no one has money to spend, there are no new jobs (of any meaningful scale), the Govt debt is getting larger every month.
Can you imagine the effect if all that QE got into the real economy?
Old Sep 28th 2012, 7:20 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of housing is going to affect the UK economy for at least another decade, no one has money to spend, there are no new jobs (of any meaningful scale), the Govt debt is getting larger every month.
You are basically describing most Western nations including the one we left.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 10:42 am
Just Joined

mel39 is on a distinguished road

I think this thread sums up perfectly the financial illiteracy of a large proportion of the British population (i'm not saying anywhere else is better).

Don't understand the difference between deficit and debt
Don't understand that a fall in inflation to 2.5% actually means prices are still rising at 2.5%
Don't understand that the items used to get to the 2.5% are totally rigged
Don't understand that without the expansion of hundreds of billions of pounds of credit the UK would have been in, or near recession since early 2000's

Erm - that last paragraph could equally apply to Australia - federal and state governments slashing jobs and spending, vastly overpriced housing market, retail up the creek as no one is spending, Australian banking sector highly dependent on overseas funding...
In terms of credit expansion - surely the Australian housing sector is the very definition of a credit fuelled boom without which the economy would have imploded - as the saying goes, "houses and holes". Add in a dash of steroids in the form of the first home buyer grants...
Old Sep 28th 2012, 11:12 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I don't understand why people get so defensive about factual negative information about the UK. It seems any time the slightest piece of negative factual information about the UK is mentioned (and I'm not talking about purposeful Britbashing or deliberately provoking people by posting the latest Daily Mail headline) it's followed by an immediate set of soundbites that "yes, but everywhere is as bad", or "Australia is no picnic".

The thread topic is about the UK economy, in a forum about moving back to the UK, not about life in other countries. Don't take it so personally if the news doesn't make the UK sound like paradise.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 12:01 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It's totally normal to compare.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 2:52 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Just what I expected - so predictable.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

mel39 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't understand why people get so defensive about factual negative information about the UK. It seems any time the slightest piece of negative factual information about the UK is mentioned (and I'm not talking about purposeful Britbashing or deliberately provoking people by posting the latest Daily Mail headline) it's followed by an immediate set of soundbites that "yes, but everywhere is as bad", or "Australia is no picnic".

The thread topic is about the UK economy, in a forum about moving back to the UK, not about life in other countries. Don't take it so personally if the news doesn't make the UK sound like paradise.
Just interested why people living in Australia post on a "moving back to the UK" forum about the UK economy when they don't live in the UK (assuming based on the profiles)
Old Sep 28th 2012, 4:01 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by mel39
Just interested why people living in Australia post on a "moving back to the UK" forum about the UK economy when they don't live in the UK (assuming based on the profiles)
Sometimes the profile locations aren't accurate (they haven't been changed), sometimes the person is living overseas but considering moving back to the UK, or sometimes they are just genuinely interested in contributing to the debate on life in the UK, even though they no longer live here.

I still contribute to the US forum occasionally, even though I don't live there any more. No-one has ever suggested my opinion or advice wasn't wanted or questioned why I post there.

Other times, it is simply someone who moved overseas because they hated the UK and it serves some sort of self-gratifying purpose to constantly slam the UK (I'm not saying that's the case with the OP).

If someone is contributing in a thoughtful, meaningful fashion to the ongoing debate about the UK, I couldn't care less where they are located.

I get more irritated when someone clearly just has an axe to grind and inexorably repeats in rote fashion the same insubstantial mantra in multiple threads. (Can you tell I'm not a fan of Twitter?)
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:42 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by mel39
Yes it is weird thats for sure.
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by dunroving
Just what I expected - so predictable.
There you go, I wouldnt want to disappoint you
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
You are basically describing most Western nations including the one we left.
Ditto! Food prices have been rising here in Canada at an alarming rate. Oh forgot, tv's and electronic items are coming down so we should be grateful
Old Sep 28th 2012, 5:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I believe that inflation does not apply to the UK only and I think we have to be aware that there are hard times ahead no matter where you live. I would rather struggle a bit, budget, shop within our means and be close to our family and friends in the UK than struggle with inflation cut off from your family because the airfares are increasing so much. Bring back the times post WW2 when we had to cook our own meals instead of getting a take away, keep our clothes for longer, entertain at home and go back to the simple life. We do not need the latest gadgets and phones and computers, but tell that to the younger generation, they are the ones who will have to adjust. Most of us on here, correct me if I am wrong, are baby boomers whose parents survived the war!
Old Sep 29th 2012, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zen10
Ah, deflation kept at bay only by wild money-printing, collapse of the financial industry, heavy revisionist power expanding its military and threatening democratic neighbours with conflict...

Your starter for 10 - is it the 1930s or the 2010s?
On a (semi ) serious note. It doesn't take that much for a society to breakdown and leave a void where anarchy and/or miltancy take over. Hurricane Katrina, London Riots, a small taster of what can happen when law and order collapses. Imagine what it would be like if Britain couldn't feed itself. There's even reports now of allotment owners doing security shifts to protect their onions.

I have a wonderful picture of my in-laws wedding during WW2. The got married on Xmas day in order that what little luxuries were available were shared between the two occasions, Xmas day & the wedding. The picture of the main group showed about 60 people, everyone, except one was gaunt in appearance. The exception being Uncle ? who was the local butcher.

UK population 1945 - 47 million
UK population 2012 - 62 million

Can't see Uncle ? bringing home the bacon for that lot.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 7:50 am
Banned

Imagine if there was another Ice Age, I would have to buy some long trousers.
Old Sep 29th 2012, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Bud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond reputeBud the Wiser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I would rather struggle a bit, budget, shop within our means and be close to our family and friends in the UK than struggle with inflation cut off from your family because the airfares are increasing so much.
The value of which, along with a sense of belonging, is unquantifiable in economic terms.

Originally Posted by feelbritish
Bring back the times post WW2 when we had to cook our own meals instead of getting a take away, keep our clothes for longer, entertain at home and go back to the simple life. We do not need the latest gadgets and phones and computers, but tell that to the younger generation, they are the ones who will have to adjust. Most of us on here, correct me if I am wrong, are baby boomers whose parents survived the war!
Nice romantic idea, until the take away closes down, which affects the take away suppliers and their workers, same with the clothing store and the entertainment venues until eventually the chain of prosperity grinds to a halt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.